• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WITF-FM Hidden Audio Subcarrier (Radio Reading Service)

Right, I mean I couldn't find anything online specifically about WITF-FM having an SCA signal. I guess they don't publish anything about it because it's just supposed to be for the visually impaired.
Hmm. I guess so. I had an idea, why can't 76k and 96k be used for actually decodable audio or just other stuff stations want to put out?

They should of redesigned the system when HD Radio came out.

They should of redesigned the system when HD Radio came out.
Yes they absolutely should've, but I'm starting to think Ibquity had too much control over HD. I've heard of "FMeXtra" which does use the inner subcarriers, and thus is more efficient and less interference.

Yes they absolutely should've, but I'm starting to think Ibquity had too much control over HD. I've heard of "FMeXtra" which does use the inner subcarriers, and thus is more efficient and less interference.
Ibiquity owned and created HD, so of course they had full and total control of it. Ibitquity was formed using already well developed technology from what had long ago been AT&T Laboratories, added an AM component to insure the FCC would look at it favorably (a one-chip solution) and got nearly all the larger station owners to make initial seed capital investments.

Digital Radio Express, the FM eXtra firm, went out of business. It was employed in several European nations, but they abandoned it.

Ibiquity owned and created HD, so of course they had full and total control of it. Ibitquity was formed using already well developed technology from what had long ago been AT&T Laboratories, added an AM component to insure the FCC would look at it favorably (a one-chip solution) and got nearly all the larger station owners to make initial seed capital investments.

Digital Radio Express, the FM eXtra firm, went out of business. It was employed in several European nations, but they abandoned it.
That reminds me... if David Sarnoff had his way, AM would be the only band, etc. šŸ˜¬

Last edited:
That reminds me... if David Sarnoff had his way, AM would be the only band, etc.
Not really. Sarnoff wanted FM postponed or relegated to an auxiliary service so as not to interfere with what he saw as a much more profitable opportunity to develop and monetize television.

Sarnoff's first block was to get the FCC to re-allocate FM to what is today's band, making all the experimental FM stations from the pre-WW II period obsolete. He then tried to develop alternative FM technology so as to thwart Major Armstrong's patents.

Sarnoff was an aggressive... some would say "vicious"... businessperson.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom