• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WIOD Weekends

I noticed the other day that WIOD's weekend schedules have changed, and two syndicated programs with a great deal of fans in South Florida have lost their long-standing spots on the station, Cigar Dave and Gary Sullivan. I don't listen to Gary's show much anymore, but when I did and he was on Sunday, a large percentage of the callers came from the Miami-FTL area. While Cigar Dave wasn't always live, he acknowledged the listenership and feedback from Miami, a city he visits frequently (it's "the other cigar city."). Now it seems 5A-9A Saturday is simply paid programming, and 9-10 is "Doctors On Call," which sounds paid but I don't know. 1-2 is now The Car Guys, sponsored by Toyota of Hollywood, and 2-3 is "Money Matters in America," which also sounds paid.

Jesus Christ still managed to keep Sundays live, 8-11 PM is this show - http://www.recoverynationlive.com - and 11P-1A is now Coast to Coast, so Bill Cunningham loses to a rerun. I wonder if he's lost any other stations besides WABC lately.

livingfruitvirus said:
I noticed the other day that WIOD's weekend schedules have changed, and two syndicated programs with a great deal of fans in South Florida have lost their long-standing spots on the station, Cigar Dave and Gary Sullivan. I don't listen to Gary's show much anymore, but when I did and he was on Sunday, a large percentage of the callers came from the Miami-FTL area. While Cigar Dave wasn't always live, he acknowledged the listenership and feedback from Miami, a city he visits frequently (it's "the other cigar city."). Now it seems 5A-9A Saturday is simply paid programming, and 9-10 is "Doctors On Call," which sounds paid but I don't know. 1-2 is now The Car Guys, sponsored by Toyota of Hollywood, and 2-3 is "Money Matters in America," which also sounds paid.

Jesus Christ still managed to keep Sundays live, 8-11 PM is this show - http://www.recoverynationlive.com - and 11P-1A is now Coast to Coast, so Bill Cunningham loses to a rerun. I wonder if he's lost any other stations besides WABC lately.

Cigar Dave is on WAXY. Which, I think is an awful fit. Particularly, at the Noon- 2pm slot on a Saturday. Makes very little sense. But, does tell me LFM is taking any money that comes their way. I don't know if Gary is on another station yet?

Most of the weekend stuff on WIOD is paid programming now. Even the ones that dont seem paid are likely paid through a mandatory clearance from Clear Channel corporate.

otherradioboy said:
Most of the weekend stuff on WIOD is paid programming now. Even the ones that dont seem paid are likely paid through a mandatory clearance from Clear Channel corporate.

Seems to be the route many AMs are going now.

jbrasco951 said:
Cigar Dave is live from noon to 2pm Saturdays

Never got into Gary Sullivan.

that's my two cents.

I listened to Gary but grew out quick, and soon found Bill Handel who's on at the same time Saturday. It seems Premiere doesn't have the easiest time selling Gary's show, otherwise we wouldn't hear ads for Gary's show website or the iheartradio iPhone app in the network spots.

Yep the CC calling card is to air weekend paid programming. At least on WIOD, most of the shows fit the format, and are live in studio. Not the same with 940 WINZ, which you can hear airing face cream commercials at 2 PM on Saturday, while 560 and 790 are airing sports.

But hey, what do you expect from a station that I heard airing like 7-8 different Scott's Weed Puller commercials per hour of Heat broadcasts?

I take back my post about Jesus Christ retaining his show. It has since been cut down to one hour. 10-noon is now "The Rezny Wealth Report." This now gives WIOD a total of 17 hours of brokered programming on weekends. What's left is Ric Edelman, Jesus show 1 hour, Mike McConnell's weekend program delayed, a 3-hour Glenn Beck best-of, a 3-hour Sean Hannity best-of, a 3-hour Rush Limbaugh best-of, half of an old Art Bell Coast to Coast, 2 hours of George Noory best-of, and a delayed 2-hour broadcast of a Phil Hendrie show from the week. Oh, and live Coast to Coast.

I wonder how much time WINZ sells on weekends. Their programming page is blank. Well done.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom