• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will WMAL drop news and go country in 2013?

M

Molly2011

What do you think? Will this hurt WMZQ or is there room for 2 country stations in DC

I saw this thread on DCRTV earlier today. If Cumulus did go with Country on WMAL-FM, it would certainly shave a few points off of WMZQ, but wouldn't they just be dividing up an already small pie? ??? Country is already well served in the Virginia suburbs with big signals (and big shares) for the incumbents in Fredericksburg and Winchester.

My two cents is that it would make more sense for Cumulus to go after WIHT with CHR. Current market trends would suggest that there are more shares available in a CHR battle than there are in a Country battle. Even with Cumulus' particularly bland and cautious approach to CHR, I think there's more money to be made with that FM signal than there is in Country or as a right-wing relay. Of course, what would then be the impact to WIHT, WPGC, WIAD or WRQX? A milquetoast CHR, might shave a few shares off of WIHT and/or WPGC with some collateral damage to WIAD and WRQX (which Cumulus surely wouldn't like). I would hope (against available evidence) that Cumulus would put a quality CHR on the air and actually make Clear Channel work for those shares instead of just phoning it in...

In short, I don't really see any format holes, per se. But with WIHT regularly sitting at 2nd or 3rd in the PPM's, those are the shares that someone would likely want to snare.

That frequency once was a country station many years ago. I think it was Kix Country. They never beat WMZQ in the ratings, but seems to me they won a CMA Award for best morning show once.

Isn't Mix 107.3 sort of an Adult CHR as it is? I know it was sounding like one a while back. With Cumulus's CHR's being adult friendly and conservative as it is, wouldn't there be too much overlap?

I wonder how an adult/variety hits format would work in DC. Or, perhaps another stab at classic hits, but locally programmed? 105.9's ratings were really bad with the latter format, though. Surprised it didn't do better in DC, but it was executed poorly (IMO). The nation's capital seems lacking in gold-based formats.

carolinaradio said:
I wonder how an adult/variety hits format would work in DC.

They tried it on 103.9/104.1...George FM. Though most knew it was a placeholder until Bonneville could unload the stations. Didn't sound much different than their AAA/modern AC "Z104"/"104" format before that.

Speaking of 104.1 and Adult CHR...since Bonneville is no longer in DC, is the "Z" name available to use around here? That was a pretty excellent CHR format in the late 90's and probably still has a good deal of recognition amongst young'uns who listened to it...and they were everywhere. Had Z104 DJ's spinning the tunes at our HS homecoming dance down at King George County, VA in '98...good times!

Honestly, if it weren't for Hot 99.5 signing on a better metro signal, you'd still see Z104 on the air. Night and day difference in the energy and presentation of the two stations...

Actually, given this area's obsession with the 90's tech boom and good fortunes that the decade brought to DC, I'd think this would be one of the few areas where a "Gen X" type 90's music format would thrive. Nobody really plays that stuff in DC anymore. And would allow 107.3 to morph a bit more CHR-ish and kind of lock up the hot AC/CHR format in the area.

Why not? Z105-9!!! It may be a better format choice than True Oldies, or the Edge, or WMAL-FM...

Radio-X

carolinaradio said:
Isn't Mix 107.3 sort of an Adult CHR as it is? I know it was sounding like one a while back. With Cumulus's CHR's being adult friendly and conservative as it is, wouldn't there be too much overlap?

@carolinaradio - That's sort of what I was trying to say in my earlier post about a potential Cumulus CHR doing collateral damage to Mix. However, the imaging and presentation of Mix always sounds more AC/Hot AC than an adult CHR. I know I'm splitting hairs with that statement, but the "feel" of Mix 107.3 has always been uber conservative, which I tend to equate more with AC or Hot AC. CBS' WIAD is actually the "hotter" of the two stations, spin for spin. Again, I know I'm splitting hairs. <shrug>

radiodxrichmond said:
carolinaradio said:

They tried it on 103.9/104.1...George FM. Though most knew it was a placeholder until Bonneville could unload the stations. Didn't sound much different than their AAA/modern AC "Z104"/"104" format before that.

Speaking of 104.1 and Adult CHR...since Bonneville is no longer in DC, is the "Z" name available to use around here? That was a pretty excellent CHR format in the late 90's and probably still has a good deal of recognition amongst young'uns who listened to it...and they were everywhere. Had Z104 DJ's spinning the tunes at our HS homecoming dance down at King George County, VA in '98...good times!

<snipped for brevity>

Why not? Z105-9!!! It may be a better format choice than True Oldies, or the Edge, or WMAL-FM...

Radio-X

Clear Channel has Z104.3 just up the road in Baltimore and it can be heard in the northern and eastern DC suburbs, but the Z moniker is open for use in the DC market.

I *loved* the mid-90's Z104, although I have to lament that Bonneville owned it at the time. Bonneville, with its affiliation with the LDS church, always neutered their CHRs. Unnecessary edits to hits songs were their trademark in the format. The song "Sexual" by Amber (circ. 1999) was heavily edited and the title lyric changed to "Sensual" - and that's just one example that I remember from more than 13 years ago. They did it with lots of songs on Z104. I thought it was a local PD driven choice until I was in San Francisco later that summer and got the opportunity to sample Bonneville's Z95.7. Lo an behold, the same spins with the same edits...very annoying and totally unnecessary.

Other than that, WWZZ and WWVZ were awesome stations for that era. Very personality driven and scrappy - it's just too bad that they were reigned in by Bonneville executives and that they never *quite* got that Waldorf signal up to par.

The aforementioned 95.7 in SF is now all-sports - which is one option for WMAL-FM - a possible clearinghouse for the new CBS Sports Radio Network with which Cumulus is heavily involved - and puts them right next to (local) all-sports 106.7. (Plugging CBSSR on AM 630 and leaving news/talk on 105.9 is another option, but I recall a Cumulus bigwig saying the migration from AM to FM for WMAL has not worked at all...)

JWPinVA said:
radiodxrichmond said:
carolinaradio said:

<snipped for brevity>

Radio-X

Clear Channel has Z104.3 just up the road in Baltimore and it can be heard in the northern and eastern DC suburbs, but the Z moniker is open for use in the DC market.

I *loved* the mid-90's Z104, although I have to lament that Bonneville owned it at the time. Bonneville, with its affiliation with the LDS church, always neutered their CHRs. Unnecessary edits to hits songs were their trademark in the format. The song "Sexual" by Amber (circ. 1999) was heavily edited and the title lyric changed to "Sensual" - and that's just one example that I remember from more than 13 years ago. They did it with lots of songs on Z104. I thought it was a local PD driven choice until I was in San Francisco later that summer and got the opportunity to sample Bonneville's Z95.7. Lo an behold, the same spins with the same edits...very annoying and totally unnecessary.

Other than that, WWZZ and WWVZ were awesome stations for that era. Very personality driven and scrappy - it's just too bad that they were reigned in by Bonneville executives and that they never *quite* got that Waldorf signal up to par.
But you have to admit that Bonneville actually did a pretty good job with it and the one in San Fran. Yes, their unnecessary edits because the Mormons will get up in arms about it is annoying. In fact, any unnecessary editing is just annoying. However, when DC lacked a Top 40 for 5 years, Z came on pretty strong with much fanfare.
From what I've read, Z as a Modern AC was really down. Is this true?

Bring Gold Based Stations To Washington D.C. on 105.9 FM !! They Are lacking of Classic Stations!!! Replace WMAL-FM To Another Radio Format!!!!!
Try Adult Hits,Classic Country,Classic Hits,AAA,AOR,Bob or Jack FM,Americana,Comedy,CHR,New Country,Dance,Rhythmic Oldies,Rhythmic Adult Contemporary or Rhythmic Top 40,Quiet storm,Polka,Traditional pop music,Space Music,Middle of the road,Hot Adult Contemprary,Big band,Psychedelic rock,Mainstream Rock, Children's radio,Soul music,Try Oldies A Country with a mix of Classic & New Country!!!! They have Too much News/Talk Stations around the area and the arbitron ratings are very poor and there needs to be a permanent format change!!!!!!

Cumulus is trying to put together a national country brand. The FM simulcast has added little to the WMAL talk numbers. It is probably costing them more in electricity then in the additional sales they have generated. When will they change and will it be country

JWPinVA said:
...I *loved* the mid-90's Z104, although I have to lament that Bonneville owned it at the time. Bonneville, with its affiliation with the LDS church, always neutered their CHRs. Unnecessary edits to hits songs were their trademark in the format. The song "Sexual" by Amber (circ. 1999) was heavily edited and the title lyric changed to "Sensual" - and that's just one example that I remember from more than 13 years ago. They did it with lots of songs on Z104...

Does Bonneville own any CHR's currently? I wonder how they'd hack a certain lyric in Bruno Mars' "Locked Out Of Heaven"... :eek:

If 105.9 FM WMAL-FM changes formats a Country Format in 2013 With Cumulus Media , Cumulus has debuted with a new national Country Brand! Debuted as "Nash FM" on 1/21/13! & WMAL-FM could have sucessful ratings from Arbitron ! & hopefully compete with 98.7 WMZQ!! & it would be Branded as 105.9 "Nash FM"!! Change To a Country Format to WMAL-FM NOW!!!! DC Needs Gold Based & Less talk Stations!!!
http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/netgnomes/79538/is-cumulus-planning-a-national-country-brand/
http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/79293/cumulus-acquires-94-7-wfme-new-york/
http://www.nashfm947.com/

105.9 is not the signal to put a country station on if Cumulus wants to take a huge bite out of WMZQ, which in itself does not have a great signal in Maryland, at least in the College Park area. Now, if they for some reasong wanted to put country on 107.3 and move WRQX to 105.9 that could be a game changer.

This has probably been said but Cumulus basically has a CHR with Mix. Look at the other CHR's they own and they are all really conservative musically. Good thought though.

And if you thought Bonneville reigned in a CHR, Jan Jefferies is really conservative in his philosophy. Always has been.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom