• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will this help radio financially?

I was filing out an online survey for a radio station. I was asked if I would consider paying a monthly subscription to access this station’s online stream.

Does anyone think this is the route radio companies will take in order to increase revenue?

Attachments

• 72D9E5DD-B335-4EF1-9A59-FD904EAEFAF7.jpeg
    72D9E5DD-B335-4EF1-9A59-FD904EAEFAF7.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 17
I was filing out an online survey for a radio station. I was asked if I would consider paying a monthly subscription to access this station’s online stream.

Does anyone think this is the route radio companies will take in order to increase revenue?
No, unless the fee includes a large variety of different stations and formats with no commercials or limited commercials. Who would pay for one radio station with ads when we can get a number of either free streams or relatively inexpensive paid ones with many channels, like Sirius/XM?

Stations and media companies are always exploring ways to try and monetize things like their streaming service. While I'm sure some may be exploring paid services like this, and perhaps some of their die hard listeners who really like their particular music mix and format may bite, I'd think it's definitely an uphill battle. There are just too many other offerings out there, already established. Spotify, Pandora, people building their own music mixes in their phones or MP3 players, and services like SiriusXM which offer several different "channels" to listen to, and the basic tier for that isn't much more expensive than the amount of $$ this station is suggesting, depending on the plan.

This is radio saying they can't monetize streams via spot sales. The whole broadcast dollars to digital dimes thing---and ten-plus years in, they're not even getting the dimes.

I'm also marveling at how clunky a commercial-free online stream of a commercial music radio station would sound.

I mean, the tech is already there----most radio station streams cover the broadcast commercials with PSAs, promos and spots sold as part of a digital package (website/streaming). All they'd have to do is insert music in that space (unless they're really venal and want to charge you for PSAs and promos, arguing that they aren't commercials).

But what music? Songs the station doesn't usually play to avoid repetition when the stream rejoins what's on air? Would you want to hear them?

Or do they not worry about that and maybe you hear "Hold Me Closer" twice in 20 minutes? And given that the number of songs or songs paired together that would exactly fit to cover the spot break would be small, what would they do? Fade in/out? Hard cut in/out?

The ad-supported model is not working. Advertisers only want to sponsor a small part of the day, and listeners hate the interruptions. The #1 complaint about radio is the advertising. Streaming is more expensive compared to on-air. So to eliminate commercials, the station needs another revenue stream. My sense is they're asking this question to present the listeners with a choice: Free with 15 minutes of commercials, or paid with no commercials. Then the question is how much.

The ad-supported model is not working. Advertisers only want to sponsor a small part of the day, and listeners hate the interruptions. The #1 complaint about radio is the advertising. Streaming is more expensive compared to on-air. So to eliminate commercials, the station needs another revenue stream. My sense is they're asking this question to present the listeners with a choice: Free with 15 minutes of commercials, or paid with no commercials. Then the question is how much.

And again, what you cover the OTA commercials with.

I can't imagine paying for a radio station's stream - mostly because what I hear on the radio is unimaginative and uninspired. The fact we don't like listening to the commercials is not an indictment of commercials, but of the content. If the content is not worth waiting through a long break, its not worth paying a monthly fee.

I can't imagine paying for a radio station's stream - mostly because what I hear on the radio is unimaginative and uninspired. The fact we don't like listening to the commercials is not an indictment of commercials, but of the content. If the content is not worth waiting through a long break, its not worth paying a monthly fee.
With all due respect, the spot loads back in the 60's and 70's were about as high as they are now, but there were two huge differences: many of the commercials were entertaining and creative (whether they were pre-recorded by the advertiser's agency's creative team or live reads by live talent with actual talent), and they were presented in short bursts, sandwiched in between songs/jingles/news/other elements. Two minutes at a time. This was true even with talk and all-news stations. There were no 8-in-a-row spot clusters, and many of the spots had a listener humming (or even singing) along, or laughing at the comedy squeezed into a :60. Nobody would have taken a Kars-4-Kids ad back in those days. None of that seems to exist anymore.

they were presented in short bursts, sandwiched in between songs/jingles/news/other elements. Two minutes at a time. This was true even with talk and all-news stations.

If you listen to all-news stations, they're still done in short bursts. What you're talking about was before PPM. Once PPM became the norm in large markets, it was determined that more breaks meant more opportunities to tune out, regardless of break length.

There were loud, obnoxious, annoying commercials 50 years ago. Just listen to airchecks from the time.

You know, the model worked for Howard Stern when he moved to Sirius/XM. I pay for a couple of streaming video services, but don't think I would pay for streaming "radio" service with or without spots.

With all due respect, the spot loads back in the 60's and 70's were about as high as they are now, but there were two huge differences: many of the commercials were entertaining and creative (whether they were pre-recorded by the advertiser's agency's creative team or live reads by live talent with actual talent), and they were presented in short bursts, sandwiched in between songs/jingles/news/other elements.
I agree. But those practices were developed in the 50's when we had The Pulse and Hooper doing recall or coincidental based ratings surveys. As stations learned to play the Arbitron game, we got fewer stopsets positioned to get quarter hour credits, and nobody has the courage to try anything different now.
Nobody would have taken a Kars-4-Kids ad back in those days. None of that seems to exist anymore.
Unfortunately, if you take one charity you have to take them all. Unless the creative is offensive by FCC and "community standards" a station exposes itself to liability if it refuses to run a particular spot because it is not fun to listen to.

If you listen to all-news stations, they're still done in short bursts. What you're talking about was before PPM. Once PPM became the norm in large markets, it was determined that more breaks meant more opportunities to tune out, regardless of break length.
The PPM allowed analysis of what was really happening, right down to the minute. In the diary, people usually rounded to the half hour and quarter hour... even to the full hour. PPM showed stopset attrition, and demonstrated that TSL was much shorter.

A station that had 11 to 12 hour TSL in the diary that I was familiar with (KLVE) went to between 3 and 4 hours of average TSL in the PPM. So we became obsessed with the quarter hour transition points. Instead of burying the stops in the middle of each quarter hour, we put them at two transition points... double the length but only half as often.

And everyone is afraid of trying anything else.
There were loud, obnoxious, annoying commercials 50 years ago. Just listen to airchecks from the time.
The ones for drag races, stock car events and the like were among the worst. And all ended with "... bring your camera!"

Unfortunately, if you take one charity you have to take them all. Unless the creative is offensive by FCC and "community standards" a station exposes itself to liability if it refuses to run a particular spot because it is not fun to listen to.

I always thought that (with the exception of political ads) stations had the right to accept or reject ads for any reason. If I am running a religious station I could turn down ads for bars and liquor stores or strip joints and and X-rated films.

I remember a station I worked for turning down ads for the movie "Snuff" as well as "Fritz the Cat." Both were X-rated and managment felt they didn't meet community standards.

Schulke stations frequently turned down spots that they felt were overly loud and were not in keeping with the format.

I alwasy thought that (with the exception of political ads) stations had the right to accept or reject ads for any reason. If I am running a religious station I could turn down ads for bars and liquor stores or strip joints and and X-rated films.
If you don't take an ad for a brand of Tequila, you can't take one for rum.

You can limit a certain product category, but limiting certain ones within a category is dangerous.

But to refuse some ads based on the quality or style of the creative lays you wide open for a discriminatory practice suit.

"Back in the day" the better Beautiful Music stations (not an oxymoron) had limits on how hard-sell and loud in tone an ad could be, but they applied it broadly and uniformly. Some classical music stations would not take jingles of any kind, again a uniform practice.

But only rejecting one client because of personal feelings about the creative is definitely looking for trouble.

Many of the customers who are big spenders on radio now could not have afforded major radio schedules 50 years ago. Kars4Kids probably falls in that bucket.

I probably would pay $4 a month for a station I really enjoyed - but only if I also dropped my Spotify subscription.

From the KPIG website:

For less than a Grande Double Latte at your favorite coffee shop you are now able to get KPIG streamed to your computer commercial free for a month. Yes, for under 17 cents a day your subscription to the PIG stream will allow us to offer you nothing but PIG music 24 hours a day 7 days a week... no commercials, no filler instrumentals, just PIG music commercial free just like you've requested. Sign up now for 6 months and get one month free! TRY IT FREE FOR A WEEK! Thanks for your input PIGS we hope you enjoy!

They've been doing it for years.

Dave B.

many of the spots had a listener humming (or even singing) along
So true. To this day, 50 *years* later, I can still sing the jingle for Gensler-Lee Diamonds. Heard their ads a zillion times on KFRC/San Francisco. So well produced and catchy, the spots sounded better than some of the actual songs played.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom