• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will network daytime game show ever make a full comeback?

And Peter Marshall will be turning 90 next month. I guess game show hosting is like the Fountain of Youth. Who knew?

Marshall doesn't look his age in person either (yep, another PPB member). You might be right about that, Llew.

The Defenders was a bit before my time, or at least not what my folks would let me watch.

My World...And Welcome to it was too highbrow for a mainstream audience, and at one year and 26 episodes, had too short a tenure for syndication. Were it not for William Windom, I doubt it would have survived 13 weeks. Airing opposite CBS's Gunsmoke didn't help matters any.

Actually, "My World..." would probably have been renewed for at least one more season, had it not been for Red Skelton! CBS had unexpectedly canceled the veteran comedian's long-running series, and NBC moved quickly to sign him up (much as they had done with Jack Benny a few years earlier.) NBC could offer Skelton only a half-hour series, unlike the hour he'd had on CBS, and they canceled "My World..." pretty much to make room for him. Unfortunately, Skelton's NBC series was far below the quality of his CBS shows, and was dropped after one season. (The NBC shows were the basis of a Skelton video package offered a few years ago, they are practically unwatchable.)

http://www.tv.com/shows/my-world-and-welcome-to-it/

Actually, "My World..." would probably have been renewed for at least one more season, had it not been for Red Skelton! CBS had unexpectedly canceled the veteran comedian's long-running series, and NBC moved quickly to sign him up (much as they had done with Jack Benny a few years earlier.) NBC could offer Skelton only a half-hour series, unlike the hour he'd had on CBS, and they canceled "My World..." pretty much to make room for him. Unfortunately, Skelton's NBC series was far below the quality of his CBS shows, and was dropped after one season. (The NBC shows were the basis of a Skelton video package offered a few years ago, they are practically unwatchable.)

http://www.tv.com/shows/my-world-and-welcome-to-it/

I only have one memory of "My World and Welcome to It" being rerun. The series aired briefly on the national WGN feed in January 1990. This was the first month of the FCC's Syndex law, and then-satellite uplinker United Video had to cover up shows out of WGN-TV in Chicago that were subject to blackouts. I remember "My World" airing at 10 p.m. weeknights. In February, the schedule was changed, and "My World" was removed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom