• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wild 95 Morning Show

T

tunchwoman

Curious as to how Wild 95 has escaped the apparent Clear Channel mandate to voicetrack morning drive. Elvis Duran or MJ would fit nicely in the market and I'm guessing would save the station money. Of course they replay in the afternoon so they save money there. The morning show pulls in numbers but so would the others and would be a lot cheaper. Interesting.

Speaking as a former employee of the West Palm cluster. It's because Dave Denver (the regional PD) likes them. That's it.

That being said, Kevin is very talented, and I wish he was allowed to do a morning show without restrictions. He is the brains and the workhorse of that morning show. Period.

Given that they have kept the show around, I am surprised that it hasn't been syndicated on other, smaller-market Clear Channel CHR stations. While Kevin and Virginia are clearly local, the show's content is usually not South Florida-driven.

They already have Elvis Duran syndicated from NYC on Y. I believe that Y was Elvis' first syndicated station. Now he is all over the place, including on the new Z100 (a Movin' format) in Fort Myers.

Local morning shows will soon be dinosaurs. They do put on a decent show although the buffoon bumpkin that they added as a third voice makes it sound like a smaller market show. At some point, even with decent numbers, I think there days are numbered. Clear Channel is all bout cost.

Opportunity is still lurking...... and the economy, be it dismal could be the incubator for a brand new generation of radio ALL locally based.....One of these days a BIG stick will be purchased at a realistic price from one of the CLUSTER owning corporations, ( now almost bankrupt) by a "true radio in my blood" group..and they WILL staff and format a local station that will blow the socks off all the "out of town" syndicated elevator, vanilla,non specific, inane shows that claim to be THEE gift to radio. (and that can be in any day part be it terrestrial or satellite). JUST by using GOOD local talent that live and speak to the locale from which they broadcast. Lets face it Howard can't, John Tesh can't, Elvis Duran can't... I could go on........and none of them really have anything of value to say that effects the local population.Just plain hype for the most part , be it raw and controversial, or rude and racous.. When that finally happens, and the ratings reflect it... the "out of touch/out of towners" may finally go away. There my rant is over! Discuss

Dave Dark said:
Opportunity is still lurking...... and the economy, be it dismal could be the incubator for a brand new generation of radio ALL locally based.....One of these days a BIG stick will be purchased at a realistic price from one of the CLUSTER owning corporations, ( now almost bankrupt) by a "true radio in my blood" group..and they WILL staff and format a local station that will blow the socks off all the "out of town" syndicated elevator, vanilla,non specific, inane shows that claim to be THEE gift to radio. (and that can be in any day part be it terrestrial or satellite). JUST by using GOOD local talent that live and speak to the locale from which they broadcast. Lets face it Howard can't, John Tesh can't, Elvis Duran can't... I could go on........and none of them really have anything of value to say that effects the local population.Just plain hype for the most part , be it raw and controversial, or rude and racous.. When that finally happens, and the ratings reflect it... the "out of touch/out of towners" may finally go away. There my rant is over! Discuss

Dave,

The younger demo doesn't care about LOCAL. They don't turn in to radio in the morning on CHR's to hear about the local HS or Mayor or Wal MArt. It is a much more global world. The internet and smart phones have made it that way. Good syndicated shows are doing well all over the country. In fact, of the names you mentioned, Howard was always number one in many of his markets, and Elvis Duran is #1 in his demos on Y100 for a number of years now. Much better than the LOCAL show he replaced. Howard and Elvis don't do NY shows even though that is where they are broadcast from. People just want to be entertained more than informed. They can get info anywhere.

I totally agree that there are now 100 ways from Sunday to get local news and information. My point about being local is having the ability to "mirror" the culture that makes up a stations listening area as well as being "visible" in the community. The syndicated shows can't and don't even want to do that. If and maybe when the "cluster corps" that overpaid when they gobbled up stations and are forced to finally sell off and sell at a price that makes market sense, then the cost of financing a station may become realistic enough to be able to operate and afford good professional local talent that can then compete with the vanilla syndication. Case in point is WCBSFM... it's local and ITS NEW YORK. In the present I have to agree that syndication is definately a way to keep a station profitable, but it sure doesn't define a station or a stations COL at all and that definiton is what has disappeared from radio and thats just sad but it is reality.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom