• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHY does this market even have a messageboard?

cm454

Inactive
Inactive User
Much more legit markets don't have their own board, but this one does? If you don't believe how ridiculous this is, look at how often it is used. Meanwhile, look at all the top 50 markets that are sharing boards with other big markets--or are listed generally under a state!

DON'T be fooled by the fact that Arbitron decided to make PR a top 20 market. THAT was done for $$$ reasons, not because PR is an actual player in the national radio scene.

Be serious.

cm454 said:
Much more legit markets don't have their own board, but this one does? If you don't believe how ridiculous this is, look at how often it is used. Meanwhile, look at all the top 50 markets that are sharing boards with other big markets--or are listed generally under a state!

DON'T be fooled by the fact that Arbitron decided to make PR a top 20 market. THAT was done for $$$ reasons, not because PR is an actual player in the national radio scene.

Be serious.

Puerto Rico is market 13 in the national rank. Markets are ranked based on 12+ population, not for "$$$ reasons" as you state.

The over-3-million population of Puerto Rico makes the market just as "important" as san Diego or Phoenix, markets of comparable size.

The fact that there is less posting has more to due with the fact that all but one of the stations in the market is in Spanish than anything else. But it is "Puerto Rico, USA" all the same and it is a top 20 market.

DavidEduardo said:
cm454 said:

Be serious.

Puerto Rico is market 13 in the national rank. Markets are ranked based on 12+ population, not for "$$$ reasons" as you state.

The over-3-million population of Puerto Rico makes the market just as "important" as san Diego or Phoenix, markets of comparable size.

The fact that there is less posting has more to due with the fact that all but one of the stations in the market is in Spanish than anything else. But it is "Puerto Rico, USA" all the same and it is a top 20 market.

So, there's a WHOLE messageboard for ONE STATION!

That's even MORE ridiculous.

And if Arbitron didn't do it for $$$, then why did it take them their ENTIRE existence, up until a few years ago, to even acknowledge PR as a U.S. radio market at all?

cm454 said:

One station? There are 127 stations home to the PR MSA.

If it were true. In most books, PR has the distinction of having more stations "in the book" than any other measured market in the US:

And if Arbitron didn't do it for $$$, then why did it take them their ENTIRE existence, up until a few years ago, to even acknowledge PR as a U.S. radio market at all?

Arbitron has been in PR since 1999, or 9 years.

PR has been part of the US since 1898. Arbitron did not go in until they saw signs that the local ratings company was faltering and that they could make money in the market. While this is unusual in such a large market, Arbitron is in no market where they can't make money... if things change, they drop the market. So there is nothing different from the criteria used in every market.

Arbitron is in every market for the money, but there is nothing unusual or strange about calling a rated US market with over 3 million people for what it is... #13.

cm454 said:
DavidEduardo said:
cm454 said:

Be serious.

Why not ask an appropriate person your question?

http://www.radio-info.com/contact_us.php

Honestly, the person who operates this board could make a page for anything they want.

Re: US Market #13

Michael said:
Why not ask an appropriate person your question?

http://www.radio-info.com/contact_us.php

Honestly, the person who operates this board could make a page for anything they want.

The answer is pretty simple... the heading says Top 20 Markets... and Puerto Rico is US market 13, so there it is.

exactly David.....

and once again you have to display your knowledge of the business and state simple facts over and over. He probably doesn't even know that Puerto Rican people are US Citizens.

Let me get this straight. Arbitron makes money from their services? And I thought they did the ratings from the goodness of their hearts or their never-ending thirst for knowledge. ;D

Regardless of market size, Arbitron, or any other factors guys - it's all radio! We're in this together. It's a brother/sisterhood. If we all provide compelling content for people to listen to, they come back for more (driving up cume). That's what we want - right? Or would we rather people keep listening to their ipods, CD players, and watching TV? Don't get so bent out of shape about it all or I'll come to your house and shave your cat. And if you don't own a cat - I'll buy you one and then shave it. Peace. ;D

Moore_in_the_morning said:
Regardless of market size, Arbitron, or any other factors guys - it's all radio! We're in this together. It's a brother/sisterhood. If we all provide compelling content for people to listen to, they come back for more (driving up cume). That's what we want - right? Or would we rather people keep listening to their ipods, CD players, and watching TV? Don't get so bent out of shape about it all or I'll come to your house and shave your cat. And if you don't own a cat - I'll buy you one and then shave it. Peace. ;D

Wow!! I don't know you but man do we have the same identical perception of this business! I mean I guess if we didn't we wouldn't be stupid enough to do it everyday! Kudos to you "Moore." I'm a huge believer that "if you give them want they want, they will come...BACK FOR MORE!!" Here's to "Live and Local Radio" now and always whether it be here on the mainland, Puerto Rico or anywhere!!

Man do I feel empowered now! ;D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom