• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who's your favorite radio sales trainer/consultant?

Radiogadfly

Inactive
Inactive User
It's been pretty slow here lately, so here's a topic: who are the best radio sales gurus around today? My personal favorite is Jim "Taz" Taszerack (sp?). He has great ideas, doesn't try to make every topic about him and isn't afraid to speak what is heresy to many managers (especially on the topic of new business). I'm also a big Paul Weyland fan. Who are your favorites, or who rubs you the wrong way?

The best book you can read is "The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising"
by Michael Corbet. It's a step by step how to make radio advertising work!
Great read for new & old reps. If you learn how to make advertising really work, you'll have more clients and won't have to listen to sales trainers selling snake oil. Roy Williams is another great read too.

It's been pretty slow here lately, so here's a topic: who
> are the best radio sales gurus around today? My personal
> favorite is Jim "Taz" Taszerack (sp?). He has great ideas,
> doesn't try to make every topic about him and isn't afraid
> to speak what is heresy to many managers (especially on the
> topic of new business). I'm also a big Paul Weyland fan.
> Who are your favorites, or who rubs you the wrong way?
>

> It's been pretty slow here lately, so here's a topic: who
> are the best radio sales gurus around today? My personal
> favorite is Jim "Taz" Taszerack (sp?). He has great ideas,
> doesn't try to make every topic about him and isn't afraid
> to speak what is heresy to many managers (especially on the
> topic of new business). I'm also a big Paul Weyland fan.
> Who are your favorites, or who rubs you the wrong way?
>
I just wish one of these trainers/consultants would teach sales people how to write decent copy for spots.

I really am tired of having to edit copy because it's too long, or track down a sales person to get correct pronounciation, or worse, track down a sales person to get the address of the retail location because they didn't include it in their copy.

But the thing I'm REALLY tired of are the sales people that just write copy points and expect the air talent or production director to write the spot for them (fortunately we don't have that problem at my current gig but in the past..omg)<P ID="signature">______________
Free Lil Kim
April 29, 2005 5pm What a glorious day it was
</P>

> I really am tired of having to edit copy because it's too
> long, or track down a sales person to get correct
> pronounciation, or worse, track down a sales person to get
> the address of the retail location because they didn't
> include it in their copy.
>
> But the thing I'm REALLY tired of are the sales people that
> just write copy points and expect the air talent or
> production director to write the spot for them (fortunately
> we don't have that problem at my current gig but in the
> past..omg)
>
That's a management issue. Take it up with the boss. When he/she hires sales people, they should have an understanding what sales people do to earn their pay: sell it and dump the notes on the desk, or sales writes the commercial. It's not in the FCC rules who does what. They don't teach at Harvard how to run a radio station. I looked, but the Bible doesn't explain who has the task of writing copy.

Ask the boss. (You may not like his/her answer :) )

Goat Rodeo Cowboy

Paul Weyland is my favorite. Not only does he teach you how to sell radio and manage expectations, he also teaches copywriting!

Sean Luce offers you (free of charge) the most practical tools designed to use everyday with every client. He gives you the best chance to increase sales. Plus, he has a tremendous amount of respect for copy writers and ensures reps deliver proper copy information.He's my favorite

I still love Chris Lytle. He's just such the polar opposite of the "motivational speaker"-type that makes him more believable than some. Plus, his insight into the sales process I think is one of the best out there.

I've attended just one of those "motivational speaker" all-day events and that was plenty for me.The shilling of newsletters/videos/etc was a huge turnoff, but, hey, when you've got a captive audience, you make the most of it.While it was an interesting line-up of folks, the only thing I recall from it(and it was a number of years ago now...), was from Zig Ziglar."Money ain't everything...but it's damn close to oxygen!"

Brandeis Hall and Mark Levy from RAB are great instructors, IMHO. If you get a chance to attend their seminars, I would highly recommend them. Great ideas about creative, NTR, and selling techniques. Just wish they offered a week long seminar instead of a 2 1/2 day cram session. So much information, so many ideas, so little time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom