• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHLI Translator Up and Running

I no longer live on Long Island, but there have been reports of WHLI's long awaited 24-hour FM translator on the air on 104.7. No mention of it on air or the WHLI website, though.

Signal is not good in my car in Massapequa Park. It goes in and out with other stations on 104.7. It must be a very low power signal.

Not a huge surprise about Massapequa Park. The coverage map for W284DG, posted on radio-locator, shows the edge of the "local" signal cutting right through Massapequa, which puts Massapequa Park just into the "distant" signal area. Communities in the "local" signal area include Hempstead (city of license), Williston Park to the north, Valley Stream to the west, Long Beach to the south, and Massapequa to the east.

I hate to admit this, but I liked the station when I was in Nassau, I hate to admit it because all that music is old and that makes me the same. They need a better voice guy for the sweeps, that's the same guy that's on their spots, and he is great, however, it's all him all the time. They might have changed it by now though it was last week when I heard it for the first time.

I hate to admit this, but I liked the station when I was in Nassau, I hate to admit it because all that music is old and that makes me the same. They need a better voice guy for the sweeps, that's the same guy that's on their spots, and he is great, however, it's all him all the time. They might have changed it by now though it was last week when I heard it for the first time.
The audio quality is not so great either. On my receiver, i scan down to Q-104.3 and there is a noticeable increase in audio quality. Their audio appears compressed (almost like AM playing on FM).

Been a while since I pestered this site, me being in PA now and out of radio. But a look at the latest ratings show WHLI up to a 1.8, seemingly up from nowhere in three months. I doubt that the new FM had much to do with that, if at all.

And what's up with WALK -- riding high last April, shot down in May-June-July-August ths year. Long-time A/C rival WKJY is now tied for the top overall spot.
Slimmer pickens for the two classic rockers. WBAB down from #1 to #8 ; WAXQ also sliding.

The audio quality is not so great either. On my receiver, i scan down to Q-104.3 and there is a noticeable increase in audio quality. Their audio appears compressed (almost like AM playing on FM).
I'm in Florida and have been listening to WHLI via TuneIn and Alexa, and I notice the same thing: a very flat sound "almost like AM" -- I agree.

Reactions: djl
Update on that WHLI showing.

Yes, it's merely the 66+ numbers, but the February 2022 rankings now have WHLI up to a 3.4.

The trend goes 1.5, to 2.0, to 2.7, and now 3.4. That's the sequence from the Dec, Hol, Jan and Feb books. This time WHLI even grounded kid sister WKJY's 2.6 for the second straight month.

What's up with these WHLI numbers? Is the station's premise that good? Is the 104.7 translator disproportionately going nuts ?

Reactions: djl
The incredible ratings growth coincides with the appearance of the translator. WHLI is a daytimer, the FM signal is 24/7. People are listening to FM, and not AM. So I'm sure a lot of Long Islanders who only listen to FM are finally discovering WHLI.

The incredible ratings growth coincides with the appearance of the translator. WHLI is a daytimer, the FM signal is 24/7. People are listening to FM, and not AM. So I'm sure a lot of Long Islanders who only listen to FM are finally discovering WHLI.
They are also likely benefiting from the horrible Nielsen samples in the last 6 months and which are getting so bad they don't even try to get MRC accreditation. What happens is that younger people tend to turn over in the PPM faster than older groups.

So we end up with younger families and young adults dropping out of the panel, leaving more older "empty nesters" on the panel and higher weighting for the remaining younger groups. This benefits very old-leaning stations. It hurts CHR, Urban and the like and makes the ratings very unstable.

Also among the possible changes is that the panel may have ended up with more participants in the small area the translator covers, enhancing its returns.

Of course, one of the things that remains to be seen is whether non-agency accounts are plentiful enough in the area the station covers to produce income. Agencies won't, for the most part, even notice the increase in numbers because it's all in 55+ which they seldom even look at.

Is Long Island an embedded market for New York City, with the same problem of being overlooked by the agencies who prefer to buy in the next door big market like San Jose is to San Francisco, which BTW was a very interesting discussion over at the KRTY thread.

The signal needs to go a bit further east. It's a low power transmitter and has to protect WSPK Poughkeepsie and also cannot interfere with the 104.7 low power signal on WTC. If there was a way to make it directionally more powerful to the East, that would be great.

WHLI is mostly a Nassau County station, but it would be nice to see their signal move east for some in Suffolk County as well. The AM signal on 1100 seems to do a bit better further east, but both the AM and FM are nulled to the west. It's licensed to Brentwood, but maybe a move to the Islip area non directional would be possible. Only concern out that way is WELJ from Montauk whose 40 dbu signal makes it to Riverhead.

Is Long Island an embedded market for New York City, with the same problem of being overlooked by the agencies who prefer to buy in the next door big market like San Jose is to San Francisco, which BTW was a very interesting discussion over at the KRTY thread.
Yes, Nassau/Suffolk is an embedded market. It's part of the NYC book, but also published separately for the local stations on Long Island.

Actually, both WHLI and W284DG are licensed to Hempstead.

It doesnt really matter where the translator is licensed to, in theory.. because translators have no city of license coverage requirements. W284DG could be licensed to Bridgeport, CT and be on the WHLI tower

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom