• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHK maintenance

Maybe the work is related to the proposed diplexing of AM 1000 on the WHK towers.
Or repairing or replacing the original 1940 style tower switching assembly they were still using as late as 1997.
It is a massive brass and copper machine with huge motors and relays that was a treat to watch crash and clang into place when the station went directional. But it was worn out back then and very hard to keep working.

And Hillary thinks the 2016 election was stolen. There was nothing in Prager's statement claiming the election was stolen. By the way, you omitted the rest of his statement: "I only have arguments for the fact there was massive cheating. I don't know who won the election. Ok? To be honest, I don't know. But, I can't say it was honestly won and I can't say for certain it was dishonestly won."
It is perfectly fine to question the results of the election, but when additonal recounts are finished and all examinations are exhausted, that's it. I will add that Hillary and Gore conceded once recounts and examinations were complete. You-know-who never conceded.

Depends on market size, station or cluster size. In a major market with a significant station, it can be an annual 6-figure amount.
So 6 figures per station? Or cluster? I can't imagine some company with 5-8 stations in one market forking over anywhere from $5-800,000 a year or, high 6 figures, 2.5 mil-4 million a year or more. No wonder ishart runs a gazillion commercials an hour [well, it seems like a gazillion.]

I've heard Dennis Prager mention many times that... in his own words ... that he is "agnostic on whether there was cheating in the 2020 election, or not". He admits he doesn't know. IMHO, he is the best radio talk show host.

So 6 figures per station? Or cluster? I can't imagine some company with 5-8 stations in one market forking over anywhere from $5-800,000 a year or, high 6 figures, 2.5 mil-4 million a year or more. No wonder ishart runs a gazillion commercials an hour [well, it seems like a gazillion.]
With rare exceptions, clusters subscribe for all stations together. And the cost varies based on the "kind of station" whereby a daytime AM at 1570 will not pay what a full B or C FM on the commercial band pays.

Most groups have contracts covering the whole group so it is hard to even know what they pay by market. Obviously, the ones I am familiar with can't be revealed.

I can see how, for some stations, the ROI may not be worth the high cost of obtaining the ratings. If the station has a strong/large advertiser base from which to draw on and can use that to influence others to advertise, not having the cost of buying the rating service might be ok.

I can see how, for some stations, the ROI may not be worth the high cost of obtaining the ratings. If the station has a strong/large advertiser base from which to draw on and can use that to influence others to advertise, not having the cost of buying the rating service might be ok.
The bulk of accounts in a larger market will come from national, regional and local agencies. They buy by the numbers from ratings. Relationship selling is a big factor in local direct, but few "local" accounts like that are found in bigger markets.

What we are talking about is the fact that brand advertising (packaged goods, branded goods, chain stores and chain restaurants) will have an agency. What is left are one or two location retailers and the range of services like lawyers, plastic surgeons, garage door installers and the like. They measure based on results, generally number of calls for those that are service providers.

A significant station does not have an "advertiser base". Accounts have to be kept by factors like results, service and continued good ratings.

The bulk of accounts in a larger market will come from national, regional and local agencies. They buy by the numbers from ratings. Relationship selling is a big factor in local direct, but few "local" accounts like that are found in bigger markets.

What we are talking about is the fact that brand advertising (packaged goods, branded goods, chain stores and chain restaurants) will have an agency. What is left are one or two location retailers and the range of services like lawyers, plastic surgeons, garage door installers and the like. They measure based on results, generally number of calls for those that are service providers.

A significant station does not have an "advertiser base". Accounts have to be kept by factors like results, service and continued good ratings.
Thank you for this information, you did share relevant thoughts I hadn't had. The station I was thinking of has, mostly, local area advertisers. What might be the ROI if a station invests in (buys) the ratings service, but their ratings are, consistently, not very good?

Thank you for this information, you did share relevant thoughts I hadn't had. The station I was thinking of has, mostly, local area advertisers. What might be the ROI if a station invests in (buys) the ratings service, but their ratings are, consistently, not very good?
Every market has a top tier of stations that will get agency and big local account buys based on numbers. If you are in Tucson or Bryan-College Station, those are only the top 5 or 6 stations (give or take). If you are in LA or Chicago, that may be as deep as 20 to 22 stations that have some strength that gets them on buys.

Below that, we have stations that compete with the big ones but have signal or budget issues and have to appeal to the best local direct accounts at lower rates.

Then you have most AMs, and many signal-challenged FMs that look for niche markets, whether they be religious or ethnic or paid programming.

Even the very marginal stations can be profitable if run in a frugal fashion. Low ratings don't necessarily mean that a station is a loser. In the case of Los Angeles, there are stations in Farsi, Chinese, Vietnamese and other languages that do very well with no ratings but with a very loyal audience in their niche.

The station I'm thinking of used to have a certain car dealership as, at least, a fairly regular advertiser. That was until they farmed out their media buys to a service or agency. Then, their buying of time ceased.

Back
Top Bottom