• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Which Bay Area radio stations would both CBS and Entercom agree to sell

Now that EMF is taking over 100.3FM Los Angeles from Entercom. Who would Entercom Remove in San Francisco and Sacramento these are two major markets where Entercom has been specifically named for being over the ownership limit.

Now that EMF is taking over 100.3FM Los Angeles from Entercom. Who would Entercom Remove in San Francisco and Sacramento these are two major markets where Entercom has been specifically named for being over the ownership limit.

I was wondering if we would breath new life into this thread. Isn't the logical choice KGMZ?

KGMZ may get poor ratings, but I understand it bills pretty well. Plus, Entercom uses it for its play-by-play rights. I doubt it’s going anywhere.

I'd have to guess KUFX 98.5, KITS 105.3 and KFRC 106.9 will be divested. Not sure about what else would go. I also doubt EMF is buying anything more from Entercom. Not that it couldn’t happen, but you would’ve expected to see any other EMF purchases on Tuesday's press release. San Francisco shouldn’t have any revenue issues. So, the DOJ shouldn’t have had any problems with Entercom divesting a property or two to EMF.

Sacramento will be another issue entirely. As I've mentioned in another thread or two, when operators divest to non-competitors, their shares of the revenue tend to go up due to the removal of a competitor in the advertising market. Anybody anywhere near 40% of the total market revenue isn’t likely to be allowed to divest to somebody who won’t participate in the commercial market. While I suppose a Trump DOJ might have a different philosophy, past DOJ's have indicated there isn't really a Democratic or Republican way of looking at that.

KGMZ may get poor ratings, but I understand it bills pretty well. Plus, Entercom uses it for its play-by-play rights. I doubt it’s going anywhere.

I'd have to guess KUFX 98.5, KITS 105.3 and KFRC 106.9 will be divested.

You really think KCBS is going to blow up its simulcast?

I'd have to guess KUFX 98.5, KITS 105.3 and KFRC 106.9 will be divested. Not sure about what else would go. I also doubt EMF is buying anything more from Entercom. Not that it couldn’t happen, but you would’ve expected to see any other EMF purchases on Tuesday's press release. San Francisco shouldn’t have any revenue issues. So, the DOJ shouldn’t have had any problems with Entercom divesting a property or two to EMF.

Sacramento will be another issue entirely. As I've mentioned in another thread or two, when operators divest to non-competitors, their shares of the revenue tend to go up due to the removal of a competitor in the advertising market. Anybody anywhere near 40% of the total market revenue isn’t likely to be allowed to divest to somebody who won’t participate in the commercial market. While I suppose a Trump DOJ might have a different philosophy, past DOJ's have indicated there isn't really a Democratic or Republican way of looking at that.

I still hope that Entercom will have an opportunity in San Francisco to pick up KRBE in Houston from Cumulus. I consider EMF to be a last resort for Entercom's divestitures like when they picked up the San Diego and Wilkes-Barre stations, considering that there weren't many good buyers for those stations.

You really think KCBS is going to blow up its simulcast?

Seems more logical than getting rid of another profitable property, though it is one of the better signals in both clusters. Maybe things have changed in San Francisco since the simulcast began, but being on AM didn’t used to be the liability there that it was most other places. FM tended to have more signal issues than AM due to terrain, and AM still billed well.

Seems more logical than getting rid of another profitable property, though it is one of the better signals in both clusters. Maybe things have changed in San Francisco since the simulcast began, but being on AM didn’t used to be the liability there that it was most other places. FM tended to have more signal issues than AM due to terrain, and AM still billed well.

That changed about 35 years ago, with KGO, KCBS and KNBR being the exception in billing.

My understanding is that more than half of KCBS' audience listens on FM, and it's been on 106.9 for nine years now. A frequency change would be risky. Ending the simulcast would be suicide.

That changed about 35 years ago, with KGO, KCBS and KNBR being the exception in billing.

My understanding is that more than half of KCBS' audience listens on FM, and it's been on 106.9 for nine years now. A frequency change would be risky. Ending the simulcast would be suicide.

Totally agree. I would be absolutely shocked if they divested KFRC.

There are several market-specific issues here.

First is the general decline in "circulation" on the AM band. With the decline and destruction of KGO by Citadel, the general erosion in KSDO, and even the slacking of moderately good signals like 910, 1310 and 960, the only strong station that is alone on AM is KNBR.

Then there is the migration of talk and news to FM, started by the usual market leader KQED, which has reduced the need to go to AM. Add in the presence of KCBS on FM, and there is a further reduction in the usefulness of switching to AM.

Beyond that, the generation that is the most valuable listener for sales purposes grew up on FM, so their "instinct" is to ignore the band.

...the general erosion in KSDO

Assuming, of course your meant KSFO. KSDO was a former San Diego newstalker, which no longer broadcasts in English so is not pertinent to this thread.

Looks like the divestitures in the San Francisco market have been officially announced. These stations are 99.7 Now, 98.5 K-Fox, 102.9 KBLX, and 96.5 KOIT.

Good stations choices. Can't wait to see who'll pay top dollar for these outlets, plus they pull in good ratings too.

Last edited:
Good stations choices. Can't wait to see who'll pay top dollar for these outlets, plus they pull in good ratings too.

I can expect most of those stations going to a commercial operator, because unlike Entercom's divestitures in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Wilkes-Barre, Entercom will most likely divest multiple stations in their remaining overlapping markets.

Most of the divestiture list wasn’t particularly surprising. I was a little surprised KZOK in Seattle was on the list, though it seemed unlikely Entercom would be able to keep both KZOK and KMPS.

The list in San Francisco, however, was pretty surprising to me. I was VERY surprised to see KOIT on the list and almost as surprised to see KITS wasn’t on it. I have to wonder if the DOJ wasn’t looking a little more closely at the English-language revenue shares like it was in Denver a few years ago.

This will also mark the return of KITS to Entercom after about 20 years away. Entercom swapped it to CBS for KLOU in St. Louis, which it then swapped to American Radio Systems for WDAF 610 and KUDL 98.1 in KC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom