• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Where's Willie?

"Willie" back on since (at least) late Saturday 8/26/2023.
I know XHPRS doesn't directly offer their own stream, but does anyone know of a URL that captures and streams online the live on-air signal?

I am pretty sure in the US, that is not legal.

IDK about Mexican laws.

pretty sure thats what the internet connected software defined recievers that web surfers can control are for

pretty sure thats what the internet connected software defined recievers that web surfers can control are for
And there are any number of discussions on the legality of those, particularly in the area of responsibility for music licensing fees.

And there are any number of discussions on the legality of those, particularly in the area of responsibility for music licensing fees.
theyve been around for over a decade, i dont use them much, but do sometimes when i need 2 check on a signal

For those outside the listening area wondering what Willy is about. I jotted down the 8 songs played beginning at 7:20pm PT last night:

White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Cream - White Room
Scandal - Beat of a Heart
Poison - Nothin' but a good time
Don Henley - Dirty Laundry
Eddie Money - Think I'm in love
Gilbert O' Sullivan - Alone again (Naturally)
Vanguard - Mantis

It's definitely Classic Rock. Who knows if they are taking away any of KGB's audience, since they don't subscribe.

For those outside the listening area wondering what Willy is about. I jotted down the 8 songs played beginning at 7:20pm PT last night:

White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Cream - White Room
Scandal - Beat of a Heart
Poison - Nothin' but a good time
Don Henley - Dirty Laundry
Eddie Money - Think I'm in love
Gilbert O' Sullivan - Alone again (Naturally)
Vanguard - Mantis

It's definitely Classic Rock. Who knows if they are taking away any of KGB's audience, since they don't subscribe.
Why is Alone Again (Naturally) in there?

Why is Alone Again (Naturally) in there?
They may be programming, even on a fill basis, for a Mexican audience. In many, many cases there were U.S. hits that were not as big in Latin America and others that were not so big in the US that were huge there.

My best, but old, example is that CCR was much bigger for me at my top 40 stations in Eucador than the Beatles were. And the Stones were bigger than the Beatles, too.

Which begs the question why do some begin with XE, and mostly newer stations start with XH? With less radio stations in Mexico, it can't be from running out of letter combinations.
Virtually all AM stations are XE. Most FM and TV stations are usually XH. Early AM/FM combos are XE as are early TV stations such as XETV ch 6 and XEWT ch 12 in San Diego/Tijuana. I believe the prefix "XO" is available but I don't think it was ever used. At one time back in the 70s there were two pop music FM stations in the SD/TJ market with the calls XHIS and XHERS (His Radio and Hers Radio) I read an article in the trades where the company programming these stations apparently was planning an additional station called "Ours" with the call sign XOURS but nothing ever came of it. Perhaps DavidE has more info.

At one time back in the 70s there were two pop music FM stations in the SD/TJ market with the calls XHIS and XHERS (His Radio and Hers Radio) I read an article in the trades where the company programming these stations apparently was planning an additional station called "Ours" with the call sign XOURS but nothing ever came of it. Perhaps DavidE has more info.
Run by Paul Schaefer, an early creator of radio Automation systems.

Which begs the question why do some begin with XE, and mostly newer stations start with XH? With less radio stations in Mexico, it can't be from running out of letter combinations.
Mexico gives up to 6 and 7 letter calls... XHQRST and the like are common.

With 4-letter calls, there are only about 600 possibilities, eliminating ones that are "dirty" or are initials for government agencies. There are over 1000 FMs in Mexico now.

As mentioned, once FM stopped being used just for STLs, the government used XH as the prefix for FM and kept XE for existing FMs and all AMs.

Mexico gives up to 6 and 7 letter calls... XHQRST and the like are common.

With 4-letter calls, there are only about 600 possibilities, eliminating ones that are "dirty" or are initials for government agencies. There are over 1000 FMs in Mexico now.

As mentioned, once FM stopped being used just for STLs, the government used XH as the prefix for FM and kept XE for existing FMs and all AMs.
One more question, can a station operator choose to have up to 7 letters for their calls if they want it to spell a certain word,, or is it dependent on whether available 3, 4, etc. letter combinations have run out

One more question, can a station operator choose to have up to 7 letters for their calls if they want it to spell a certain word,, or is it dependent on whether available 3, 4, etc. letter combinations have run out
Stations have requested specific calls, going back 60 or 70 years to "XEDF" for "Distrito Federal" and XERPM for "Radio Programas de MĂ©xico" or XESM for JesĂşs San MartĂ­n, the owner.

Like that those are many examples. The best known may be Gordon McLendon's leased Tijuana station, XETRA, "Extra News over Los Angeles". And Paul Schaefer's XHERS and XHIS in Tijuana also, male and female oriented music formats.

Back
Top Bottom