• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

where 2 get clock radio w/good tuner & separate sleep/alarm volume/tune control?

Hi all... ok it's time for me to get a new clock radio. (The old one still works, just not the way I use it.) I'd like to keep the price under $30-40, but could maybe go up to $50-60 or something like that to get a good unit.

I would like:
PLL synthesized tuning (AM & FM)
a good quality AM (& FM) tuner (with selectivity & sensitivity on AM equal to or better than the Sangean DT-400W pocket radio, and decent selectivity on FM - definitely better than the DT-400W if possible, but if other features I want can be had at FM selectivity's expense (I rarely listen to FM), that's ok)
extremely important: able to adjust tuned station & volume for the alarm independently of the sleep timer or normal radio listening. I have had one too many times where I set the alarm, then used the sleep timer at a comfortable volume, then slept completely through the (radio) alarm (which on the current unit I'm using sounds for 2 hours) the next morning. I want to be able to use the sleep timer at a moderately soft volume on one station, and have the alarm clock blasting on a completely different station the next morning. (While I would expect that most (probably all) alarm clock radios probably have a buzzer feature, their effect on me is similar to - well, you probably are familiar with the expression "getting up on the wrong side of the bed". :))
I don't need atomic clock function or iPod dock (although the ability to pick music from an SD card to wake up to would be a nice plus). I would expect that most clock radios probably have a battery backup capability. (This is one I don't expect to travel with, so I'll be willing to overlook a lack of ability to power the radio via battery.)

I would definitely want to buy it at a local B&M, for example Fry's who seems to have a fairly good selection, but would be willing to consider other B&Ms as well.

Any suggestions as to what I should consider? The most important things for me are ability to set volume & station for alarm, sleep timer & radio listening independently of each other, and having a good AM tuner (especially with good selectivity and resistance to overload/bleed/images/etc).

Re: where 2 get clock radio w/good tuner & separate sleep/alarm volume/tune control?

(I would have edited, but have passed the edit time....)

I really would like PLL synthesized tuning. However, if the sensitivity & selectivity of an analog unit is superior to a comparably priced & featured digital unit, and if I have to go with analog tuning to get one with which I can independently adjust the volume (and tuner if possible, although that's one reason I'm looking at digital tuning) for sleep timer vs alarm vs listening, that would be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom