• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When will Sirius Recievers get cheaper?

Thats probably one of the main things keeping me back on getting satilite radio is how expensive the recievers are. I like sirius's music better then XM's more verity in the dance sections, and everywere else. I just dont realy know if I can get service in my home because I dont have a clear view of the sky in my window, but, on my old XM radio I was able to get 3 bars of sat. power and 1 bar of repeater power and all I had was it pointed to the south facing the wall.
<P ID="signature">______________
jras20</P>

> Thats probably one of the main things keeping me back on
> getting satilite radio is how expensive the recievers are.
> I like sirius's music better then XM's more verity in the
> dance sections, and everywere else. I just dont realy know
> if I can get service in my home because I dont have a clear
> view of the sky in my window, but, on my old XM radio I was
> able to get 3 bars of sat. power and 1 bar of repeater power
> and all I had was it pointed to the south facing the wall.
>
The receivers are going down in price as we speak. More than likely within the next six months to a year you'll find the smaller portable players going for under $99 while the more "feature-enhanced" units will cost less as well. I also agree with the whole receiving situation with sirius. I have a feeling they'll launch another bird in the not too distant future,seeing they're going to hawaii in sept. with the AVP tour. Looks to me they're ramping up to expand coverage continentally and also roll out service in HI and AK

Well, I'd actually make the case that, when it comes to quality, the receivers are pretty cheap as is! Seriously, I have two XM radios and one Sirius radio. Of the three radios, I've had two out of box (within 30 days) failures; one was an XM receiver while the other was the Sirius receiver. However, I will give both companies high marks for customer service, and I'd actually say Sirius outrates XM on customer service.

As for the prices of the receivers, they are getting cheaper, and you just missed a chance to get a Sirius receiver for under $50 with a 6 month activation. If $50 is too much, what price would you be willing to pay? Here's a thought for you. Why not check out e-Bay as there are usually decent deals on Sirius satellite radios? Although you'll normally pay more than $50 in those auctions, you'll usually pay less than $100.

Re: Wal-Mart to faze out Sirius Radio from Shelves

>
I stop by Wally World tonight on the way home from work and talk to the clerk/electronics manager. He informed me that Wal-Mart got a great deal to be sell exclusivly the XM Satelite recievers/accessories and they will offer them at the cheapest rate around. The deal requires Wal-Mart to sell only the XM product by beginning of the Xmas season. This means Wal-mart will discount all the Sirius recievers and accessories at near 20% above cost to clearance their stock. The sale could begin as soon as Aug 1st. Wal-Mart will start sending 1000 recievers to every store nationwide. I was told the Starmate car package which sells for $76 will be on clearance for $43.98. I'll be stopping by Wal-Mart everyday and be buying mine when they hit the clearance rack!

> I was told
> the Starmate car package which sells for $76 will be on
> clearance for $43.98. I'll be stopping by Wal-Mart everyday
> and be buying mine when they hit the clearance rack!
>

They're selling the Roady2 for $44 and change, and the Starmate is right now somewhere between that and $70, at least in the last Wal-Mart I looked in.

Whether or not XM has an exclusive coming or not I really don't know, but it looks like they're trying to move the Starmate into a position to compete with the Roady on price.

...co-moderator of the Satellite Radio, Phoenix, and San Diego boards...</P>

And here I thought XM had seen the error of its ways in spending big bucks for exclusive deals. They need to quit fighting this pointless and expensive battle and jointly develop radios that get both XM and Sirius... or did Mel kill that idea?

Jerry

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan</P>

Wow, hats news to me. I'm a Wal-Mart employee myself and haven't heard anything of the sorts. Not saying you are wrong or lying at all... My store just did a reset within the past month (i bought my unit right when we did the reset) and added a ton of new Sirius equipment, boomboxes, etc...

> > Thats probably one of the main things keeping me back on
> > getting satilite radio is how expensive the recievers are.
>
> > I like sirius's music better then XM's more verity in the
> > dance sections, and everywere else. I just dont realy
> know
> > if I can get service in my home because I dont have a
> clear
> > view of the sky in my window, but, on my old XM radio I
> was
> > able to get 3 bars of sat. power and 1 bar of repeater
> power
> > and all I had was it pointed to the south facing the wall.
>
> >
> I stop by Wally World tonight on the way home from work and
> talk to the clerk/electronics manager. He informed me that
> Wal-Mart got a great deal to be sell exclusivly the XM
> Satelite recievers/accessories and they will offer them at
> the cheapest rate around. The deal requires Wal-Mart to sell
> only the XM product by beginning of the Xmas season. This
> means Wal-mart will discount all the Sirius recievers and
> accessories at near 20% above cost to clearance their stock.
> The sale could begin as soon as Aug 1st. Wal-Mart will start
> sending 1000 recievers to every store nationwide. I was told
> the Starmate car package which sells for $76 will be on
> clearance for $43.98. I'll be stopping by Wal-Mart everyday
> and be buying mine when they hit the clearance rack!
>

> And here I thought XM had seen the error of its ways in
> spending big bucks for exclusive deals. They need to quit
> fighting this pointless and expensive battle and jointly
> develop radios that get both XM and Sirius... or did Mel
> kill that idea?
>
XM and Sirius should give at least basic model radios away (or at least sell them dirt cheap). Maybe charge for high end receivers. The money is in subscriptions and they should subsidize the hardware like satellite TV does. They are missing a great opportunity to expand their listener base, which is ultimatly what their success or failure is tied to. And thumbs up to the idea of an XM/Sirius combo receiver. Thumbs down to activation fees.

The prices have come down slowly over time. I bought an XM Sony plug and play when XM was new and spent about $300. The thing was a piece of crap with a display that was virtually unreadable in any light. I just spent about $150 for a Sirius Sportster Replay and it is a fine piece of hardware. Love the replay features, since my ability to pay attention to TV or radio has been ruined by TIVO. Once you get used to being able to rewind at will, you forget that you can't do that in the car. Now you can.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by pifflestick on 07/18/05 08:29 PM.</FONT></P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom