• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wheel and Jeopardy in your market?

Who has had the rights to Wheel and/or Jeopardy in your market from 1983/84 to today? In my market (GSP/Asheville), they started on WYFF 4 and moved to WLOS 13 where they are today (occasionally they've also aired weekend or daytime runs on channel 40 "My40", WLOS' sister station).

In Charlotte Wheel was on WBTV from I think 1984 to 1990, WSOC from 1990-93 and WCNC from 1993-today. Jeopardy was also on WBTV from 84-90, WSOC for only the 90-1991 season and then to WCNC where it is today.

I just found out that WLTX 19 in Columbia, SC had the rights at least for the 1991-92 seasons. I was surprised for some odd reason! When did they leave WIS 10 (who had them all through the 80's) and later move to WOLO 25 (their current home, ABC Columbia)?

KNDO Yakima. Always KNDO. They had both from the start, Wheel of Fortune, then Jeopardy! There was one season where they moved Wheel to 6:30PM (instead of the usual 7PM) so Ray Combs' Feud could air in prime access. 1989-90, maybe?
In Seattle, KOMO did not clear syndicated Wheel until late into season 1 (if I recall), and Jeopardy! aired at 9AM on KIRO 7 weekday mornings through half of 1984-85. Hour Magazine was cleared in the second half of the season at 9am and Jeopardy! wasn't seen until September '85 (on KOMO 4 at 7:30). From 1985 onward, KOMO has kept them in prime access, starting with Wheel.

Knoxville TN: Both have been on WBIR as ;long as I've been here, since 2010. I couldn't tell you anything before that. WBIR runs "Daytime Jeopardy" (a rerun) at 11:30am.
I assume this probably hasn't changed, but in Dayton, OH, the two ran on separate stations. WHIO had run Entertainment Tonight at 7:30pm since its debut, thus Wheel of Fortune at 7, but Jeopardy on WDTN at 7:30.

When I worked at WLFI in Lafayette in the early 90s, we ran Wheel at 7, Jeopardy! at 7:30. Recording times were a week ahead.

In Memphis WMC NBC 5 has always had Wheel. They also had Jeopardy until they gave it up for Oprah, and Jeopardy moved to WREG CBS 3, but I can't remember what year that happened.

In Memphis WMC NBC 5 has always had Wheel. They also had Jeopardy until they gave it up for Oprah, and Jeopardy moved to WREG CBS 3, but I can't remember what year that happened.
I'd heard a rumor that in the 90s, King World (syndicators at the time) thought the strength of the Wheel/Jeopardy combo would cause Central and Mountain time affiliates to flip to an 8-11, rather than 7-10 prime time, delaying network programming accordingly. In a lot of Central/Mountain markets, the two have to be separated because of 6pm local news.

In Traverse City-Cadillac, Wheel and Jeopardy have been on WPBN/WTOM since the mid-90s and were on WGTU/WGTQ prior to that. Down in Grand Rapids, they have been on WWMT since the mid-90s and were on WZZM before that.

KCOP channel 13 was L.A.’s original home for Wheel of Fortune starting in 1985, while Jeopardy! premiered on KCBS channel 2 in 1984, before joining Wheel on KCOP in 1985. Both shows moved to channel 2 in 1989, before ending up on KABC channel 7 in 1992, where they remain to this day.

Minneapolis WCCO CBS 4 O&O had both in the 80s and 90s until they moved Jeopardy to overnights in 1996.
KARE NBC 11 got Jeopardy in 1999

Mankato KEYC 12 has Wheel. Until 2007 it was the only station in the market. They added Fox subchannel in 2007 but Jeopardy wasn’t added until a couple years later. In 2019 when Gray launched KMNF NBC 7 Jeopardy moved there.

In Des Moines Iowa:

Wheel of Fortune in syndication has only aired on two stations KCCI 8 (CBS) from 1983-1990 and WHO 13 (NBC) from 1990 to present.

Jeopordy has aired on three channels jumping all over the place through the years.

WOI 5 (ABC), KCCI 8 (CBS) and WHO 13 (NBC). It's aired on channel 13 now since the late 2000's I believe.

In the 80's and 90's it kept jumping from WOI and KCCI.

Any cases of station's dumping Jeopardy after Alex Trebek died?
Not that I know of but I do think I've seen that some stations have moved the "Daytime Jeopardy" reruns that have the new hosts in late nights after midnight while the newer episodes still air in the daytime hours. Only instance here in Des Moines is WHO airs Saturday reruns of Jeopordy at 5am but they use to air it at 5:30am when Alex Trebek was alive on Saturdays. Most likely because they air PowerHouse TV at 5pm on Saturdays.

WBBJ ABC 7 in Jackson, TN airs the new episodes at 11 AM, which I've heard is the earliest they're allowed to air them.

At one time Final Jeopardy of the day's game was posted on You Tube as early as 7 PM CT or 5 PM PT, which would have been before it was aired on some stations in the Pacific time zone, and for a while they were showing highlights of the day's game. but now they've changed to showing one category of answers each night at 7 PM CT and showing the Final Jeopardy category each night at 10 PM CT.

Wheel in Philly occupied 7:30 on WPVI since day 1. Somewhere there was a story KYW originally signed on for it in afternoons, but WPVI offered prime access, leading in part to KYW creating an afternoon game block with Wheel anyway, just the NBC version on delay, along with some others from the network and some from syndication.

KYW did snag the first year of Jeopardy, at 12:30 pm. Year two, it went to WPVI. At various points, “daytime Jeopardy” has popped up, but rarely.

In Charlotte Wheel was on WBTV from I think 1984 to 1990, WSOC from 1990-93 and WCNC from 1993-today. Jeopardy was also on WBTV from 84-90, WSOC for only the 90-1991 season and then to WCNC where it is today.
WBTV aired Jeopardy at 5 and Wheel at 5:30 until 1988 when they flipped the times…Wheel at 5 and Jeopardy at 5:30 only to lose the shows to WSOC two years later. Yes WSOC had Jeopardy for just that one year and I don’t even remember it being at 11:30am but I saw it on one of the old listings on here. I had always thought Jeopardy went straight from WBTV to WCNC. I do remember Wheel on WSOC. It would have been less confusing if both shows had just gone straight to WCNC in 1990 because Wheel displaced Entertainment Tonight at 7:30 for three years when it was on WSOC…ET moved to 11:30pm then to 7pm when ABC World News Tonight moved to 6:30pm. And 11:30am wasn’t a good time slot for Jeopardy.

WBTV replaced Wheel and Jeopardy with Inside Edition and A Current Affair. Inside Edition would move to 7:30 a few months later to make room for its 5:00 newscast. PM Magazine got discontinued.

WSOC ended up replacing Wheel with American Journal at 7 and moving ET back to 7:30 where it remains today. Inside Edition moved to WSOC to replace AJ at 7 in January 1995 and has remained ever since.

The last show to air at 7.30 before Wheel on WCNC was You Bet Your Life. I am not sure what the last show to air at 7 before Jeopardy.

Last edited:
I'd heard a rumor that in the 90s, King World (syndicators at the time) thought the strength of the Wheel/Jeopardy combo would cause Central and Mountain time affiliates to flip to an 8-11, rather than 7-10 prime time, delaying network programming accordingly. In a lot of Central/Mountain markets, the two have to be separated because of 6pm local news.
I don’t know if the networks could have afforded all those feeds for each time zone. And I’m sure those CT/MT viewers like their 10:00 news and the late night talk shows starting earlier.

But I could see it becoming a thing if the networks drop an hour of prime time in the future. Maybe CT/MT stations could have the option of 7-9 or 8-10.

I don’t know if the networks could have afforded all those feeds for each time zone. And I’m sure those CT/MT viewers like their 10:00 news and the late night talk shows starting earlier.

But I could see it becoming a thing if the networks drop an hour of prime time in the future. Maybe CT/MT stations could have the option of 7-9 or 8-10.
They would have likely had Central Time stations delaying programming locally, as they were doing in the Mountain Time zone (only NBC had a matching Mountain Time feed.). At least for CBS affiliates, they could drop in one extra minute of commercials per prime-time hour to defray the expense of the equipment, as could Indianapolis before 2005 during the time everyone else was on DST.

Looking through some old listings recently, I completely forgot that WBTV had moved Jeopardy to 4:30pm right before it moved to WSOC in 1990. As for Wheel of Fortune, they aired it at 10am at that time, however I am not sure if it was the network version with Bob Goen as host (which would have been on a one day delay because it didn’t air until 10:30am ET nationally) or the syndicated version. According to Wikipedia it was the network version but they could be wrong. Family Feud aired at 4pm and they replaced Wheel and Jeopardy at 5 with Geraldo and then Magnum, PI.

Looking through some old listings recently, I completely forgot that WBTV had moved Jeopardy to 4:30pm right before it moved to WSOC in 1990. As for Wheel of Fortune, they aired it at 10am at that time, however I am not sure if it was the network version with Bob Goen as host (which would have been on a one day delay because it didn’t air until 10:30am ET nationally) or the syndicated version. According to Wikipedia it was the network version but they could be wrong. Family Feud aired at 4pm and they replaced Wheel and Jeopardy at 5 with Geraldo and then Magnum, PI.

Are you central time cuz they aired the network version of Wheel of Fortune in Des Moines at 10am for most of its run.

Are you central time cuz they aired the network version of Wheel of Fortune in Des Moines at 10am for most of its run.
No, Eastern. I was referring to when Wheel was on CBS. You are probably referring to when it was on NBC.

Back
Top Bottom