• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHBQ-FM

In the late seventies and early eighties, lower rotations were also common on the syndicated automated formats that ran on a lot of the smaller market FM stations. I recall Drake-Chenault's XT40 format running their powers at about 50x a week (at least on KSXT-FM in Walla Walla, WA), TM Stereo Rock at about 34x a week (KHQ-FM Spokane, KNWR Bellingham), and Century 21's Z Format seemingly similar in rotations to Stereo Rock (KFFM Yakima, which is still Top 40 today). But repetition was typically much higher in large markets where the stations were live and locally programmed.

I'd say that even after all of those automated formats were long gone, smaller market Top 40 stations tended towards less repetition that their major market counterparts. Through much of the 90s, R&R showed stations like KHKS in Dallas spinning their powers 99x a week, while at (for example) WKRZ Wilkes Barre is was half that.

So far as I'm aware, no Top 40 station in the U.S. regardless of market size rotates their powers as infrequently as WKRZ did back then.
WKRZ is an amazing CHR.

How is that not a Hot AC?
Just looking at the playlist and sample hour, it looks more like a CHR than a Hot AC to me. That said, their maximum rotation are still lower than the average CHR -- but at about 80x plays per week instead of around 50x as it was back in the nineties.

Just looking at the playlist and sample hour, it looks more like a CHR than a Hot AC to me. That said, their maximum rotation are still lower than the average CHR -- but at about 80x plays per week instead of around 50x as it was back in the nineties.
It looks squarely within Hot AC to me. Way more golds, some Hot AC songs which didn't crossover (Kelly Clarkson), and the last three songs definitely in the hour.

To be a chart reporter in a specific format, a station has to meet certain requirements. Those requirements are set by the chart editor. They include a certain number of currents. This is to satisfy the record labels, who are partners in the chart. If a station is not playing enough currents, it is dropped from the CHR reporting panel by the chart editor.

According to Mediabase, the chart reporter for Hot AC is WMC, and there is no chart reporter listed for CHR.

They usually wait a few months for ratings information before designating a station as a reporter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom