• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What's the Status of 600, 940 and 990 in Montreal?

Cfqr 600

Launched on Friday afternoon just before 5 pm. Right now it's contemporary pop music with a couple of announcements. One promises the launch of regular programming soon. The station operates with a directional signal and at 10kw day and 5kw at night.

The station at this point, August-September 2019, is mostly automated oldies. It's a wide mix, perhaps too wide. Montreal has no classic hits station on FM, so why not try to have a focused playlist? Maybe 70s/80s. But there's no need to play a rap song from Will Smith, which I heard.

I suppose the station wants to eventually be mostly talk, to compete with the mega-ratings enjoyed by 800 CJAD. I heard an interview on Monday morning, but otherwise, it's been all automated oldies.

I also had trouble picking the station up at the U.S. border. I had to go well into Canada to hear it well. Which is odd because supposedly it's 10,000 watts days and 5,000 watts nights. The old CFCF was only 5,000 watts but was fairly clear in Northern Vermont and Northeast NY.

Hard to believe the original post in this thread is dated July 2017. Now it's more than two years later and CFQR is only doing what it must to keep the license.

The station at this point, August-September 2019, is mostly automated oldies. It's a wide mix, perhaps too wide. Montreal has no classic hits station on FM, so why not try to have a focused playlist? Maybe 70s/80s. But there's no need to play a rap song from Will Smith, which I heard.

I suppose the station wants to eventually be mostly talk, to compete with the mega-ratings enjoyed by 800 CJAD. I heard an interview on Monday morning, but otherwise, it's been all automated oldies.

I also had trouble picking the station up at the U.S. border. I had to go well into Canada to hear it well. Which is odd because supposedly it's 10,000 watts days and 5,000 watts nights. The old CFCF was only 5,000 watts but was fairly clear in Northern Vermont and Northeast NY.

Hard to believe the original post in this thread is dated July 2017. Now it's more than two years later and CFQR is only doing what it must to keep the license.

No surprise you couldnt hear the station till you got into Canada.. its a multi tower directional

https://radio-locator.com/info/CFQR-AM

This entry on R-L actually looks to be pretty accurate for Canadian data

600 and 940, after being off the air for most of the early 2000s, returned a year or two ago.

CFQR 600 is mostly automated oldies with hardly any announcements or I.D.s, although I did hear an interview on a Monday morning. It's supposed to be operating with 10,000 watts by day and 5,000 watts at night. But the signal is no where as good as the old CFCF, which once occupied AM 600. It had been Canada's first radio station, experimenting in 1919 with a regular schedule before KDKA, using XWA as its original call sign.

940 CFNV is the French equivalent of CFQR. It is mostly automated French and English oldies, with hardly any announcements or I.D.s. I think the signal is even weaker than on 600, even though 940 is a clear channel frequency and this should be a Class A station. The old CBM 940 ran 50,000 watts. It had a very slight null at night to protect Mexico City but had a signal virtually as good as CBF 690. Today's CFNV can barely be heard at the U.S. border. So I assume the station is only running 5,000 watts.

980 CHRF is airing French adult standards. It too is largely automated. The signal isn't bad. 980's previous occupant was CKGM, which moved to 690 a decade ago. Another group bought the equipment and tower CKGM had used for a French language station. But again, 980 CHRF has barely any announcements or commercials. Just automated older French music.

I wonder how long the CRTC will allow 600 and 940 to be only automated oldies?

Seems like they are taking an awfully long time to debut their talk format...is there any update when CFQR 600 will launch their talk format?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom