• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What's going on at KCSM?

Last nite instead of "Jazz Tonight" we got a pre-recorded "Morning Cup" with Jayn Pettngil. This morning in place of "Morning Cup" we're hearing a "Jazz in the Afternoon" with Chuy. Bizarre. Maybe the campus was shut down due to flooding?

Tuned back in midday... Chris Cortez is on but it appears to be a rerun from their archives (he referenced Tony Bennett "just announced" he's retiring and that happened last August; he also played an album he said was "Brand new, just released" and it came out in, yes, August). But at least they have Cortez in the right time slot. :) San Mateo County has declared a state of emergency so I'm assuming that's the culprit here. You'd think maybe they'd post something on their Facebook or Twitter. Much like KPOO, KCSM's social media accounts are rather under-utilized.

Last edited:
Tuned back in midday... Chris Cortez is on but it appears to be a rerun from their archives (he referenced Tony Bennett "just announced" he's retiring and that happened last August; he also played an album he said was "Brand new, just released" and it came out in, yes, August). But at least they have Cortez in the right time slot. :) San Mateo County has declared a state of emergency so I'm assuming that's the culprit here. You'd think maybe they'd post something on their Facebook or Twitter. Much like KPOO, KCSM's social media accounts are rather under-utilized.
The College of San Mateo campus is on the top of a hill, so it's unlikely the whole campus is flooded. But if I recall correctly, the KCSM office/studio is on the first floor, or possibly even the basement, of whichever building they're in.

There's a banner on the San Mateo County Community College District (parent organization) website: "Access to SMCCD physical locations will close at 12:00 am midnight, January 4th, until further notice. Please visit emergency.smccd.info for more information."

So it's likely they're concerned that today's lollapalooza storm, between high winds and intense rainfall, could make it unsafe to be there, and they've relocated to a backup location with only a server and canned programming to feed the transmitter until power, weather or internet issues knock it off the air.

There's a banner on the San Mateo County Community College District (parent organization) website: "Access to SMCCD physical locations will close at 12:00 am midnight, January 4th, until further notice. Please visit emergency.smccd.info for more information."

So it's likely they're concerned that today's lollapalooza storm, between high winds and intense rainfall, could make it unsafe to be there, and they've relocated to a backup location with only a server and canned programming to feed the transmitter until power, weather or internet issues knock it off the air.

Thanks, that certainly makes sense. Chuy appeared to be "live" this afternoon, based on his not making any outdated references, and I believe he has the ability to broadcast from a home studio. Pete Fallico is on now with "Jazz Oasis" but he's always pre-recorded in the evening.

Isn't Alisa Clancy on KCBS now? She's been anchoring late evenings (sometimes earlier, sometimes later) since I think early 2022 or mid-late '21.

c

I know my response to this thread is ridiculously late, but it if KCSM were to flood, I would be looking for Noah. They are on the top of a hill in San Mateo. The outage referred to earlier was most likely due to the strong winds that have accompanied many of the recent storms. I live about one mile from KCSM, and wind gusts have been as high as 60mph multiple times this year. Downed trees, downed wires, power failures, cable outages, you name it. We wanted rain, and we got it!

Turned the station on this morning (Sunday) at 7:30 expecting "Juke in the Back" and instead we were in the middle of a Jayne Pettingyl "Morning Cup" rerun, which is still going at 9:15. So no Richard Hadlock and no "Jazz Inspired" either. Very odd. Even odder, they posted a blurb for "Jazz Inspired" on their Facebook page barely an hour ago. Ooops.

Turned the station on this morning (Sunday) at 7:30 expecting "Juke in the Back" and instead we were in the middle of a Jayne Pettingyl "Morning Cup" rerun, which is still going at 9:15. So no Richard Hadlock and no "Jazz Inspired" either. Very odd. Even odder, they posted a blurb for "Jazz Inspired" on their Facebook page barely an hour ago. Ooops.

Facebook posts can be typed up and scheduled in advance. Go look at the KSKO facebook page for the "morning updates". they post at 635am every morning, but i worked on them Saturday morning all at once.

This could be they scheduled a post as a promo for the show days ahead of time and the host is out sick or was let go.. and sometimes, theres a disconnect between spocial media and programming people

This could be they scheduled a post as a promo for the show days ahead of time and the host is out sick or was let go.. and sometimes, theres a disconnect between social media and programming people

No doubt the FB post was scheduled in advance, but the point is that all their Sun morning specialty shows are pre-recorded and/or syndicated product; someone being "out sick" is not a possibility in those cases. Why a "Morning Cup of Jazz" replay was in their place just seems really strange, unless they've suddenly dumped all those shows in some unexpected budget crunch. But they just completed a successful Pledge Drive.

No doubt the FB post was scheduled in advance, but the point is that all their Sun morning specialty shows are pre-recorded and/or syndicated product; someone being "out sick" is not a possibility in those cases. Why a "Morning Cup of Jazz" replay was in their place just seems really strange, unless they've suddenly dumped all those shows in some unexpected budget crunch. But they just completed a successful Pledge Drive.
More likely that there were technical issues related to the storms of the past few days. "mdh" (msg #8) mentioned that wind gusts around CSM's hilltop campus have been as high as 60 mph, and I can attest that the peninsula got hammered again this morning. Guessing (with no inside knowledge) that they keep a backup server on hot standby at the transmitter, loaded with a few days of previously aired programs, plus some way for the PD (or another manager) to switch the program feed on the fly from live ops to the backup server when weather/power/communications problems arise or conditions become too dangerous for a live body to get there and/or stay there.

Interesting (and welcome) announcement last nite: Harry Duncan said that beginning July 2nd, his excellent "In the Soul KItchen" show will expand to 3 hours. However, he said it would now be on from 7 to 10. So what's happening to their 6-8pm World Music show, "Desde La Bahia"? is it being cut to one hour? They could easily have scheduled Duncan from 8 to 11 and moved the (fairly unnecessary) replay of "Juke in the Back" from a 10:00 to an 11:00 start. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

KCSM's new Station manager, Dr Robert A Franklin, a veteran of public radio (he's managed stations in Oho and Alabama and elsewhere) is putting his stamp on the jazz station: he's added a monthly "conversation" with the mayor of San Mateo and is shuffling the Sunday morning lineup to include a pair of non-music shows to each air 2 Sundays a month in the 8am hour. What that means for Richard Hadlock reruns is unclear. I can't recall ever hearing non-music shows on the station.

KCSM's new Station manager, Dr Robert A Franklin, a veteran of public radio (he's managed stations in Oho and Alabama and elsewhere) is putting his stamp on the jazz station: he's added a monthly "conversation" with the mayor of San Mateo and is shuffling the Sunday morning lineup to include a pair of non-music shows to each air 2 Sundays a month in the 8am hour. What that means for Richard Hadlock reruns is unclear. I can't recall ever hearing non-music shows on the station.
Except in ancient times when KCSM was a 1 kW daytimer on 1050 !

To follow-up, the 2 new shows are: Making Contact (1st & 4th Sunday, 8-830 am) and Sisters & Friends (2nd & 3rd Sunday, 8-830 am). Both are interview/discussion shows. Jazz Inspired, currently at 9am, moves to 7am; Juke in the Back will now air only once, at 10pm Sunday. Richard Hadlock's Annals of Jazz will move to Monday nite at 10. It's not clear, but I'm guessing they're going back to their old regular Sunday sked of being DJ-hosted from 830-Noon. This all starts next weekend (10/1/23).

To follow-up, the 2 new shows are: Making Contact (1st & 4th Sunday, 8-830 am) and Sisters & Friends (2nd & 3rd Sunday, 8-830 am). Both are interview/discussion shows. Jazz Inspired, currently at 9am, moves to 7am; Juke in the Back will now air only once, at 10pm Sunday. Richard Hadlock's Annals of Jazz will move to Monday nite at 10. It's not clear, but I'm guessing they're going back to their old regular Sunday sked of being DJ-hosted from 830-Noon. This all starts next weekend (10/1/23).
They're plugging the heck out of their new public affairs shows; besides the ones mentioned above, Station manager Dr Franklin will apparently be on in that 8:30 slot with Like It Is, and Leslie Stovall will host a show called Places and Spaces at 9am. (And based on the comments on their Facebook page, a lot of folks are not happy -- they're even complaining about the fact that the deejays have started giving the weather occasionally!)

Discovered that KCSM seems to have dumped their old website in favor of a new model using the template that NPR stations use.

I'm guessing it's a work-in-progress, since the program schedule features long-gone shows like "Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz", "All Out", "I'm Talkin Jazz" and "Desert Island Jazz".

Back
Top Bottom