• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What was the 1st song on radio that had the F-word in original recording?

Lkeller said:
Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe Ingram pulled some stunts like a DJ in the Bay Area in the 80s that would occasionally insert satirical jingles that sounded just like the regular station jingles. Not sure if the station actually came up with the $$ to record them, or if he used some other trick.

The only one I remember is the generic jock jingle he would play occasionally:

"Your name here, 99 point seven, K-Y-U-U."

I like it!

No, Ingram had an acapella jingle "Daaan Ingram" that he played about 10 times an hour...but Ingram never stopped what was happening...the jingles were all over records, his rap, whatever. He used the jingle like a rimshot at the end of most jokes. It was so overdone (and I love Ingram), that Imus bootlegged a copy and started playing it on his show at WNBC...the competition...until management told him to stop.

michael hagerty said:
Lkeller said:
Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe Ingram pulled some stunts like a DJ in the Bay Area in the 80s that would occasionally insert satirical jingles that sounded just like the regular station jingles. Not sure if the station actually came up with the $$ to record them, or if he used some other trick.

The only one I remember is the generic jock jingle he would play occasionally:

"Your name here, 99 point seven, K-Y-U-U."

I like it!

No, Ingram had an acapella jingle "Daaan Ingram" that he played about 10 times an hour...but Ingram never stopped what was happening...the jingles were all over records, his rap, whatever. He used the jingle like a rimshot at the end of most jokes. It was so overdone (and I love Ingram), that Imus bootlegged a copy and started playing it on his show at WNBC...the competition...until management told him to stop.

Funny. Reminds me of 2 stories - both totally off the subject of the thread.

Though "The Rabbitt" (Jimmy Rabbitt) was considered more FM than AM, and a fish out of water at KRLA, I recall that he often flogged his jock jingle to death - using it maybe 8 or 10 times an hour. An ego thing, perhaps - or maybe on those nights he was relaxing with a joint or two.

RE: Imus/Ingram - When Bob Dayton was in afternoon drive at KRLA against The Real Don Steele, he used a lot of pre-recorded cut-in bits. For awhile, he used bits recorded by a confused and punch-drunk RDS sound-alike, who notably couldn't pronounce "Los Angeles" (Boss Angeles -get it?). These bits only lasted a few weeks, so I figured station management told him to knock it off.

Bob1370 said:
"Also, a song, by a group whose name escapes me, had a carefully crafted song title
that spelled out(sort of) the f-bomb. The song title: "If You See Kaye".
(Say it briskly to get the best effect.)"

That was ID'd above as April Wine. But last year Britney Spears pulled the same trick and got a lot further with hot rotation airplay (and chart success) with "If You Seek Amy". Say it fast (or sing it fast like she did) and you get the message...

Though not a song, didn't Soupy Sales supposedly start that whole thing back on his kiddie show in Detroit, when he said "I see F, you see K" ?

:-[

(Um, one further clarification. It's not "wrapped up," it's "revved up". What I meant was that "revved up like a deuce" sounded like "wrapped up like a deuce." Now I feel like a deuce bag!)

radiomonkey2 said:
Bob1370 said:
"Also, a song, by a group whose name escapes me, had a carefully crafted song title
that spelled out(sort of) the f-bomb. The song title: "If You See Kaye".
(Say it briskly to get the best effect.)"

That was ID'd above as April Wine. But last year Britney Spears pulled the same trick and got a lot further with hot rotation airplay (and chart success) with "If You Seek Amy". Say it fast (or sing it fast like she did) and you get the message...

Though not a song, didn't Soupy Sales supposedly start that whole thing back on his kiddie show in Detroit, when he said "I see F, you see K" ?

The Poster Children had a '90s alt-rock rock with a different version of a song titled "If You See Kay"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zI6GupjjJ0

"And/if you see Kay/Tell her....AAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!........"

Will do..... ::)

Irene Cara got away with the same thing in "Flashdance What a Feeling" when she sang, "...in a flashit takes hold of my heart..." Maybe we can credit that to Giorgio Moroder and Keith Forsey, who wrote/porduced the song for her.

100% agree. I have thought this ever since the song came out in 1983! Cara could have easily paused between "flash" and "it", but didn't. While she probably did it for better 'flow', surely the producer must have thought it could be misconstrued.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom