• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What should KIXI do next?

In lots of smaller markets a well built translator can cover everything that matters. If you are in Valdosta, GA, or Albuquerque of Prescott, AZ or Lima, OH a translator... particularly on a tower over 500 feet, is quite viable. At around that point, they become comparable with a conforming Class A operation.

Remember, Urban One's Class A in DC with 2,900 watts at under 500 feet is 11th in revenue and 9th in 25-54 ratings. So a good translator in Roanoke or Fredricksburg or Harrisonburg or the like can do very well.
Albuquerque is a great example. A 250 W translator on Sandia Crest would get out as good as a C3 signal. Even Portland is a decent example, as 250 W from Silvan would get out pretty well. The 104.5 is back on from Skyline, which uses only 99 W but still really gets out. With nothing around on a clear frequency, a translator in Portland could be as good of a signal as either 93.1 or 96.3. The problem is that the dial is so packed that there are few if any viable frequencies. Take the 102.3 in Portland. I'm sure that would be a good signal if it weren't for KCRX 70 miles to the northwest and KEHK 100 miles to the south.

Albuquerque is a great example. A 250 W translator on Sandia Crest would get out as good as a C3 signal. Even Portland is a decent example, as 250 W from Silvan would get out pretty well. The 104.5 is back on from Skyline, which uses only 99 W but still really gets out. With nothing around on a clear frequency, a translator in Portland could be as good of a signal as either 93.1 or 96.3. The problem is that the dial is so packed that there are few if any viable frequencies. Take the 102.3 in Portland. I'm sure that would be a good signal if it weren't for KCRX 70 miles to the northwest and KEHK 100 miles to the south.
I have nothing to base it on but disagree that a translator is on par with a Class C3 and have my doubts about a full Class A, although it can probably beat out an original 3KW Class A.

I have nothing to base it on but disagree that a translator is on par with a Class C3 and have my doubts about a full Class A, although it can probably beat out an original 3KW Class A.

The actual numbers disagree with you. Translators can run 250 watts with no height restriction. A full 6 kW class A height-derated to 1250 meters AAT gets just 35 watts ERP. A 25 kW class C3 gets 115 watts ERP. A 50 kW class C2 gets 440 watts ERP.

So a 250-watt translator at 1250 meters is bigger than a C3, while a 99-watt translator is slightly (but not much) smaller than a C3 and still more powerful than a 6 kW A.

I just ran a couple numbers. A 250 watt translator from the top of Sandia Crest would be almost as good as a C2 signal, while the same translator from Portland's highest site would be only slightly larger than a class A. The problem is that I can think of very few if any markets where fully licensed stations could be on par with translators. In Portland, most of the signals from Silvan run 100 KW, so a 250 W signal would be crap in comparison, though it would cover the core of the Portland Vancouver metro just fine. Because of the topography in Seattle, I can't see AM to translators working too well even if there were frequencies available. I find 104.5 just barely adequate for Seattle. Of course, you also need a high enough site as well. I can't see how a translator can do well against a 3 KW class A.

I just ran a couple numbers. A 250 watt translator from the top of Sandia Crest would be almost as good as a C2 signal, while the same translator from Portland's highest site would be only slightly larger than a class A. The problem is that I can think of very few if any markets where fully licensed stations could be on par with translators. In Portland, most of the signals from Silvan run 100 KW, so a 250 W signal would be crap in comparison, though it would cover the core of the Portland Vancouver metro just fine. Because of the topography in Seattle, I can't see AM to translators working too well even if there were frequencies available. I find 104.5 just barely adequate for Seattle. Of course, you also need a high enough site as well. I can't see how a translator can do well against a 3 KW class A.
I'm glad I put in the disclaimer! Nevertheless, It's pretty hard to get a translator up to 250 watts unless it's in the clear and even then, you have to worry about building penetration.

Speaking of Wally Nelskog, he put on a station at 95.7 called KIXI Lite. Lasted a couple years or so in the early 80’s.

As for KVI going oldies, if memory serves it was KNBQ who buried them switching from CHR to oldies, I think around ‘87.
Was KIXI Lite Soft AC? If so, it was tried again in 1986 as Lite 95.7 KLTX. That was also short lived.and then they switched to regular AC, and dumped all the jocks going automated.

Yes, KIXI light started as a soft ac (circa ‘81) the format changed gradually but eventually was sold. It had become too eclectic., New owners made it more mainstream. Under various Pd’s and owners the format became mainstream. The frequency today is much more profitable due to bringing the station to the masses instead of trying to find a narrow niche. A lesson learned in a major market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom