• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What Operating Systems Do You Use?

Not long ago, my city decided to replace their 5 year old computers. I thought it a shame that so many good machines could wind up trashed. So I asked for some of them. My wife and I went to a warehouse where the HP desktops were stacked high.

We loaded the car so full of computers there was hardly room for us to sit. I brought them all back to life and they run radio stations with window 10. And, I have spares for spares. My wife doesn't think we need 35 computers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad that I have a spare Computer. Fixing to take it to my engineer and see if we can use it for the live stream, still scheduled to sign on, next month. The broadcast one is going to be fixed, while I'm visiting him. Hope to have no new breakdowns, once I get the broadcast one running again.​

Dan <><

P.S. Keep those spares @Harvey_Dogg You still don't know when you'll need them.

Glad that I have a spare Computer. Fixing to take it to my engineer and see if we can use it for the live stream, still scheduled to sign on, next month. The broadcast one is going to be fixed, while I'm visiting him. Hope to have no new breakdowns, once I get the broadcast one running again.​

Dan <><

P.S. Keep those spares @Harvey_Dogg You still don't know when you'll need them.
Old computers work fine for streaming. You need at least a Pentium 4 running at 3 gigs and 1 gig of ram. You can use XP. But don't ever surf the internet on it. Put it behind a firewall. However there are better computers being thrown away that work great for radio.

The HP desktops our city donated to us cost more than $4,000 a piece when new. So, they are still way better than the specs just mentioned.

Dan, Is your computer problem with hardware or is it software?

25 years ago, I had a GM steal about $25,000 in new top of the line radio equipment. Wouldn't it be a shame if he found religion, felt guilty, and dropped it all on my porch today? The moral is that today's top of the line is tomorrow's junk!

The only computer that has been bad luck is an Acer Windows 10 laptop that I bought at Walmart for my wife 3 years ago. Letters on the keyboard quit working. So, I went on YouTube to see how to replace the keyboard. You'd have to take that Acer machine completely apart to do that.

So my wife agreed with Kelly A's wife. She needed a new top of the line Windows 11 laptop. That's what she has now. I think
Kelly A needs to get one for his wife too!

For the time being, another less expensive shiny object seems to have redirected the interest in a new Win11 machine.
You mean like diamonds, gold, and silver. My wife likes those too. Now, don't be giving her any more ideas.

My time has a lot of value, even though I'm now retired. Linux > Windows (and let's not even go into MacOS). I spend little time administering any Linux machine. The days of mode lines, manual disk partitioning, configuring a window manager, and swap files are long in the past.

I started using Windows in 1992 (3.0) and Linux in 1998 (an early Debian). I have learned a lot from both, and used both of them professionally and personally. The best versions of Windows were 2000, XP Pro, and 7 Pro, and DOS-based 3.1 and 98SE were decent. I have never used a "non-Pro" version of Windows since 98SE, and for good reason.

I broke with Windows in 2017 when the laptop I'm typing on now bricked after a Win10 Pro update. It's been running Mint (currently 20.3) ever since, as have all my other PCs save for a 2009-vintage Acer netbook that runs Slackware. I even converted my 2012-vintage Mac to Mint 20.3 after realizing that its MacOS hadn't been upgradable since 2018. It runs Mint perfectly.

No OS is perfect. In fact, they all suck; they just suck differently.
Well if North Korea gives everyone else ransomware, at least your computers will still be working with Linux.

I understand completely. Not only the time consumption, but also the loss of available space on the hard drive that the updates cause. Fortunately, there is a way to disable automatic Windows updates permanently, and it is working for me. The video below provides the details.

I think this information is useful for those who are using Windows 10 to run automation and need the computer to run 24-7.

I am fortunate with my organization's MS Licensing, I can use Windows 10 LTSC (1809/2019).
It only has security updates and is supported until 2024 and can be until 2029, with extra $$$ support.
I still have the updates set to download from internal WSUS and turn off the notifications.
I create a backup image with Macrium Reflect workstation 8. (Never have trusted MS and never will).

But I too prefer Linux, (OpenSuse Leap/tumbleweed) over Windows. Not looking forward to 11 and might just have only 1 machine set to it in the end... They keep making the next version too Fischer Price looking.

Well if North Korea gives everyone else ransomware, at least your computers will still be working with Linux.
As many of you will nod affirmatively I am still running Win7 Ultimate. I dropped updating years ago and have not had one single OS issue with it since. I'm thinking I will die before my PC does. ;)

I run a couple of Win XP machines as well as 7, 10 and 11. I also run a few Linux PCs. I have no problem with Linux and it is easier and faster to install than Windows.

My biggesdt gripe is, why does Microsoft need to keep changing the freakin' user interface? It takes me longer to find where to do something than to do it.

I have a computer that's been streaming our station on the internet for 19 years. I have computer's ready to replace it. But, it just won't die.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom