• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What kind of antenna is this?

I'm planning to drive through the area tomorrow, but I won't have time to stop in and ask, even if the person is home.

It's way out in the country, very high off the ground. It looks like it might be as long as the house, with two or three X's, turned so they look more like the Red Cross logo.

vchimpanzee said:
I'm planning to drive through the area tomorrow, but I won't have time to stop in and ask, even if the person is home.

It's way out in the country, very high off the ground. It looks like it might be as long as the house, with two or three X's, turned so they look more like the Red Cross logo.

Sounds like a ham radio quad.

radioman148 said:
vchimpanzee said:

Sounds like a ham radio quad.
Yeah, I figured it wasn't a TV antenna.

I just passed it a couple of hours ago and it's actually more like six vertical lines. Maybe seeing it from a different angle made a difference.

Sounds like a Ham Radio antenna, 80 or 160 meter bands if it's that huge - can you take a digital picture and post it or find a similar one online and post the link?

stormy01 said:
Sounds like a Ham Radio antenna, 80 or 160 meter bands if it's that huge - can you take a digital picture and post it or find a similar one online and post the link?

Yeah a picture would really help.

stormy01 said:
chrisalcorn said:
Could it be a moonraker beam?
radioman148 said:
Yeah a picture would really help.

Like this? http://www.livecbradio.com/moonraker-antenna_files/moonraker-antenna.jpg

Or this? http://199.245.125.13/hampages/r/u/k3ur/K3UR_s_5_Band_Quad.JPG
The first one's closer. I don't think that kite is there.

I wouldn't have a camera and I'm usually driving a long way when I pass by. I won't go there again until September.

It's interesting to note that my grandmother's former apartment building has a big tower on top and there are several antennas. One looks like the first one I described but much smaller. The other looks like what the antenna I saw actually looks like. Again, much smaller.

The second one looks like what I thought I was remembering.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom