• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is with CAP?

Cynyster

Inactive
Inactive User
Has anyone noticed the near daily CAP messages coming across now?

They all say weekly test and list about 22 states that the alert is for.

I am curious as to what is going on. ???

Cynyster said:
Has anyone noticed the near daily CAP messages coming across now?

They all say weekly test and list about 22 states that the alert is for.

I am curious as to what is going on. ???

I had to set my filters for CAP messages on my DASDEC to keep from getting everything.

RFB

Good one Tom! CAP to me aught to be re-worded CrAP. In the event of a real emergency either their stuff, our stuff, or the internet connectivity itself will fail. What a stupid idea. With all the other things the government wastes money on, couldn't they rent one single audio channel from NPR or something and just put the distribution there?

OKCRadioGuy said:
With all the other things the government wastes money on.....

Ah, but it is all of us who are wasting money, buying new equipment for this unfunded mandate!

Which brings me to a question while I wait for my CrAP to arrive: I am the last station down the line, receiving from my LP1 and LP2 stations over the air and other than rebroadcasting the alerts to the public I am not retransmitting them to any other station. Is there going to be any other signal or tones sent by my LP1 or LP2 station that my current EAS decoder wont hear, and if I am getting everything over the air from them, why exactly do I need to upgrade to hear what I am already hearing? I cant get terrestial internet at my station and have survived for a long time without blowing a lot of money on satellite internet. Am I going to have to sign up to HughesNet or Wild Blue just to hear what i am already hearing! :mad:

They send a RWT for each time zone, so that's the list of states....just set your unit to only accept the ones for your state(s).
They are sending them daily, since the deadline is this week.

My operators are hoping and praying for the day they go back to an actual WEEKLY test. ;D

Just to see what's happening, the other states CAP RWTs' show up in our "Other" filter for now.
When we get tired of it we'll kill it. Otherwise doesn't bother us at all. No big deal.

As stated the CAP tests are daily until the deadline of the 30th for those still setting up. I have the "Other" filiter set to just handle "local area" on our 6 Sage units. Unfortunately our actual Local listening area (not operational area) covers NV and CA in our Pacific zone, Northern AZ in the Mountain zone and I have the Wash, DC for EAN stuff in our local area filters for now. What had been a max 4 page printout of the last weeks activities monitoring 2 LP's, the NWS and a PEP is now running to 25 pages. That will end next week. At least now I know that it will work as I have it setup and I have confidence in our system.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom