• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

what is used for STLs?

As many of you have probably discerned, I'm not an industry insider. I'm a sideline observer who has been fascinated by, and has loved, radio broadcasting since 1961. I've spent my professional life working as an engineer in telecommunications for the better part of 40 years. And I realize that during that time, broadcast technology, with which I have not kept up, has changed much, though, IMHO, not necessarily for the better.

Case in point audio over IP (AoIP). I listen to WRKO throughout much of its broadcast day: The Morning Show, The Financial Exchange, Howie (OK, so I tune away for three hours to hear Rush on a NH station). None of the programs mentioned originates in the 'RKO studios, all are offsite, and I believe the links between the points of origination and 'RKO's control room are AoIP. Frequent gurgling, warbling, dropouts, etc.; you know, the typical AoIP artifacts.

So, tell me, please: are T1 or ISDN lines still available? What about analog or digital microwave links? If so, why shouldn't these be used?

And what do stations use for their STLs? I would hope something more reliable than AoIP, but would like to hear from those of you in the industry.

Thanks.

I'm not a radio insider either (well, at least broadcast radio, I do hold several commercial operator licenses in the maritime genre), just a listener who works in the IT industry. Last I knew Verizon stopped taking orders for new ISDN installs about 4 years ago. T1 lines are still available, but hideously expensive. A buddy of mine in Boston swapped out all his T1 frame-relay circuits for "newer" EVPL circuits verizon offered him at a cost savings of several thousands of dollars per month, and now gets speeds 10's of times faster. So using a T1 line may still be an option but I think the move has been to shift data transmission off to these alternate service offerings.

Perhaps, depending on where you are, your only option may be T1 -- my buddy still had T1 circuits to several branch offices because EVPL service wasn't available to those remote sites due to their location. We were literally just at the point where we were going to investigate cable internet at each location and set up point-to-point VPN circuits when Verizon offered point-to-point EVPL, at a price which is about the same as business-class cable internet. Less hardware and link management for EVPL, so we went that route even though it was slightly more expensive.

I would think STLs are moving to digital, simply for audio quality, but that would be complete supposition on my part. However, I also assume they have backup links in place, since there's nothing worse than "dead air".

I listen to WRKO throughout much of its broadcast day: The Morning Show, The Financial Exchange, Howie (OK, so I tune away for three hours to hear Rush on a NH station). None of the programs mentioned originates in the 'RKO studios, all are offsite, and I believe the links between the points of origination and 'RKO's control room are AoIP. Frequent gurgling, warbling, dropouts, etc.; you know, the typical AoIP artifacts.

So, tell me, please: are T1 or ISDN lines still available? What about analog or digital microwave links? If so, why shouldn't these be used?

And what do stations use for their STLs? I would hope something more reliable than AoIP, but would like to hear from those of you in the industry.

Thanks.

I can' t speak for WRKO; I've never had any connection with that station. Most of my clients use some form of AoIP to get their programming from studio to transmitter. One still uses an analog 950 MHz over-the-air link. Two others have dedicated lines (one fiber; the other, old fashioned analog over copper) that they own and maintain. And one client runs his automation at his transmitter site, maintaining an AoIP connection from the studio as a backup (it has never been on the air).

T1 is still available, but is slow and expensive. A couple clients still have ISDN lines, but it's no longer possible to order new ISDN lines in this area. Verizon no longer offers program lines and abruptly disconnected the remaining ones a year or so ago.

There are lots of over-the-air microwave options, ranging from cheap unlicensed 5.8 GHz links to more expensive licensed 6 or 11 GHz links. All of them provide bidirectional IP connectivity, so the delivery method is still AoIP. I wouldn't use an unlicensed link in the Boston area; there's too much potential for interference.

WAZN and WLYN - STL's are Comrex Briclink, backup ST's are Barix Instreamers
Remote studios (customers) - Barix Exstreamers, Comrex Matrix dial-up's

WAZN and WLYN - STL's are Comrex Briclink, backup ST's are Barix Instreamers
Remote studios (customers) - Barix Exstreamers, Comrex Matrix dial-up's

How are you using the Matrixes? One of my clients has a couple but no longer uses them, as the POTS lines in his area no longer support much beyond 14,400 bps, and drop out frequently even at that speed.

WLYN-WAZN has 2 Comrex Matrix rack-mounted units. Each is on its own dedicated POTS line. So far, they are used only for
incoming audio from programmers' locations. #1 - used daily, with little to no issues. #2 - different programmer, with a number
of issues, although it would appear that the issues are on their end, not our end. We have dropped all of the 15K telco loops -
for at least a couple of years, now...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom