• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is on the radio in South Africa (Johannesburg or Cape Town)?

I've been curious lately about what you might be able to receive on the radio if you lived in either Johannesburg or Cape Town. It's fairly easy to find out what is on the dial in England, Europe, Australia, or New Zealand, but not quite as easy for south Africa. I've done some research, but information seems to be pretty limited. Is there any comprehensive list of what you can get in this region?

The World Radio Map site has full frequency listings for both Cape Town and Johannesburg. There are fewer privately owned radio stations in South Africa - the state-owned SABC owns many of the stations, and operates multiple different regional and language services due to the multilingual nature of South Africa.

A notable station in Cape Town is Bush Radio, Africa's first community radio station, which broadcast as an anti-apartheid pirate station during that period and now operates as a legitimate broadcaster. I met the operator Zane Ibrahim some years ago at a conference - very interesting individual and notable for a small part in the birth of legal US community radio.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom