• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is a Classic Hits

B

bobeeboxer

Are Classic Hits and Classic Top 40 the Same and if so which slogan is the better slogan. Which do Listeners relate more to, Classic Hits or Classic Top 40. Here The Oldies Station now plays 50's thru 80's and calls it self Classic Top 40 but then I see another station with the same slogan but they play late 60's to early 80's noathing pre 67!

I like the term Greatest Hits of All time. Thoughts?

Can a station playing classic Top 40 win by playing as I heard to night...The Cars Shake it up into Elvis Don't Be Cruel into I will survive Gloria Gaynor and then a Beatles tune, however this same station during the day is more mid 60's over all

bobeeboxer said:
Are Classic Hits and Classic Top 40 the Same and if so which slogan is the better slogan. Which do Listeners relate more to, Classic Hits or Classic Top 40. Here The Oldies Station now plays 50's thru 80's and calls it self Classic Top 40 but then I see another station with the same slogan but they play late 60's to early 80's noathing pre 67!

I've never heard anyone use the term "Classic Top 40"...sounds kind of clunky to me.

Can a station playing classic Top 40 win by playing as I heard to night...The Cars Shake it up into Elvis Don't Be Cruel into I will survive Gloria Gaynor and then a Beatles tune, however this same station during the day is more mid 60's over all

Maybe as an older-skewing Jack station, but I'd say it's a one-way ticket to a .5 share.

There are a few stations that use the Classic Top 40 example KABG Albuquerque On air all their jingles say Classic Top 40 as do their Jocks....however their web page still sez Oldies.

Classic To 40 is also used in Columbus, Ohio and Truckin Tom Kent uses it as his slogan as well.

When I hear the term "classic hit" I think of any song that made it on the Top 40 Pop charts from the late 60s through the mid 80s. In other words, songs to reach the younger half of the baby boom generation. The wider the mix, the better. But from the narrower time period I just described. I'd love to hear Steely Dan's "Reeling In The Years", followed by the O'Jays' "Love Train", followed by Elton John's "Rocket Man" and wrap up the set with Chicago's "Feeling Stronger Everyday".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom