• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is 104.9 that's clear in Jonesboro

I was scanning the dial and my way home and after 104.7 by radio stopped on 104.9 while in downtown Jonesboro as I was driving home. It was a hip hop station so not the barnesville translator. It has to be a pirate.

Only the FCC has authority to issue radio callsigns. If it is really part 15, the range would only be 100-200 feet maximum for FM.

I was trying learn more about part 15 stations. I found nothing for this such signal on the fcc or fcc data website. I guess its not a fcc license per say. I also wonder why iheart did not care about them using the Power name.

Just google FCC part 15. It is unlicensed radiation. For the FM band it is a field strength limitation. It only takes about 10 milliwatts into a small antenna (about 1 foot) to exceed the limit. Think of the old wireless FM microphones. For the AM band the limit is 100 milliwatts into a 10 ft antenna and folks can broadcast up to 1000 feet or so. Don't know about the folks at 104.9 but the FCC is very serious about pirates now and have an active task force to shut them down. They are also sending letters to landlords where the signals are located telling them that they may also receive fines. I don't have an interest in this frequency but if I did I would have them shut down very quickly. Google the new mandate that congress gave the FCC about 1 year ago to shut down pirate radio stations. Again, they may be part 15 but the range would only be 100-200 feet.

Just google FCC part 15. It is unlicensed radiation. For the FM band it is a field strength limitation. It only takes about 10 milliwatts into a small antenna (about 1 foot) to exceed the limit. Think of the old wireless FM microphones. For the AM band the limit is 100 milliwatts into a 10 ft antenna and folks can broadcast up to 1000 feet or so. Don't know about the folks at 104.9 but the FCC is very serious about pirates now and have an active task force to shut them down. They are also sending letters to landlords where the signals are located telling them that they may also receive fines. I don't have an interest in this frequency but if I did I would have them shut down very quickly. Google the new mandate that congress gave the FCC about 1 year ago to shut down pirate radio stations. Again, they may be part 15 but the range would only be 100-200 feet.
I talked to my friend who is OM of Bear/Fox in Fayetteville about this pirate. He told me that both him and the owner weren't worried about it (even though it is on the same frequency as their WBAF xlator, and probably taking some of their coverage away) and will not be reporting it as of right now. Which I find kind of interesting. If I owned a licensed station and someone was on my frequency, I'd sure as heck be reporting them.

Back
Top Bottom