• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What hours of afternoon drive time are the biggest?

It's still the 5pm hour #1, with the 4pm hour close behind, and 3pm not far behind that. Source: Nielsen "Audio Today", 2023 edition.

It makes sense when you think about work schedules. Companies have shift change or close for the day at various hours, but relatively few are open past 6pm.

I do a show from 3-7 on a local station Friday afternoons. My experience is that the phones ring the most during the 4:00 hour. There's a big influx of requests at 3:00 when I start, but those are mostly people waiting to get their requests on and anticipating the start of my show.

So, I'd say 4:00 is the biggest hour, followed by 3:00, then 5:00. As others have said here, things really quiet down after 6:00.

Granted, that's listener interaction and a sample size of one show... but that's my experience.

It seems like there is a lot of fanfare around the 5 p.m. hour when people are getting off work, but what are ratings hot spots for programmers, but apparently this (dated) Nielson article states it is earlie4?Tuning in to Radio Listening Habits | Nielsen
It varies according to the market. 5 PM tends to have the higest PUR, but remember that in the PPM 10-3 has higer usage than 3-7 PM.

It makes sense when you think about work schedules. Companies have shift change or close for the day at various hours, but relatively few are open past 6pm.
Depends on the hours for industrial shifts, restaurants and retail.

Since COVID, there are less people listening in AM Drive and more in middays and throughout the day. AM Drive is #3 behind both middays and PM Drive in a lot of markets now. 8am, 12noon and 5pm are still the pique hours in my experience.

Since COVID, there are less people listening in AM Drive and more in middays and throughout the day. AM Drive is #3 behind both middays and PM Drive in a lot of markets now. 8am, 12noon and 5pm are still the pique hours in my experience.
Actually, since the PPM began, Middays followed by PM Drive both beat AM drive in AQH persons.

Actually, since the PPM began, Middays followed by PM Drive both beat AM drive in AQH persons.
Now, that's interesting. I've long believed AM drive was king from the past to today. Middays is also a daypart that doesn't always have a jock. One has to wonder if that's a listener preference that gives middays its edge with AQH or is it because there's so many held captive listeners at a traditional workplace? Maybe a little of both?

Back
Top Bottom