• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What Happened to Tom Franklin?

93-3TheSurge

Did Tom Franklin get replaced from KTRH's 10th Inning show? This was the first time I got to listen, and there was some other guy doing the show. Is he just subbing or did Tom Franklin move on to greener pastures?

Tom Franklin was let go from Clear Channel late in 2009 during the same layoffs that claimed David Dalati. I think Franklin continued to do U of H games this year (I'm not living in town anymore) but don't know anything else.

Tom was good for a long time but became erratic toward the end at KTRH. Maybe he knew the end was coming.

Erratic? I'm not sure where you got "erratic" Stan, but as a listener and colleague of Tom's for more than a decade, I never got the "erratic" vibe. I did get the professional, solid, big market vibe though.

Erratic? No way.

Tom is just one of a number of CC's victims who were cashiered for reasons that had nothing to do with their abilities.

To The Surge,
In early December, CC was kind enough to say that since I was a new grandpa, they thought I might like to spend some extra time with my new grandson, so why don't I take the rest of the year off... and the year after that.... and the one after that, etc. It was a business decision on their part, and I went on my way. That's life in radio today, and you just have to deal with it. I must tell you that not being a part of Opening Day with Astros was very strange, however, as I miss the daily involvement with baseball greatly.

As for Stan, he is entitled to his opinion, and it's clear that I am not one of his favorite broadcasters. That's fine, because we all have different tastes in cars, ice cream and broadcasters. I'm sure that several of the people Stan likes to listen to, I would classify as "erratic". Doesn't make either one of us right or wrong. I just know that I can look at myself in the mirror and know I always gave my employer an honest day's work.

Like many other great radio people out there in the Houston area, I am still on the outside looking in, awaiting my next opportunity, be it in radio or something else. To all who have listened in the past, thank you for taking me along and letting me be your companion for all those years, and hopefully you still will come UH football season in September.

Tom is the best UH announcer we've known this here way since Mike Edmonds. Radio is such a sad state these days. See ya over at Coogfans Tom!!! ;)

No....... thank you Tom! As always... you are the gentleman, even when you have every right to be bitter at the short sightedness of the bean counters.

poops

Had the privilege of travelling with Tom on some road games. As far as I'm concerned, he's big-market professional all the way. Best of luck in whatever you end up doing Tom. This business has been tough on a lot of us lately; but, the pros survive.

Nice to see Tom drop by. When I worked in Houston I once sat next to him at one of the Touchdown Club luncheons with Kevin Sumlin but never got to say how much I liked listening to his work on 740 with the Astros (didn't catch many UH games b/c of my own work). Always got the big-market vibe too. I particularly remember one evening on the 10th Inning following a Cubs-Astros game that he did an excellent monologue on the difference of importance of sports between northern and southern cities. Being an Ohio guy, it was cool to hear another "Yankee" (a term I hate as a Midwesterner but whatever!) put into words the things I noticed while living there.
Best of luck Tom. I hated to hear that you were let go, but hope you keep enjoying your UH work.

Wow, Tom, that was unexpected!! I thought you did a bang-up job, and I listened almost everynight from 2005 to 2009. I was usually getting ready/on my way to work, so I never got to phone in, but you made my ride to work very enjoyable, and you made me more knowledgable as an Astros fan.

I am disappointed you aren't doing the 10th Inning Show in 2010, but it seems like you are handling it well so that is good to know. Never forget that you have a huge fan in Austin, and even though KTRH didn't always come in crystal clear, it was worth the static to be able to hear your "final say" on the state of the Astros for that day.

Pete Pyeatt
Austin, TX

Tom Franklin has been a pro on the radio since the very first time he sat down in front of the microphone at 102.9 KQUE in the late 1970s playing MOR music. I was across the hall doing the all night shift at "Country Fresh" 1230 KNUZ. Since nobody was doing sports, Tom took it upon himself to create sports reports which were used on the air in morning drive on both KNUZ & KQUE.

Tom is another cat who born to be on the radio.

Chuck, my man, if those walls at 4701 Caroline could have talked, the stories they could have told about the many great people that passed though those doors. I'm honored that you put me in that group. You are one of the few guys who still "get it" that still have a forum with which to do so. I am pleased for you, and jealous at the same time. Look forward to seeing you at the reunion next week.

Pete, bless your heart for being a loyal fan across the miles and listening through the static. Reminds me of my youth, sitting on the porch with the transistor radio, and seeing what stations I could dial in from night to night. And when I found those guys who hooked me, I would do the very same thing, and would definitely get more than a little ticked off when the atmosphere prevented me from listening to one of my favorite DJ's or broadcasters doing a game.

To throw in my two cents worth... I worked with Tom at Metro when KTRH let him go the first time around 2001 or so. We just crossed paths a few times there, but he was always a pro and even though he and everyone else there knew he belonged on the air fulltime doing sports, he still gave the traffic job his best.

Good luck Tom. And welcome to the club of old radio guys on the outside lookin' in.

Kevin Charles

I miss Tom on the Astros 10th inning show. He was great at handling some difficult callers, especially during the last baseball season, and was always well prepared. Best wishes, Tom, on your future endeavors.

Kevin, thanks for letting me be a part of a very cool club. A lot of very talented radio people who get it, like you, Shiloh, Tiller, just to name a few I recognize on this board, are unable to do what you do best, and that is deliver an entertaining product to the listeners. In today's day and age of robot radio, it's plug Mister or Mizz Radio into a voice track studio, have them read a bunch of liners, and that's a radio program. Unfortunately, all that matters today is that the guys is the fancy offices who wear the fancy suits and drive the fancy cars still get to do that, and to hell with what the lsiteners are getting. Every city now has the same formats, plays the same music, and reads basically the same liners, except for the "insert your city's name here" part. The charm of radio was that it reflected the individual cities. New York radio didn't sound like Chicago, or Detroit, or Houston, or Phoenix, or LA. To me that's what made radio cool, and made me want to be a part of it.

Anyway, thanks for the note, and hope all is well with you, and thanks for letting me join the "on the sidelines" club.

Tom,
Just wanted to say that I miss the smile and wave you gave me every night as I walked past your table outside the "Bamboo" on my way into MMP. Everything said about you here is spot on. You are the true professional and gentleman. I just wish there were more like you in the management end of the business. If there were, we would all enjoy terrestrial radio a whole lot more. You will land on your feet. The good ones always do.

rallen13,
I miss being at the ball park, and the many friends that I made over the years there. Baseball has always been my greatest love of all the sports, and I hope that showed through in my work. There are a lot of very talented people on the sidelines with me, and maybe some day most of us will get the chance to again show our love for the terrestrial radio business we still love. Thank you for listening.
TF

Tom I think I remember your first day! And I also remember Al's Formal Wear ;D
Class act all the way Tom, I hope someone in the market gets the good sense to give you a gig. I appreciate all you did for me as well. Now with all this time on your hands can I get you to the golf course?

You can, but the bigger question is can I find the golf course and will I know what to do once I get there? Showing my age because I totally missed the big KNUZ-KQUE reunion because I circled the wrong Friday on the calendar!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom