• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What happened to 560?

WNSR's AM signal used to be loud and clear in Wilson County, now you can barely hear it here. I have to rely on 107.9 which fights with Clarksville's "Q108" and 95.9 which fights with Cookeville's "Lite Rock 95.9". Did they have transmitter troubles? I'm surprised they haven't started have the translators lead the branding yet...

They're only 4500 watts daytime and 75 night...not surprising
Remember, 5 kw on 560 cover about as well as 200 kw on 1500. The issue here seems to be that a god signal has deteriorated; this is perhaps due to degradation of the ground system and poor transmitter maintenance.

According to radio-locator, they have a construct permit to use their night site for 1kw day omnidirectional. I guess they are going to sell their old directional 4 tower site which could be sizable considering the long wave length of a 560 station. Smaller electric bill, reduced maintenance, plus they get to sell the land. Triple win.

As long as they can legally "feed" the translator programming it doesn't matter.
No it doesn't, but the question was why the signal wasn't as good. Even 75 watts night at ~540 meters covers a decent chunk. With no ground system and emergency wire, the signal even at day power will be mediocre. Tennessee, for the most part, has very poor soil conductivity that is much worse than shown on M-3 maps.

Last edited:
No it doesn't, but the question was why the signal wasn't as good. Even 75 watts night at ~540 meters covers a decent chunk. With no ground system and emergency wire, the signal even at day power will be mediocre. Tennessee, for the most part, has very poor soil conductivity that is much worse than shown on M-3 maps.

\Most of the conductivity is not as good as the maps say, anywhere

Back
Top Bottom