• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What does the Missouri City sticks do at night?

Anyone know? I always wondered that, do they have the blinking strobe light or the red blinking light? I see from looking at them google satilite maps some are not painted red & white which means they would need a strobe blinking white all day correct? Thats what I hear if its not red & white then it needs a strobe blinking all day. Just wondered what they did at night. I know some radio towers blink the strobe durring the day then change to the red at night.
<P ID="signature">______________
jras20</P>

Just from observation, they have blinking strobes at night (maybe 5 or 6 lined up on each tower). It looks really impressive at night when they are all blinking together. You can see them clearly driving just about anywhere on the west and south parts of the Beltway facing MO City.

But someone else may have a better explanation as to why they do that...

JB

> Anyone know? I always wondered that, do they have the
> blinking strobe light or the red blinking light? I see from
> looking at them google satilite maps some are not painted
> red & white which means they would need a strobe blinking
> white all day correct? Thats what I hear if its not red &
> white then it needs a strobe blinking all day. Just
> wondered what they did at night. I know some radio towers
> blink the strobe durring the day then change to the red at
> night.
>

> But someone else may have a better explanation as to why
> they do that...

Generally, strobe=unpainted tower, red lights=painted tower.

A growing number of towers that had used incandescent lamps in the past are now using LEDs for their blinking lights. Rather odd to look at; a very sharp on/off, without the familiar "fade up, fade down."

Look, I know you have high hopes for dance music on the radio, but I think you're stretching things just a little too far with this one.

;)

I'm kidding, of course.

I wish MO City's were painted...

I find the slow blink red lights.... soothing.

WHAAAAAT??????
<P ID="signature">______________
I listen to what I like.
Ratings be Damned.</P>

> But someone else may have a better explanation as to why
> they do that...
>
> JB

IIRC, the FAA determines how the towers are lit based on the height of the tower.

Since there's no mountain to stick them on, the FM and TV towers here are very high and are strobe-lit.

I live about a mile and a half away. They don't change from night to day.<P ID="signature">______________
...co-moderator of the Satellite Radio, Phoenix, and San Diego boards...</P>

Re: I wish MO City's were painted...

> I find the slow blink red lights.... soothing.
>
>
>
> WHAAAAAT??????
>

Actually one of the towers in that group has the red lights now instead of the strobes.. I was wondering about that one myself. I drive the Fort Bend Tollroad daily right thru the middle of the towers and it has definitely been changed recently.

Trackman

> Since there's no mountain to stick them on, the FM and TV
> towers here are very high and are strobe-lit.
>
> I live about a mile and a half away. They don't change from
> night to day.

Actually they DO....the strobes change intensity from day to twilight to night...otherwise, the daytime setting would be causing shadows on the ground at your house! :) (sometimes they DO go bad....106.9's old tower in Conroe had a problem back years ago...the clouds and fog rolled in and a friend of mine in Cut and Shoot could walk around his yard at night and could see his shadow everywhere!)

The towers could be red lamped (as most of the Dallas's towers are) but they have the option to be strobed...towers below 600ft iirc can use medium intensity while those over that are required to use high intensity ones....this for aircraft safety....if they are adjusted right, the strobes should throw most of their light at the horizon...not the ground......earlier versions did NOT have that feature..

Strobing 24 hrs deletes the need to paint the tower....that is a BIG cost...and also paint adds weight....strobes use less electricity overall than red lamps..
(some strobes can be used to emulate red lamps at night....a red filter is dropped in place and a longer burn time on the strobe makes it look red...but you can easily tell from the ground...a REAL lamp slowly comes on and goes off...a strobe doing red is instant on/off!)

I have seen Austin's towers over at Westlake hills I think most of them just blink it night. Looks pretty neat from a distance.<P ID="signature">______________
jras20</P>

Pleez lern yerself how to spell and write good. Quit worrying about what towers do at night and take some night classes in English.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom