• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGN Programming Changes: Turi Ryder Gone, More to Come...

I really hope WGN will not be turning into a mostly sports station. I read that's what they were leaning toward a few months ago. Not everyone is a sports fan. WSCR and WMVP have that covered,WLS talks sports for an hour in the afternoon and WGN is quite sports oriented as well.

I enjoyed her show. General interest shows are becoming few and far between. It's all right wing politics with Rush and Sean, Supernatural programming with George Norry and all sports in between.

I enjoy the program that follows Turi on WGN. I'd much rather hear a show like that and Jon Grayson who does a good overnight show,as well.

Station management is "taking the station in a different direction". Really? Every few weeks or months they try to "take the station in a different direction". One gets the impression that WGN management has no idea what to do with the station. They're just continually fiddling around with everything. WGN is the only general interest station left in Chicago. I wish they would stop fooling around and give things a chance to work.

benale said:
I really hope WGN will not be turning into a mostly sports station. I read that's what they were leaning toward a few months ago. Not everyone is a sports fan. WSCR and WMVP have that covered,WLS talks sports for an hour in the afternoon and WGN is quite sports oriented as well.

I enjoyed her show. General interest shows are becoming few and far between. It's all right wing politics with Rush and Sean, Supernatural programming with George Norry and all sports in between.

I enjoy the program that follows Turi on WGN. I'd much rather hear a show like that and Jon Grayson who does a good overnight show,as well.
Actually, WLS talks sports for quite a few hours in the afternoon, save for the politics with John and Lauren during the mid morning timeslot.

BTW, Larz is wrong by assuming WGN will turn to sports. Because the current sport program sucks, I do not think of a format flp.

McConnell needs to only have the mid morning slot an not th afternoon. Carol Roth sucks (not to be sexist) and needs to be replaced immediately. She is not a radio person and was hired for no apparent reason. One of their weekend people should fill in the weekday gaps.

THIS JUST IN: WGN will be going all-sports in the evenings. David Kaplan will be hosting the nightly sports show with Mark Carman and Jordan Bernfield. Time will be 7 p.m.-Midnight.

WGN will now have five hours of sports programming weekdays. KMOX does this in St. Louis; after 6:00, they flip to sports shows. Will be easier for fans of sports teams so they can listen to sports talk after the game. The old show was pre-empted so much that they never really got to talk about much.

It makes sense with all of the local sports they carry... maybe they can pull some listeners away from the others. However, it's of no interest to me. Will have to stick to the FM dial, I guess.

Posted this afternoon on the WGN Sports Night Facebook page, from Brian Noonan:
"Sports Night is no longer part of the WGN Radio schedule. Starting Monday you can hear "The David Kaplan Show" from 7p-12a. Thank you for your support and for listening for the last 2.5 years. It was a lot of fun being part of the grand experiment, but change is the only constant in life and change has come. Speaking for myself, it was quite an adventure. The thrill of meeting new people, working with my partners and deepening my appreciation for sports in general and Chicago sports in particular are things I will never forget. Enjoy Kap's new show and enjoy Andrea and I in our new rolls at "The G". Thanks again for your support and for listening to our "sports talk & silliness". -Brian"

I always enjoyed Sports Night, and Sports Central, when I was able to listen. That said, I like Kap, and it's pretty impressive how his star has shot through the roof the past several years with his WGN and CSN roles.

My question about the new sports show is whether or not WGN will be able to cover an important evening event such as a presidential speech? Milt always had a discussion in place, especially last year after the debates and on election night. I do enjoy Kap none the less, and found that he was the only hope for "sports" on the previous show.

Five years ago (2008), they changed everything around. Now (2013), they're changing things around again. Taking a look at competition, it's not much better. Cochran just left WIND, and it will now be a right-wing hacking outlet with Walsh in the afternoon. WLS has fallen off the face of the earth. What's left for the future of talk radio in Chicago?

The whole WGN going to a sports was only reported by Larz I saw no mention of this anywhere else.

To the folks that place links to the chicagoland radio website do you believe Larz? He seems to be wrong a lot why not place a link to robert Feeder or the Chicago media chat website.

Larz seems to say things and they are not correct. That new look of his site is hard to manuever and bogged down with advertising, it is not enjoyable to look at.

I find myself reading the Chicago Media website more than the Chicagoland radio website. They put up Feeders tweats and facebook in addition to an easier layout. Quoting the Chicagoland radio site is not good to me. I see very little credibility there if you gave Chicago media chat a read and see the games played by Larz. He is not a reliable person to me.

Going back to Nashville said:
The whole WGN going to a sports was only reported by Larz I saw no mention of this anywhere else.

To the folks that place links to the chicagoland radio website do you believe Larz? He seems to be wrong a lot why not place a link to robert Feeder or the Chicago media chat website.

Larz seems to say things and they are not correct. That new look of his site is hard to manuever and bogged down with advertising, it is not enjoyable to look at.

I find myself reading the Chicago Media website more than the Chicagoland radio website. They put up Feeders tweats and facebook in addition to an easier layout. Quoting the Chicagoland radio site is not good to me. I see very little credibility there if you gave Chicago media chat a read and see the games played by Larz. He is not a reliable person to me.
Going back to Nashville (Spike?), I always check somewhere else because I too find discrepancies in his reporting. He also has a tendency to chime in on his personal opinions too many times which I do not care for.

WGN lost a great deal of programming and personalities over the past five years, but I would never speculate on a programming change. They are still the third-best station in the city.

Re: WGN Programming Changes: SIROTT & MURCIANO JOIN WGN RADIO AS WEEKDAY HOSTS

From Robert Feder - Bob Sirott + Marianne Murciano to move to weekday show on WGN - time TBD.
They currently host a Sunday evening program on the station.

Story here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=592709244084858&id=175146445841142

and here: http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/84216/wgn-continues-revamp-with-addition-of-bob-sirott-marianne-murciano/ (includes Sirott's + Murciano's broadcast history)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom