• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wgmd

Its audio processing gives me a headache, and Mari Lou's voice I find grating, rendering her (lame) humor in her autobio on 'GMD's website hollow. Shoulda stayed at OC104, Mari Lou.

ixnay

I think it's unfair to label Gaffney as a "conservative talker". He's certainly conservative, but his show is almost 90% local stuff, 10% general interest call generating stuff. Calling him "conservative" would mislead people into thinking he's a clone of a national host in some way.

I haven't listened to his show since his WGMD days, when Christine O'Donnell got the nomination, he was in her camp. Can't get much more right wing than that. He is a conservative.

Now what he's doing today on WXDE, maybe the station had him tone down the right wing stuff, but he had a pretty big following in Lower Delaware as a right wing TEA party type guy. Sure, just like Rick Jensen does on Wilmington's WDEL, Rick will discuss local stuff too, but when he get political, he's a TEA party person. WDEL's liberal host, Al Messitti, also discusses other stuff, besides politics, but when he does, he's definitely a Democrat and a liberal. So Delmarva Broadcasting may be trying to get their talk hosts to not be just political talkers, but may want them to broaden their scope to appeal to other listeners. That may be what you're hearing from today's Dan Gaffney's broadcasts on WXDE..

I haven't listened to his show since his WGMD days, when Christine O'Donnell got the nomination, he was in her camp. Can't get much more right wing than that. He is a conservative.

Now what he's doing today on WXDE, maybe the station had him tone down the right wing stuff, but he had a pretty big following in Lower Delaware as a right wing TEA party type guy. Sure, just like Rick Jensen does on Wilmington's WDEL, Rick will discuss local stuff too, but when he get political, he's a TEA party person. WDEL's liberal host, Al Messitti, also discusses other stuff, besides politics, but when he does, he's definitely a Democrat and a liberal. So Delmarva Broadcasting may be trying to get their talk hosts to not be just political talkers, but may want them to broaden their scope to appeal to other listeners. That may be what you're hearing from today's Dan Gaffney's broadcasts on WXDE..

I haven't heard him on WXDE. But my point was that he's conservative but he's more than a "conservative talk host". If anything he's the kind of host people in this forum cry about there being a lack of. Hyper local.

And as far as O'Donnell is concerned, I'm pretty sure her camp went after him pretty hard for doing a fair interview instead of just lobbing softballs.

And I'm pretty sure he got to write his own check, so to speak, on the new station when it comes to content. From my understanding, that's one of the problems he had with ownership at WGMD. I doubt Delmarva is telling him how to do his show.

Obviously, neither of us are insiders at Delmarva Broadcasting. But it is interesting that all three Delmarva local talkers ARE very political and have no trouble expressing those views [two right wingers and one left winger], but all three also discuss other things besides national politics. So it is possible that Delmarva has encouraged all three to do just that as a way to better reach more listeners. It may not be a mandate, but it may well be expected. Frankly I believe its a good idea.

It was a big step a number of years ago when WDEL dropped Rush and Hannity and went totally live and local for the weekday hours from 5:30 am AM drive to 7pm. Certainly a serious investment in employees salaries, benefits, etc, when most AM talkers were going the other way, to an automated computer in the closet ALL satellite all the time, other than local news headlines, weather, traffic recorded earlier by an FM jock. So I can imagine that WDEL's management did want their talkers to be more than Rush wannabes.

The big plus about live and LOCAL is the local part. With Rush or Randi Rhodes [to put a lib in the mix too] you only hear national political talk. Plus if you want to call in and be a part of the show you'll hang on the phone quite often for more than an hour, before elRushbo graces you with 15 seconds to make your point before he talks over you to regain control of the thought. Both Rick and Al on WDEL take plenty of calls. Some callers are boring, some Al gives too much time to [I usually change stations when certain people who are regulars call Al's show because I already know what they're going to say since they say pretty much the same thing each time they call], but they do bring that local flavor to the discussion. That is the downside to taking too many calls too many of the same folks over and over. Those who like hearing local stuff plus the national stuff listen to WDEL. Those who only want national stuff from a conservative point a view tune in to WILM. Others who want a totally different approach in talk, news, and information tune in to NPR via WHYY-FM upstate or WDDE downstate. WBAL in Baltimore did a similar thing as WDEL around the same time. Both seem to have done well.

Something else to consider is that WDEL competes for the Spoken Word radio audience with a bunch of radio stations that all come in clearly in the Wilmington area such as: 1450 WILM, 990 WNTP, 1210 WPHT, and 90.9 WHYY-FM plus the various Sports/Talk stations in the market: [1290 WWTX -Fox Sports Radio, 610 WIP -CBS Sports Radio, 94.1 WIP-FM Philly-centric sports talk, 97.3 WENJ- EPSN radio, and 97.5 WPEN - Philly-centric sports talk]. That's a lot of talk choices. So the idea of WDEL's talkers not talking politics ONLY, but local issues, plus other topical stuff such as Friday's on Al's show is the Entertainment World discussion, Thursday on Rick's show is his Thirsty Thursday show where he discusses beer and I believe soda, and his Weasel of the Week on Friday. Both have done their shows from Legislative Hall in Dover during an important time to cover the local political scene, etc. The idea is they aren't just talking national politics. This to me makes even more sense given the large selection of Spoken Word format stations heard in the Wilmington Metro Area.

I'm not that familiar with the competition WXDE faces other the WDDE and WGMD, but my guess is Dan has been asked to add other local topics besides just the national stuff for the same reason, so he's not just a Rush wannabe, and he's offering his listeners more than just a Rush like rant.

MFD: Slight correction. WDEL didn't drop Rush and Hannity. They were dropped when Clear Channel bought WILM. Clear Channel owns Premiere Radio and took back those shows. WBAL made the decision to drop the syndicated talkers. WDEL had the decision made for them.

Sports talk is not really competition for right-wing talk. Different format. Different audience. Spoken word is not a format, any more than music is a format. And the Philadelphia right-wing talk stations really don't put a good enough signal into NCC to be much of a factor. An FM right-wing talker in Philly, that would be another matter. WILM's former program director, Fatso, claims he dropped Rush because of cost. The underlying reason is when WWDB picked up Rush, most of his audience via WILM evaporated.

WDEL doing well? How's that? Their shares are about half what they were a few years ago. And when THEY had Rush and Hannity, their shares were typically half again as large (or more) as WILM.

And you like local calls? The same people, droning on about the same stuff, day after day. Hosts too desperate to cut them off and unable to be selective about whom they take? Talk radio is show biz and bad callers can kill the act. Rush and the rest, can be selective. They can pre-screen (audition) callers. They can cut them off before they drive away listeners. And, if necessary, they can pay shills to act as callers. Talk radio is not some form of therapy for the usual suspects of Wilmington radio. Callers are the one percent. The program is done to entertain (or enrage) everybody else.

Delmarva/Steinmann is a coal mining company, with a history of right-wing activism in its various properties (going back to the German-American Bund) and before. They are just less blatant about it than Rush. You have, for example, Fatso Loudell sneaking in religious right talking points and calling it news.

Fred, you're correct. Premiere Radio probably didn't renew Rush's contract on WDEL so their station, WILM, could air Rush. If I remember correctly, at that time Hannity was still an ABC syndicated program WABC was the flag ship, now I believe WOR is his flagship and the show is distributed by someone else, forget who it is though. They demanded that if WDEL wanted to keep Hannity they had to also air Mark Levin. WDEL said no thank you. So we're both correct. CC pulled Rush from WDEL, but WDEL dropped Hannity rather than be forced to probably pay to air a show they didn't want. I've heard Mark Levin's show, talk about an irritating voice.

I understand that the Spoken Word "format" isn't a format, but there are listeners who only listen to spoken word programming on the radio, just as there are others who only listen to music on the radio.

I believe that I'm not the only listener of spoken word formats on the radio that listen to more than one type. I believe that the reason WDEL/WILM's numbers are smaller than they used to be is some of those listeners have drifted to other spoken word stations. It would be great to get to see the book to know, but that's not an option, so this is my guess.

My guess is, some may have migrated to 90.9 WHYY's NPR spoken word programming. There may be some others who are so tired of any thing remotely political [liberal or conservative] they've tried and found they like Sports/Talk. During the work day, I'm one who listens to NPR via WHYY or online to WDDE for On Point; Sports/Talk usually on 1290 Fox Sports Radio or 97.5 WPEN, and WDEL for local news/weather/traffic, and Allan's midday interviews and Dave Ross' commentary.

Sometimes I check out Al Missetti's show, but do that far less often than I used to do as his anti-Christianity rants are a turn off for me, a Lutheran, and frankly offend me. I've often wondered if he were spouting anti-Jewish, anti-Muslim, anti-Mormon, or anti-Mother Earth new age stuff about those faiths would that be allowed. In my opinion, it is not a smart thing for a talk show host to bash anyone's faith. I guess Al pictures himself as the local Bill Maher. That to me is over the line and probably has cost Al and WDEL some listeners besides me from 9 am - 12 noon. No wonder WDEL airs a disclaimer saying the comments heard do not reflect the views of the management or sponsors of WDEL, etc, etc. But then on the other hand, I'm 63 and WDEL's advertisers probably don't really care if I'm listening, but maybe Al's bashing the Christian faith pulls in some younger demos who hit the wrong button on their radio and found the AM dial or listen to him online. You never know.

I agree with you that sadly the local callers to Al's show [and I guess to Rick's show but don't listen so I don't know], are usually the same folks and they usually say the same long winded stuff, and yes Al lets them ramble on and on. When I used to listen, there were some callers as soon as he said our next caller is so and so, I changed the station to avoid having to sit through the next 10 minute segment of their nonsense. In fact I tried tuning the the other day, just to see what Al was talking about, it had been a few weeks, and as I turned on WDEL Al said our next caller is so and so. I didn't stay, but went to WHYY.

Once in a while I'll swing by WILM, but a little bit of the daily ultra right wing rant from Rush/Beck/Hannity gets old quickly. Elliot in the morning isn't that good either, so either NPR's ME or WDEL's News with Peter McArthur.

The only music station I have preset on my car radio is WRTI 107.7 Wilmington translator for their Classical Music and their Jazz.

On a different topic. Mr. Moderator: One thing about this site I totally dislike is if you take too long to type your comments you have to go and re log in. I've never seen that any where else, not very user friendly.

Some people only listen to spoken word. But don't assume that people who listen to sports talk will also listen to right-wing talk. Or that people who listen to right-wing talk will also listen to sports. While there is some over-lap, mostly these are two different audience groups. And don't assume that people who listen to right-wing talk will also listen to public radio talk or progressive talk.

Just like you wouldn't assume that people who listen to classical also listen to country.

Maybe you haven't noticed, that right-wing talk hosts often engage in anti-Muslim rants - but not as often (and not as hateful) as religious broadcasters. (Christians should take care of the beam in their own eyes.) I don't know exactly what Mascetti said to upset you but I have seen Christians who call legitimate criticism of some Christians' actions or options, "anti-Christian." The Inquirer ran a story the other day about a Lutheran pastor who spied for Hitler and aided saboteurs: Was that anti-Christian? And how about all those references in the Gospels to Jesus "bashing" other Jews (yes, Jesus was Jewish). Was Jesus anti-Semitic or just a self-loathing Jew?

The worst example of a talk show taking calls from the usual suspects day after day was Watson.

The worst example of a talk show taking calls from the usual suspects day after day was Watson.

I can think of worse, but that's for another day.

The whole "caller rich" talk format is being pushed by certain consultants right now. My theory is they push it on PDs and hosts to make stations that have low ratings sound like they're popular. The problem is this: since it IS the same callers every day, it gets stale fast. The whole "topic-callers-new topic" format is a crutch for lazy hosts that are afraid of having their own opinions.

The only anti-Muslim stuff I ever hear is talking about the terrorists who are Muslim, not about their faith, religion, or their god.

As I said, I don't believe any talk show should be bashing anyone's faith or religion. So rather than put up with Al's attempt to be Bill Maher [whom I also don't listen to for the same reason], I choose to listen elsewhere. There are probably others also who do the same. Especially for a local yokel talk show, seems not smart to insult a major segment of your audience. There are a large segment of the Wilmington area that are Catholics and United Methodists [#1 and #2 faiths practiced in Delaware].

But, to mock anyone's faith, or for that matter anyone's lack of faith on a talk show just seems wrong to me. Faith and beliefs are very personal and deeply held. Seems like a thing someone locally trying to build an audience would avoid.

Raven: Worst in the market. I haven't listened to everybody, everywhere.

MikefromDelaware: Again, what exactly did Mascitti said that you find so intolerant.

One person's terrorist is another person's patriot. Right-wing hosts and preachers attack (for example) Palestinians not as "terrorists" but as Islamic or Muslim terrorists. You didn't give any examples of what Mascitti said but I wouldn't be surprised if he attached the label "Christian" to some group with which he disagrees in much the same way. Those who justify their opinions or actions using religion, have no right to complain when they are branded by their religion.

People who profess their own faith most loudly, insistently and frequently are usually the least tolerant of the differing beliefs of others.

Fred, what he has said a number of times [paraphrasing] how can people be so stupid or gullible to believe the stuff the Bible says about Jesus, etc, etc. So he's not saying something about the terrible stuff the Westboro Baptists do or something like that, but about actual belief. That to me is over the line. I may not agree with the folks who worship Mother Earth, but I'd not want Al or any other talk show host bashing those folks for their beliefs. Interestingly, Al also claims to go to an Episcopal church [probably to make his wife happy he doesn't say]. So why would you go to a Christian church if you don't believe in the Christian God, Jesus ?

Your comment : "People who profess their own faith most loudly, insistently and frequently are usually the least tolerant of the differing beliefs of others", works both ways. Not having a faith also is a form of faith, so it can also be said that people who profess their lack of faith most loudly, insistently and frequently are also usually the least tolerant of those who do have some sort of belief.

Faith and Religious beliefs, just as no faith and no religious beliefs, or an Atheist view point, all are very personal and deep seated in a person, where either will be out spoken against the other. Believers aren't alone in that attitude. I'm not saying its right, but its not right for either is my point. I find you'll condemn a outspoken Christian very easily, but I don't remember you ever condemning a Bill Maher type for his/her lack of tolerance. Like it or not, it does work both ways.

I'll give you the final reply, because I don't want this to become some heated "religious" discussion. I answered your question, and I'll give you the final word.

Fred, what he has said a number of times [paraphrasing] how can people be so stupid or gullible to believe the stuff the Bible says about Jesus, etc, etc. So he's not saying something about the terrible stuff the Westboro Baptists do or something like that, but about actual belief. That to me is over the line. I may not agree with the folks who worship Mother Earth, but I'd not want Al or any other talk show host bashing those folks for their beliefs. Interestingly, Al also claims to go to an Episcopal church [probably to make his wife happy he doesn't say]. So why would you go to a Christian church if you don't believe in the Christian God, Jesus ?

Your comment : "People who profess their own faith most loudly, insistently and frequently are usually the least tolerant of the differing beliefs of others", works both ways. Not having a faith also is a form of faith, so it can also be said that people who profess their lack of faith most loudly, insistently and frequently are also usually the least tolerant of those who do have some sort of belief.

Faith and Religious beliefs, just as no faith and no religious beliefs, or an Atheist view point, all are very personal and deep seated in a person, where either will be out spoken against the other. Believers aren't alone in that attitude. I'm not saying its right, but its not right for either is my point. I find you'll condemn a outspoken Christian very easily, but I don't remember you ever condemning a Bill Maher type for his/her lack of tolerance. Like it or not, it does work both ways.

I'll give you the final reply, because I don't want this to become some heated "religious" discussion. I answered your question, and I'll give you the final word.

Sounds like you are expected a "heat religious discussion." Sorry! I'll just remind you that Christianity comes in more flavors than Baskin-Robbins ice cream and most of them claim they are the "one, true" version. Many Episcopalians (and others) do not take the Bible literally or regard it as inerrant.

I don't watch Bill Maher, so I'm not in a position to "condemn" him. But once anyone brings their "faith" into the public sphere and into discussions of public issues, they are asking for disagreement and criticism. Anybody not comfortable with that should follow Jesus' advice and keep their "faith" in the closet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom