• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFME -94.7FM Transmitter

I know another WFME thread was about the sale from Family Radio Inc. Lets talk if WFME able to move closer to Manhattan, how would make WFME move to ESB from New Jersey? Z100 did it before.

Guess you didn't thoroughly read through the most recent thread on WFME or the other threads over the years addressing this situation.

Just because Z100 (formerly WVNJ-FM) did this in 1983 doesn't mean it can be done with the 94.7 frequency at this time.
Different set of signals and spacing in different communities to deal with.

There's a very good reason that 94.7 sold for an (alleged) $40 million and 98.7 and 101.9 just sold for roughly $75 million apiece.

See Scott Fybush's post below.

http://radiodiscussions.com/smf/index.php?topic=221457.msg1991788#msg1991788

Scott Fybush
« Reply #37 on: Today (10/16/12) at 01:47:02 PM »
================================================

Once more, with feeling:

WMAS-FM is not the biggest obstacle to moving 94.7 into Manhattan. WWSK 94.3 on Long Island is. Unlike some of the other second-adjacent situations that have lent themselves to move-ins (93.1/93.5/93.9, 96.3/96.7/97.1, 103.5/103.9/104.3), the Newark and Smithtown signals were fully spaced in 1964, and thus are not grandfathered and must continue to obey current spacing rules. And there's not much (if any) wiggle room to move 94.3 out of the picture - it's already short-spaced to WYBC-FM, among others.

There's also a huge obstacle to downgrading WMAS-FM, and that's the COL change to Enfield a few years back. Any downgrade to WMAS-FM must still put a 70 dBu signal over Enfield, and that means (a) a less-than-optimum signal over the core of the Springfield market and (b) moving the transmitter site south from downtown Springfield, which is exactly the direction you don't want to be moving if you're hoping to open up space for WFME.
================================================
All kinds of good stuff over at http://www.fybush.com

There is another thread where this question was beat to death a month or two ago. Every single possibility was considered along side all of the short spacing and adjacent channels. The answer was no for every possibility. There is something about an experiment with another tower beside the existing tower, but that is about it.

luperm said:
They can't. Next question?

Sure I will, and it has to do with the condition of the transmitter at its current site. I've heard that FR was doing work on it in preparation for the sale but don't know for sure. Still, I don't think much attention has been put on those facilities since, well, FR primary concern is religion and not engineering.

When Cumulus takes over the station how much would they have to spend to upgrade it to standard?

BarryATL said:
There is another thread where this question was beat to death a month or two ago. Every single possibility was considered along side all of the short spacing and adjacent channels. The answer was no for every possibility. There is something about an experiment with another tower beside the existing tower, but that is about it.

Correct. WFME has few options as to where they can go. As for the STA to test from the adjacent tower, they have applied for a license to cover. Their antenna was moved from the original WFME short tower to the taller (Warner) tower right next to it. Family claimed that the taller tower impaired WFME's signal due to its proximity to the original antenna. The new antenna is slightly higher, and as a result, WFME had to power down to maintain its contours. The new WFME antenna is using the aperture vacated by the former 96.3 backup antenna. I suspect this was done so that WFME could dispose of its facility in West Orange separately from the broadcast license, thus making it a more attractive aquisition.

WFME is what it is. I don't think you can make it any bigger or better. Maybe a newer, more efficient transmitter, but the coverage won't materially change.

e-dawg said:
Would it be possible Cumulus persuade other stations to relocate ($$$) to move to ESB?

Unlikely. The facility is what it is.

Look for Cumulus to attempt to persuade WBAI to swap with some cash and the 94.7 signal. Now, they (Cumulus) has leverage with another signal to offer them. The rent and expenses are a LOT lower for WFME. Cumulus gets 99.5, the nutcases at WBAI stay on the air and lower their expenses.

WNTIRadio said:
Look for Cumulus to attempt to persuade WBAI to swap with some cash and the 94.7 signal. Now, they (Cumulus) has leverage with another signal to offer them. The rent and expenses are a LOT lower for WFME. Cumulus gets 99.5, the nutcases at WBAI stay on the air and lower their expenses.
If it wasn't for coownership with WMAS, I would think your suggestion would be the most plausible. I tend to think Cumulus would want to maximize the effectiveness of both 94.7 facilities unless they lease WFME to Pacifica as part of a purchase of 99.5, and then foreclose when they default since they have problems paying rent at Empire as it is.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

We've been around this track 1,000 times. WMAS isn't the only obstacle to WFME moving to Empire, or any other site in NYC. 94.3 on Long Island is just as big of a roadblock, and it isn't co-owned. It also can't move anywhere due to short spacing to New Haven and NJ.

WFME is stuck where it is. And the signal isn't half bad where it is, either. The best they could do is go even higher and lower the ERP to get over more of the mountains and the city to the east. But I doubt that's going to happen with Newark Airport being so close. Last year, Family Radio moved the antenna to a neighboring tower and went 100 feet higher.

What if 94.3 New Haven moves 20 miles northeast to West Peak, then 94.3 Long Island moves 20 miles east to Bald Hill? Then could 94.7 move to Empire? Or could 94.3 Long Island downgrade its power to allow 94.7 to move east?

How about: work with what they have and get some good business by superserving the northern NJ areas where the signal covers.

Yeah, I think that'd be my first option. Why? Because it almost guarantees that the station won't be another urban/female-leaning/talk/chr station. At least I'd have a chance at listening to one of the "forgotten" formats that corporate type think are "unworthy". If that means a somewhat degraded signal in the city so be it. Better than having to stream in distant or out-of-area stations.

stationless listener said:
Better than having to stream in distant or out-of-area stations.
Why? What is wrong with that, I do it all the time.

WNTIRadio said:
We've been around this track 1,000 times. WMAS isn't the only obstacle to WFME moving to Empire, or any other site in NYC. 94.3 on Long Island is just as big of a roadblock, and it isn't co-owned. It also can't move anywhere due to short spacing to New Haven and NJ.

WFME is stuck where it is. And the signal isn't half bad where it is, either. The best they could do is go even higher and lower the ERP to get over more of the mountains and the city to the east. But I doubt that's going to happen with Newark Airport being so close. Last year, Family Radio moved the antenna to a neighboring tower and went 100 feet higher.
Let me clarify and expand.

Take this scenario:

If Cumulus makes a deal for 99.5 (after the purchase is complete for 94.7) and then leases the 94.7 to Pacifica in return. Cash could (and probably would) be involved as well.
Pacifica won't have to worry about $500k/year for Empire rent and Cumulus gets an Empire signal.

In this case, the move for 94.7 to Empire would be irrelevant and unnecessary. 99.5 is already there.

Then wait for something to happen to Smithtown.

94.3 could always be deflowered and reclassified to translator status, eventually.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

94.3 could always be deflowered and reclassified to translator status, eventually.

No, it can't. An allocation on the FM table cannot be deleted. Even if the 94.3 license was turned in, the allocation still exists and would have to be protected. It's different from the AM band where a license can be deleted and that "space" opened up to other stations.

Nick said:
What if 94.3 New Haven moves 20 miles northeast to West Peak, then 94.3 Long Island moves 20 miles east to Bald Hill? Then could 94.7 move to Empire? Or could 94.3 Long Island downgrade its power to allow 94.7 to move east?

Way too complicated. Plus, WYBC is a New Haven station serving the urban community. If their signal moved to Meriden it would be extremely weak in New Haven.

Any reason they couldn't put up a booster in Manhattan?

I suppose it wouldn't do much good for LI or Westchester coverage but I would think it would address any issues in the city itself. Or would the self-interference zone be the issue? (I suppose that would fall in a rather heavily populated area...)

Is there any chance of moving WFME to 94.9? I'm sure that opens a whole 'nother can of worms, but I'm not sure if it is possible.

ansky212 said:
Mike D said:
Is there any chance of moving WFME to 94.9? I'm sure that opens a whole 'nother can of worms, but I'm not sure if it is possible.

Not possible because of WRKI 95.1 in Danbury.

Not to mention WPLJ. (And no, Cumulus can't grant itself a waiver.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom