• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFLZ Signal

B

bat manny

I live in Miami

Thats stations signal is a -monster- :eek:, i picked up WFLZ clearly just 55 miles out of miami today at 12 noon driving towards naples on alligator alley. It was nice to hear them again, i havent heard FLZ on the radio for years. Though 933 today is nothing like the "Power Pig" i remember... but it was cool they still have that saturday night party thing going on.

just thought id share ;) , Power 93 was is one of my favorite stations of all time

Tonight on they way back the station faded out on i-75 driving into broward county, miami's 93.1 blots them out

Many of the Tampa stations have monster signals. They come in like locals in much of Orlando.

Miami's signals are decent too. I often pick 93.1 and 91.3 up on I-4 in Orange Co.

Radio-X

I remember, when I worked weekends at The Point 102.5 (about 9 years ago now), I could pick up the station in Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Bay (Brevard County). I also remember hearing the Power Pig with a very strong signal in Okeechobee. When I left Tampa for Australia in February of 2000, I "smuggled" a small portable radio on board and ironically, the last Tampa station I was able to hear was Wild 98.7. (I remember being able to listen to the radio until past Nashville, at which point a stewardess saw what I was doing and asked me to shut it off, ironic since the radio was made for use on airplanes and I bought it at TIA's duty-free shop).

bat manny said:
I live in Miami

Thats stations signal is a -monster- :eek:, i picked up WFLZ clearly just 55 miles out of miami today at 12 noon driving towards naples on alligator alley. It was nice to hear them again, i havent heard FLZ on the radio for years. Though 933 today is nothing like the "Power Pig" i remember... but it was cool they still have that saturday night party thing going on.

just thought id share ;) , Power 93 was is one of my favorite stations of all time

Tonight on they way back the station faded out on i-75 driving into broward county, miami's 93.1 blots them out

FLZ has a class C signal that spins just the right way so that it has a nice pathway across the everglades right into Dade county at the edge of the glades. At certain times of the night, the locals in places like Kendall and Homestead can hear it.

i think the station covers the whole state of FL, during the power 93 years 90-94 i did alot of travelling allover Florida, i would pick up the station at nights from key west to south of jacksonville, ahhh the good old power pig days :)

dx'ing is one of my passtimes even though on my little corner of the state, not much reaches over here except for some of the north key largo stations and west palm beach bleeders.

Unless they've been booted by DTV since I lived down there, WFLZ was co-located on the WFLA-TV 8 stick at Riverview. A full 100kW at around 1,500 feet. At the time (early 90s), it was the only FM station on that tower and thus had the largest coverage of any Tampa Bay FM.

Back before 93.3 came online in Jacksonville, WFLZ could be heard to Gainesville, Lake City, and beyond. Even a slight band opening would take it into southern Georgia!

livingfruitvirus said:
Another real bitch of a signal is WTKS-FM. I've heard it in parts of South Florida and into the panhandle.

Yes..this is true. When I went to Fort Lauderdale last month, I listened to them starting from my house near Disney all the way down to Jupiter...perfect signal

Radio-X

WTKS does have a great signal but gets cut off at around Gainesville by WGUL/104.1 in Tallahassee.

The Bithlo FMs used to make it to the northern counties of Florida, but all are now blocked either partially or completely by new co-channel or first-adjacent stations which have come on during the past decade.

It also could be IBOC HD digital garbage on the adjacent fregs causing the problem

While driving north on I-95 just north of Camden County, GA, on a boom box on the passenger seat, I got a great lock on WBJW 105.1 back in the late summer of 1982. At the time I had been a regular listener of the station staying in Orlando... I thought it was pretty impressive, I don't think the present co-channel stations in S.E. GA were on at the time. Generally flat land, FM antennae mounted a thousand feet or so high... it's a beautiful thing.

As regular posters in this forum know, the signal of Polk County's WPCV 97.5 is nothing to sneeze at, either -- on a recent trip to St. Augustine, I was able to tune WPCV as far north as Jacksonville. When I first heard the station in St. Augustine, I thought it was another country station in north Florida or Georgia -- I was listening to CDs, and heard the station when I changed CDs. Later that trip, when I was north of Jacksonville near the Georgia border, the mystery station was gone. Later on, back in St. Augustine (west of town on SR 16), I knew it was WPCV when the DJ made a plug for Bartow Ford.

The only place that I couldn't tune WPCV in my trip within WPCV's radius was in Alachua County, where adjacent channel WSKY 97.3 blocked WPCV out.

WPCV has a nearly perfect signal in Orlando. It is also clear in much of the Tampa Bay area. Why doesn't the station market itself towards these MUCH larger markets?

livingfruitvirus said:
FLZ has a class C signal that spins just the right way so that it has a nice pathway across the everglades right into Dade county at the edge of the glades. At certain times of the night, the locals in places like Kendall and Homestead can hear it.

Homestead Florida checking in ... some 200 miles as the crow files and nearly 300 miles by road from the WFLZ stick, and YES - I can pick-up 93.3-FLZ at times in my car early in the morning just before dawn. Tampa's 100.7 FM even comes in occasionally totally blowing away our own Y-100 here in South Florida.

THE MAJOR

ScottBurns said:
WPCV has a nearly perfect signal in Orlando. It is also clear in much of the Tampa Bay area. Why doesn't the station market itself towards these MUCH larger markets?

The reason is simple: It doesn't need to. Polk County has a population of over a half million people, and "97 Country" is the ONLY dominant station that specifically serves that area. For many years it has enjoyed truly remarkable ratings numbers for a market of it's size; why risk losing that to chase the country kings in either the Tampa/St. Petersburg or Orlando market.

Owner Hall Communications has been very loyal to it's home market, and that loyalty has been returned in kind.

Point well taken regarding WPCV, but wouldn't the station make more money through billing/advertising if it could sell time at Orlando rates?

CentralFloridaEagle said:
The reason is simple: It doesn't need to. Polk County has a population of over a half million people, and "97 Country" is the ONLY dominant station that specifically serves that area. For many years it has enjoyed truly remarkable ratings numbers for a market of it's size; why risk losing that to chase the country kings in either the Tampa/St. Petersburg or Orlando market.

Owner Hall Communications has been very loyal to it's home market, and that loyalty has been returned in kind.

What about WTKS-FM though? It has a massive signal, it's licensed to Cocoa Beach, and its stick is in Bithlo. However, it decided to target Orlando.

livingfruitvirus said:
What about WTKS-FM though? It has a massive signal, it's licensed to Cocoa Beach, and its stick is in Bithlo. However, it decided to target Orlando.

Don't most Orlando-area FM and TV stations have their transmitters at Bithlo, which I don't think is too far east from Orlando?

ScottBurns said:
Point well taken regarding WPCV, but wouldn't the station make more money through billing/advertising if it could sell time at Orlando rates?

I'm sure they could, but would you rather be the number two or three country outlet in TSP or ORL or king of the hill in your own decent sized market? My belief is they wouldn't make a great deal more with such a tradeoff.

And, IMHO the Lakeland/Winter Haven market (Polk County) is actually underserved. There are only two FM stations that specifically serve Polk County, WPCV and it's sister station WWRZ 98.3 ("Max 98.3", licensed to Fort Meade...formerly known as "The Rose"). The only other FM licensed to Polk is CBS Radio's WSJT "Smooth Jazz 94.1", licensed to Lakeland...but if it doesn't happen in Hillsborough or Pinellas, you won't hear it there.

By the way, while doing some research for this post, I came across a nice, humorous Virtual Tour of the Hall Communications building in downtown Lakeland from their Web site. It's interesting to check out at http://www.halllakeland.com/NewTour/TourEnter.htm

CentralFloridaEagle said:
The only other FM licensed to Polk is CBS Radio's WSJT "Smooth Jazz 94.1", licensed to Lakeland...but if it doesn't happen in Hillsborough or Pinellas, you won't hear it there.

What about the religious stations? WKES 91.1's licensed in Lakeland (with studios there), but it seems to be more geared towards Tampa Bay (as well as Orlando and, via repeaters, Ocala and Southwest Florida). There's also Joy FM's repeaters in Lakeland and Winter Haven, but how well do they cover these communities informationwise?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom