• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WENO Sold

Thanks for correcting me. YoCo was not the Ashland City station. The White Bluff station had been owned for many years by a couple that ran a Southern Gospel format on the station. I recall they built their home onto the station (starting at the back of the cinder block building that occupied the station). I was working in Houston at an AM the last time I visited them and learned they billed less than what I cleared in my monthly paycheck which was low pay for Houston, $1,000 a week. Still, it was enough for them to make it. I know back then they had the Waverly AM so I don't know if the figure they gave me included both stations but I recall they simulcast.

As for Ashland City's station, on one of my visits to my parent's place, I stopped by the station and found the door open but nobody there. A gospel music CD was tracking in the CD player. As the minutes were ticking away in the 10 o'clock hour, Corky comes running in the station and begins firing off a few commercials, runs network news, a few more spots and then into a CD to track through the 11am hour. We talk about 5 minutes and he and I are off. I gathered Corky started a CDX disc after network news and a few commercials, then out the door to see local clients and return before the top of the hour to run more spots. I always liked his downtown location but I suppose he never billed enough to have a receptionist in the building.

I find it funny the station was launched November 6 and it took this long for someone to notice it. (I sure didn't). I wonder if any other station is going to pick up a Black Gospel format.
I liken this to AM 1430, which I can't even find on Radio-Locator anymore! If it hadn't been for them simulcasting Hippie (for about 15 minutes!), I likely wouldn't have been aware of any changes there, either.

As for Ashland City's station, on one of my visits to my parent's place, I stopped by the station and found the door open but nobody there. A gospel music CD was tracking in the CD player. As the minutes were ticking away in the 10 o'clock hour, Corky comes running in the station and begins firing off a few commercials, runs network news, a few more spots and then into a CD to track through the 11am hour. We talk about 5 minutes and he and I are off. I gathered Corky started a CDX disc after network news and a few commercials, then out the door to see local clients and return before the top of the hour to run more spots. I always liked his downtown location but I suppose he never billed enough to have a receptionist in the building.
In recent years, I have heard Rick Dees on that station. No big deal here in the midstate, but he is apparently also syndicated somewhere in the Memphis area as well, which has led listeners there to believe that he has "returned" to Memphis!

The buyer is John Fredericks' Distruptor Radio who owns or operates through LMAs, mostly AMs, some of which have translators, mainly in Pennsylvania and Virginia and one in the Atlanta area. It is now or will be known as News/Talk 760, The Flame and according to the website, carries Pittsburgh Steelers football games.
WENO is 1 kW day only from near the campus of Trevecca Nazarene University. Purchase price is $325,000.
Amusing that they will (apparently?) carry the Pittsburgh Steelers HERE! I realize that they probably can't get the tight'uns (despite their logo), but that still seems strange. Now if they carried the Steelers in the Memphis area, they might have some listeners! (Remembering when the Tennessee Oilers played the Steelers at the Liberty Bowl in 1997, and more Steelers fans showed up than Oilers fans, which led Bud Adams to move his team to Nashville "early.")

I liken this to AM 1430, which I can't even find on Radio-Locator anymore! If it hadn't been for them simulcasting Hippie (for about 15 minutes!), I likely wouldn't have been aware of any changes there, either.
You mean this? Since it's silent, Radio-Locator doesn't display the coverage maps.

1430 will be back on the air. The tower site is being developed. Not a square inch of land in Nashville will be left undeveloped. Look at what's about to go on the old WKDF/WGFX site on 2nd Ave.
Will 1430 come back as a simulcast of Hippie? I would do an Urban Gospel format. Its coverage area would be prime for it

Developer has been finalizing the three tower heights, plus the properties around it are now scheduled for more high-rises, so there is the infrastructure planning and codes is a nightmare in Nashville. There are about four dozen planned new high-rises either under construction or on the books to possibly happen and codes is backed up for months. The GFX/KDF site is still going to be developed. New designs were released a few weeks ago and they look pretty impressive. I hope they salvage the KDF hearse buried on the property. Also, Jim - so the deal is interesting as far as 1430 goes. The land/property is too valuable to NOT be developed, so it is actually being developed. There is also a need to work with another radio broadcaster in the market that has translators and so that will allow some better upgrades and use of a tower, etc. This is definitely going to be a win-win. The radio station part of the equation is the LCD.

Will 1430 come back as a simulcast of Hippie? I would do an Urban Gospel format. Its coverage area would be prime for it
It appears that the Ashland City station may be doing just that. Not sure for how long that they have been doing it, and how good that their coverage might be for Nashville proper, but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom