• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Well, THIS is unique...

you certainly are not getting documentation about WECK employees. Do the research yourself.

am I Buddy. ? Really? Still trying to figure that out? Maybe I am, but probably I’m not. Does it really matter. This should not be about Buddy. Like everyone says, “ Buddy gets way to much publicity on this forum.“ We all know the perhaps millions of people on here.

we are just talkin tv here, with some other broadcasting stuff mixed in.

Hire a stenographer and find out who I am. Let’s do this, you tell me your name, and I’ll tell you mine.

try to learn something. Perhaps hire Sherlock Holmes
When did stenographers become detectives?

WBTA is a well-established local radio station, a legacy in Genesee county. Good to read that a local account exec will be taking the reins and the local service continues. $100k down and $325k over 122 months is interesting. That's a 10 year term.
David Eduard said:
That means that the sale was for about 2 times annual gross billings. That is a very small station that bills less than $20 k a month!
-February, 2023 WBTA thread

WBTA was known to be (and very likely, remains) a well-structured, efficiently operated local radio station. In the thread dedicated to the sale of WBTA, Mr. Eduardo made a calculated analysis of the WBTA's billing based on the sale price and terms of the sale. Given his experience, his is a credible assessment.

Billing, as most know, is directly related to cash flow, which is directly related to profit and loss ... which is directly related to how many people are employed at a facility, especially radio stations in small communities like Batavia, Dunkirk-Fredonia, Lancaster, Springville, Lockport and Niagara Falls.

As successful as WBTA was (and likely remains), according to the assessment provided, WBTA was running on a tight operating budget. The former owner and his wife (the Fischers) worked at the station, daily. That's sweat equity. Some months yield diamonds, some months yield coal. An in-station, hands-on owner operator, husband-wife-family, can endure the challenges presented by soft(er) months and rise to those challenges, solving the challenges and often excelling. The new owner of WBTA is an established, legacy account executive, which yields an intimate understanding of the business and the community, as well as consistency in the operation of the radio station.

To this point, WEBR and WLVL have yet to establish the consistency, continuity and attachment to their Cities of License ("COL") as has WBTA. Any discussion of hiring personnel and programming has to be balanced by what appears on the ledger. As has been recently stated elsewhere on this board, "Radio is a cash flow business."

There's an axiom which I first heard offered by a family friend who operated a successful, precision machine shop, "First pay your employees, then pay the bank." When you're an owner operator and times are tight, you can adjust your salary (yes, ethical and responsible owner-operators do, and have done, such a thing) in order to protect the cash flow and salaries of your staff.

Both 1440 and WLVL would need to find their niche.
Concur, wholeheartedly! There are a number of programming alternatives that would improve the appeal of both facilities, but those alternatives require objective decision making, foresight and astute programming and management by living, breathing human beings. Salaries. Cash flow.

Last edited:
In news from the Florida Keys (from Radio Insight) Magnum began operating Buddy Shula’s Radio One Key West’s Yacht Rock “Key 93.7” WKEY-FM Key West via LMA for $4100 per month on September 1.

The numbers noted here are not gargantuan, which is an indication of where and how some (small) radio stations in smaller markets operate and survive. It's a potentially good business for owners/managers who can work deals, do some trade and pay the bills, with some money allocated to paying a down-sized staff, many of whom are working on a part-time basis, or as a retirement gig. Beyond that, it doesn't portend great things for the business.

Back
Top Bottom