• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Well, THIS is unique...

Buddy Shula's Big WECK has entered into a JSA to handle ad sales for WBBZ-TV.

And with the details....

Big WECK Enters JSA With WBBZ-TV - RadioInsight

Mind you, this is not the first time WECK has done something like this; a few years ago, it entered into an ad sales partnership with Byrnes Communications' CFLZ and CJED(101.1 More FM and 105.1 the River)to sell ads in the Buffalo area for the two stations. It should also be noted a new show spotlighting area businesses will debut next Thursday night on WBBZ, hosted by Joe Chille.

Not really. Buddy has long said he owns an advertising agency along with WECK, and as you say, he has JSAs with several Canadian FMs. This may be his first TV, but sales is sales. Buddy could sell ice to eskimos. This gives him a bigger sales platform, and saves the TV station money. Weigel Broadcasting owns MeTV and MeTV-fm. I could easily see Buddy offering them some competition.

Given the programming offered by WBBZ-TV and WECK, there's a synergy that benefits both entities.
And WECK has a very experienced sales staff that knows how to approach and serve their target demos. Radio/TV combo buys, especially with a second-tier TV rate card, could be quite tempting for local owners who are less than enthused about the efficiency of digital impressions.

Not really. Buddy has long said he owns an advertising agency along with WECK, and as you say, he has JSAs with several Canadian FMs. This may be his first TV, but sales is sales. Buddy could sell ice to eskimos. This gives him a bigger sales platform, and saves the TV station money. Weigel Broadcasting owns MeTV and MeTV-fm. I could easily see Buddy offering them some competition.
Yes, Weigel owns MeTV(as well as 25 TV stations and a number of other digital subchannels). HOWEVER, WBBZ has been a good affiliate ever since they teamed up with Me over a decade ago. I don't think Buddy has any designs of purchasing the station.

And WECK has a very experienced sales staff that knows how to approach and serve their target demos. Radio/TV combo buys, especially with a second-tier TV rate card, could be quite tempting for local owners who are less than enthused about the efficiency of digital impressions.
"Second-tier" is being generous. Some of their "ad packages" are less expensive than the lowest rated radio station in the market.

Buddy could offer a radio-TV combo that's less expensive than several radio-only buys.
And there is a considerable market for that kind of package. Lower rates, smaller audience but a chance for higher frequency which many advertisers wanted in order to keep their name visible in a crowded market.

He doesn't have to own it if he gets to sell it and combine it with WECK. He's doing in Buffalo what Weigel does in Chicago, Milwaukee, and a few other markets.
Aren't we jumping ahead of ourselves? WECK is owned by Radio One Buffalo, while WBBZ is owned by either ITV of Buffalo(per Wikipedia)or Code 3 Broadcasting. All WECK did was start a JSA with WBBZ.

I will agree with others in this thread: strategically, it's a good fit for both stations since they both serve a demo that-sadly-is kind of overlooked.

And, Buddy... do I dare say... without him getting giddy, he knows what he is doing.

I always ENJOY bigger markets merging tv and radio; or youngsters merging twitch and other media, ie: Radio, TV
I agree with you, seems like a very forward thinking move. I did hear that Buddy is running the entire sales operation at WBBZ, and he is combining it with WECK. I was watching today and saw many new WECK related spots, promos and elements. Same on the WBBZ website. In the past he has mentioned “WECK TV’

I know rumors fly, but it appears running the sales efforts for both stations is not quite the final plan. He may purchase it, or do a local marketing agreement

I think we should all agree he appears pretty damn good at hiring great people, and building a major player radio station. we can mock and throw stones all we want, but to this poster, he has proven himself. We’ll see what happens.

T-Bolt, as usual, you are wrong. There is probably a reason no one on this board likes you, or respects you. You do nothing but wallow in your own bitterness, and why you are even on a Buffalo board, who knows, since you are not in Buffalo.

Your assumptions are always wrong, your opinions never turn out to be correct. Your claim to fame is getting Buddy kicked off this board, when Buddy added common sense and you add nothing.

Why the people who own this board continue to put up with your no-sense, non-sense is a mystery. You shoot down everything, and everyone, which is why most broadcasters no longer go on this board. Literally because of you.

This board has become increasing boring. The only real thread is once per month 3 seconds after the ratings come out. Even then, these response rate has never been lower.

Maybe this should be a discussion board ,not an opinion board for rationale , level headed people who care about broadcasting. You would not even of entered this conversation if you did not think I was Buddy.

`The topics on this board are meaningless now. People are grasping at straws on what to post, and when WECK is done with Nielsen, people really won’t give a damn about the ratings because we all know the first think your looking for is “how did WECK do”

You say owners should not be on this board. They should have better things to do. Really? I would think coming from an owner you would like to hear their perspective….but not you….because you are threatened by owners. They know what’s going on and you just guess, and are most always wrong. There is one local owner in Buffalo broadcasting, and you hate him. You’ll hate him more when he owns a TV station. Calling people “bi polar and schizophrenic?” Go look at yourself and the posts you have written. I would also encourage everyone else to look at the posts you’ve written since most of what you say has turned out to be totally wrong. Everything is negative. The owners of this board must be really proud that they’ve kicked off relevant broadcasters, and left people like you to complain.

No, this is not Buddy, as much as you would like to believe it is..or is it Buddy? Maybe Buddy wrote for me to post…maybe he didn’t. Perhaps I know him. Perhaps I work for him. Whatever your guess it, it will surely be wrong.

Your assumptions are always wrong, your opinions never turn out to be correct. Your claim to fame is getting Buddy kicked off this board, when Buddy added common sense and you add nothing.
Buddy got himself kicked off the board by using offensive language and making ad hominum remarks. However, some of those were in response to tbolt909 provoking him... but still inappropriate posts.
Why the people who own this board continue to put up with your no-sense, non-sense is a mystery.
It's because we welcome contrarian opinions. I don't agree with tbolt909 on 99% of his posts, and find that his opinions frequently do not match reality or "the facts".
Maybe this should be a discussion board ,not an opinion board for rationale , level headed people who care about broadcasting. You would not even of entered this conversation if you did not think I was Buddy.
It is obvious from your writing style, grammar and vocabulary that you are not Buddy. Saying that you are does not match the facts and evidence.
`The topics on this board are meaningless now. People are grasping at straws on what to post, and when WECK is done with Nielsen, people really won’t give a damn about the ratings because we all know the first think your looking for is “how did WECK do”
WECK was amusing for a year or two. Like that kids book of "The Little Engine That Could", he had a miserable technical facility and a format not favored by most advertisers and, yet, he was making it work. After a while, that became old hat and there was nothing new except rather frequent staff turnover.
Go look at yourself and the posts you have written. I would also encourage everyone else to look at the posts you’ve written since most of what you say has turned out to be totally wrong.
Many are conjecture and don't reflect the reality of radio's budgets, industry billing and, most important, the changes in tastes by actual and potential listeners. But tbolt still can make his points and it is up to the rest of us to set him straight... often.
Everything is negative. The owners of this board must be really proud that they’ve kicked off relevant broadcasters, and left people like you to complain.
One owner, who used vile language and insults, was kicked off. I'd definitely consider welcoming him back if he were to ask and promise to watch his language.

Remember, the system that places ads on this board analyzes content and certain language and vocabulary will lose placements and can't be allowed.
No, this is not Buddy, as much as you would like to believe it is..or is it Buddy? Maybe Buddy wrote for me to post…maybe he didn’t. Perhaps I know him. Perhaps I work for him. Whatever your guess it, it will surely be wrong.
That's not the point.

The point is that the board is open to diverse opinions. The board also bans people who post with offensive, biased, profane or racist language and we'd ban Bob Pittman just as fast as Buddy got censured if Bob said something offensive here.

Wow! Buddy's back! Let's see if he can avoid getting busted this time!
I doubt this is Buddy. I did a "writing style evaluation" based on grammar, vocabulary, style, sentence construction and length, paragraph distinction and several other factors (the same evaluation used for members of a "writers room" in "The Business" that a neighbor in Burbank taught me; HitThePost and Buddy are either very good at dissimulation or they are totally different people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom