• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Well, that didn't take long

96.9 The Beat in Topeka is being sold and will apparently change formats. I can't say I'm too surprised, but I'm always disappointed to see a semi-local operator fail while trying to serve an underserved community.

96.9 The Beat in Topeka is being sold and will apparently change formats. I can't say I'm too surprised, but I'm always disappointed to see a semi-local operator fail while trying to serve an underserved community.

It was a very niche format, for a market its size and with its demographic makeup (along with a playlist that was all over the place), and in a market that’s always been difficult to pull in ad revenue, as well as little to no promotion.

I wanted to truly see this effort work in the long term, but the odds were against them.

It was a very niche format, for a market its size and with its demographic makeup (along with a playlist that was all over the place), and in a market that’s always been difficult to pull in ad revenue, as well as little to no promotion.
Topeka used to have the reputation of being a market overshadowed by Kansas City, both in radio and TV. Is that still the case?

I'm trying to think what holes formatic wise are left in the Topeka market. Topeka was always a weird town market to me. Even when I was a kid in the early 80s.

I'm trying to think what holes formatic wise are left in the Topeka market. Topeka was always a weird town market to me. Even when I was a kid in the early 80s.
It's so close to Kansas City, and then there's the eternal tussle over Lawrence and Douglas county. An example from the TV world: a friend who used to work for WIBW-TV once complained to me that his station was covering lots of Lawrence news, but Lawrence viewers tended to gravitate to the Kansas City stations; moreover, KCTV would call up WIBW asking for video.

But, for weird markets in that region, I think nothing surpasses St. Joseph, Missouri.

Topeka is a stagnant place. The population in 2020 was roughly the same as the population in 1970.

I can't see the KNZA folks trying to sell country in that crowded market. But adult contemporary or classic hits would put them against The Eagle and Jack FM. And the three A.M. talk/sports stations all have FM translators now.

Topeka has always been a difficult place to make money. It has the demographics to support an urban station, but KPRS 103.3 has always been popular there. Competing against it was always going to be difficult, even though the Carters and Shermans have been friends for a long time and had even worked together in the past.

Urban always seemed like it would be a tough sell in Topeka. CHR hasn’t even been an easy sell there in the last 35 years. WIBW-FM ditched CHR for country in 1990 despite being in a dogfight with KTPK for first place. Selling a format that is younger, more male, and more ethnically diverse seemed like it would be next-to-impossible there.

I can't see the KNZA folks trying to sell country in that crowded market. But adult contemporary or classic hits would put them against The Eagle and Jack FM. And the three A.M. talk/sports stations all have FM translators now.

Cumulus bought that vacant allotment at 96.9 with the intention of moving it into Topeka to replace KMAJ-FM when it was planning to move 107.7 into Kansas City. It didn’t want to get rid of Majic's programming and needed the entire cluster to be successful. So, a cheap Nebraska allotment that could be moved seemed a good solution.

Of course, it bought Susquehanna and no longer could fit 107.7 into its KC cluster. So, it kept 107.7 in Topeka and found itself with one extra station it could no longer move into Topeka.

The Topeka pie can only be sliced so much, and it has had one station that was intended to replace an existing station rather than be an addition to the market added a couple years ago. If I were guessing, I'd say KNZA would likely do country, but competing with Alpha's country combo plus 92.9 The Bull seems like a fool's errand. I'm told 105.9 Kiss FM is programmed poorly these days, but, as I mentioned previously, CHR has been a tough go in Topeka for a long time. Surviving as a stand-alone there is likely to be close to impossible, and I believe only the Zimmer cluster can add it. If Zimmer wanted it, he probably could've had it. I can’t imagine that would be the endgame here.

Cumulus bought that vacant allotment at 96.9 with the intention of moving it into Topeka to replace KMAJ-FM when it was planning to move 107.7 into Kansas City. It didn’t want to get rid of Majic's programming and needed the entire cluster to be successful. So, a cheap Nebraska allotment that could be moved seemed a good solution.

Of course, it bought Susquehanna and no longer could fit 107.7 into its KC cluster. So, it kept 107.7 in Topeka and found itself with one extra station it could no longer move into Topeka.

The Topeka pie can only be sliced so much, and it has had one station that was intended to replace an existing station rather than be an addition to the market added a couple years ago. If I were guessing, I'd say KNZA would likely do country, but competing with Alpha's country combo plus 92.9 The Bull seems like a fool's errand. I'm told 105.9 Kiss FM is programmed poorly these days, but, as I mentioned previously, CHR has been a tough go in Topeka for a long time. Surviving as a stand-alone there is likely to be close to impossible, and I believe only the Zimmer cluster can add it. If Zimmer wanted it, he probably could've had it. I can’t imagine that would be the endgame here.
So many things have me scratching my head:

Why Hank Booth decades ago accepted the offer to move the 105.9 transmitting site to the west (which enabled 106.5 to move south of the Missouri River to Blue Summit), thereby knocking him out of much of the Missouri side of Kansas City....

Why Cumulus didn't dump the Odessa rimshot turkey, as it then was, at 107.3, which probably would have let it go ahead with the move of KMAJ....

Why Zimmer even wanted to be in Lawrence, which gets most of the Kansas City FMs anyway....

And more. But 96.9 probably can't be moved much closer to Kansas City or even Lawrence, due to second adjacents with 96.5 and 97.3, so what could be done with it? The present 60 dBµ coverage is Topeka plus areas to the north, which doesn't seem to be a very attractive proposition.

I thought contemporary Christian might be a possibility, but I see that the NCE part of the FM band in Topeka has a ton of such stations already.

I got to thinking....Topeka has a history of being where radio stations go to die. 95.7 tried to target Topeka in the late 80s early 90s but ended up going dark around 1994. Then back in the 80s, despite its long history....1250 WREN went dark in 1987. It came back as a Southern Gospel station in the early 90s only to be moved into KC.

Why Hank Booth decades ago accepted the offer to move the 105.9 transmitting site to the west (which enabled 106.5 to move south of the Missouri River to Blue Summit), thereby knocking him out of much of the Missouri side of Kansas City....

Booth was generally considered a smart operator, but the Lecompton tower for 105.9 was definitely a mistake. I was surprised to find that happened in 1987. I spent a few weeks of the summer of 1987 in the KC area and listened to K-Lite 106.5 fairly regularly. K-Lite and Power 95 were mostly my listening choices. On the way back to Oklahoma, we got K-Lite past Lamar. Of course, getting Q104 on a good car radio was possible in Joplin until that market's 104.3 signed on around '99 or '00. So, maybe it still was a tad north at the time.

Why Cumulus didn't dump the Odessa rimshot turkey, as it then was, at 107.3, which probably would have let it go ahead with the move of KMAJ....

I can answer this one. Moving KMAJ-FM into KC would've given it essentially the same signal as 95.7. When Cumulus moved 107.7 back to Topeka, it downgraded it to a Class C1 from the Class C it previously was. That enabled it to move 107.3 closer to KC and relicense it to North Kansas City from Lexington. 107.3's new tower is in Oak Grove.

Why Zimmer even wanted to be in Lawrence, which gets most of the Kansas City FMs anyway....

Zimmer was in expansion mode when it bought KLWN/KLZR from Booth. Not sure why it thought Lawrence/Topeka was a good market to get into, though. I had been told it was working on a deal to get into Arkansas and expand its Illinois holdings around the same time, but the company that was interested in selling out of those markets ended up merging with Clear Channel instead. With the way the company broke up around 20 years ago, one of the brothers got Lawrence and slowly grew his operation. He added 92.9 and later added stations in Bloomington/Normal and Cookeville, TN. I suppose he's doing alright, though I've been told programming has been cut to the bone at least on most of the music stations.

And more. But 96.9 probably can't be moved much closer to Kansas City or even Lawrence, due to second adjacents with 96.5 and 97.3, so what could be done with it? The present 60 dBµ coverage is Topeka plus areas to the north, which doesn't seem to be a very attractive proposition.

That looks right to me. Not much can be done to move 96.9 much closer to any population center. Something that has crossed my mind is that KNZA mostly operates in northeastern Kansas. I don't know how much it could move 96.9 in that direction with KZKX from Lincoln having to be a consideration, but I'm wondering if it didn't buy the station to combine it with its cluster around Hiawatha and Falls City. Even if its transmitter didn't move at all, it covers much of the same area KAIR-FM and KNZA do. Granted, the price seems high to cover such a sparsely populated area, but 96.9 really does seem to fit well with most of the rest of the company's signals.

I got to thinking....Topeka has a history of being where radio stations go to die. 95.7 tried to target Topeka in the late 80s early 90s but ended up going dark around 1994. Then back in the 80s, despite its long history....1250 WREN went dark in 1987. It came back as a Southern Gospel station in the early 90s only to be moved into KC.

Pretty much. As we've discussed, it's always been a tough place to make money. I'm not sure if that goes back to so many people listening to KC stations, if it's just that the local businesses don't buy radio, or if it's some combination of those and other factors. I was a little surprised KHUM 95.7 decided to target Topeka as KZTO "Your Total FM" around '92. Even on a Walkman, I could hear it quite well around the I-35/95th Street area in Lenexa, and its studios at the time were on Massachusetts Street in Lawrence. If I'd have owned it, I would've rather been an also-ran in KC than a Topeka station, even if the signal was better in Topeka. Being a low-rated KC rimshot always involved more money than being a Topeka station. As lousy of an operator as he had a reputation of being, "Super" Frank Copsidas got that right. When he got 95.7, he went after KC.

Booth was generally considered a smart operator, but the Lecompton tower for 105.9 was definitely a mistake. I was surprised to find that happened in 1987. I spent a few weeks of the summer of 1987 in the KC area and listened to K-Lite 106.5 fairly regularly. K-Lite and Power 95 were mostly my listening choices. On the way back to Oklahoma, we got K-Lite past Lamar. Of course, getting Q104 on a good car radio was possible in Joplin until that market's 104.3 signed on around '99 or '00. So, maybe it still was a tad north at the time.
Booth may have thought that the move was inevitable - despite a brief two-year run of success as KKCI (which got GM John Beck the same job at St. Louis's KSHE, where he kept that station successful for years), the station's transmitter location in Liberty was a known problem, even among the general public. That location made it difficult for it to cut through the severe RF interference in central Kansas City caused by so many high-power operations being located so close in. In the pre-DSP receiver days, front-end overload was a common problem in the urban core. So whoever owned 106.5 was highly motivated to do whatever it needed to do to move south of the river. It eventually landed at Blue Summit. And, thus, Booth probably figured he would cut the best deal possible. As it turned out, when KLZR went to a modern rock format in 1993, it actually did start selling into Kansas City. It could have done even better with the old location in south Lawrence, I believe.

The KBEQ (Q-104) signal really got out. Putting that station on the KCPT tower, also in the general Blue Summit area, was a smart move, and helped it compete with what were then the legacy radio/TV combinations that had access to tower heights just under or even over 1,000 feet: KYYS, KCMO-FM/KCEZ/KCPW, KMBR/KLTH.

I can answer this one. Moving KMAJ-FM into KC would've given it essentially the same signal as 95.7. When Cumulus moved 107.7 back to Topeka, it downgraded it to a Class C1 from the Class C it previously was. That enabled it to move 107.3 closer to KC and relicense it to North Kansas City from Lexington.
One wonders if the capital expenditure was worth it.

Not much can be done to move 96.9 much closer to any population center. Something that has crossed my mind is that KNZA mostly operates in northeastern Kansas. I don't know how much it could move 96.9 in that direction with KZKX from Lincoln having to be a consideration, but I'm wondering if it didn't buy the station to combine it with its cluster around Hiawatha and Falls City. Even if its transmitter didn't move at all, it covers much of the same area KAIR-FM and KNZA do. Granted, the price seems high to cover such a sparsely populated area, but 96.9 really does seem to fit well with most of the rest of the company's signals.
I also don't think the money is there in ag-related advertising, compared to what it was. They're going to have to keep their overhead really low.

I'm not sure if that goes back to so many people listening to KC stations, if it's just that the local businesses don't buy radio, or if it's some combination of those and other factors.
I'd say it's a combination, with the lack of local listenership being the driving factor.

Lawrence was a little bit of a bubble as well - a radio station with strong local identity plus a locally-owned newspaper that was better than average. Overall media industry and advertising trends have worked against such bubbles. Even the newspaper is a shell of its former self.

I was a little surprised KHUM 95.7 decided to target Topeka as KZTO "Your Total FM" around '92. Even on a Walkman, I could hear it quite well around the I-35/95th Street area in Lenexa, and its studios at the time were on Massachusetts Street in Lawrence.
It also didn't last very long. I don't think it even lasted a year. That station stayed off the air for a very long time.
If I'd have owned it, I would've rather been an also-ran in KC than a Topeka station, even if the signal was better in Topeka. Being a low-rated KC rimshot always involved more money than being a Topeka station. As lousy of an operator as he had a reputation of being, "Super" Frank Copsidas got that right. When he got 95.7, he went after KC.
I would have downgraded it to a C2 and stuck it on the old KCKN-FM tower in Kansas City, Kansas. Sure, that's fantasyland, but even though that tower was a 500-footer, it also seemed to be a better than average site, with the KCKN-FM (later KFKF) signal getting out really well (this was before the move to the KLSI/KMXV tower near the Raytown-KC border). In any event, I agree, Copsidas figured out that Kansas City was the market to target. There was a proposal at one time involving a downgrade of KWWR in Mexico, Mo. (transmitter north of Centralia) that could have given the Ottawa (KC) 95.7 more room to maneuver but that didn't end up happening.

As it turned out, when KLZR went to a modern rock format in 1993, it actually did start selling into Kansas City. It could have done even better with the old location in south Lawrence, I believe.

Far as I can remember, 105.9 was always a mediocre performer in Topeka. Before it went to the modern rock format, it was mostly running satellite CHR/Hot AC. The local drop-ins it had usually just said, "Locked in to 105.9," and the top of the hour ID made no mention of KC. I don't think it ever got great numbers in KC with the modern rock format, but it had a loyal audience and even sponsored a few concerts in the KC area. It also had a local request line in KC. Ironically, it was a Independence phone number.

The KBEQ (Q-104) signal really got out. Putting that station on the KCPT tower, also in the general Blue Summit area, was a smart move, and helped it compete with what were then the legacy radio/TV combinations that had access to tower heights just under or even over 1,000 feet: KYYS, KCMO-FM/KCEZ/KCPW, KMBR/KLTH.

Q104 got out quite well. You could hear it until it started getting interference from KMYZ-FM out of Tulsa. My grandparents used to live on a hill on the Rogers/Mayes County line along OK-28, and I could get 93.3, 94.9, 98.1, 100.7/101.1, and 102.1 from KC at their house until new stations started signing on and/or upgrading. I remember being a freshman in high school and disappointed to find an oldies station on 94.9. I figured Oldies 95 was a new station and was even more disappointed to find Power 95 was gone a few months later. When I went to college in Arkansas, I could still get a couple of KC FM's. Lite 99.7 FM was receivable on the home stereo until KBTN-FM signed in '95. After Leroy Billy bought KBSY/KOMS 107.3, it started signing off at 10:00 PM, and KISF would start booming in. Those were about it, though. From the summer of '89 to January '94, there were a lot of upgrades and sign-ons between KC and Tulsa. I found the 94.9 out of Prairie Grove, AR signed off at 10:00 PM, but Oldies 95 was a very rare catch. 94.9 usually just had splatter from KTTS-FM 94.7 and KMXL 95.1, which was an upgrade itself of the old KRGK 104.9 a few years earlier.

One wonders if the capital expenditure was worth it.

From Cumulus's standpoint, it probably was because the physical plant of KMAJ-FM was never moved, and all the moves had just occurred on paper. 107.3 has a slightly better signal in the KC area than it did before all of the changes. I doubt Cumulus would've gone through all the effort if it had known it was going to end up with Susquehanna, but, since it had already planned the moves, it got something for them. As you know, I was working for the company when all of this started. I had been talking to some of the engineers about all of this, and we had tried to see if there would be some way to get 107.7 on one of the towers near the Sports Complex. We believed KOQL 106.1 could be moved on paper to Otterville to replace KCVK, but moving KCVK much further east wasn't going to be easy. KRLK 107.7 didn't have much more wiggle room either. It couldn't easily be moved into Springfield because of the 107.5 in Mountain Home and KCLQ 107.9, which also kept it from moving very far to the east. We would still have had the problem of moving KMJK 107.3 further out of the metro. I don't know if anyone ever found a way to make all of the moves necessary. The IT position that I was supposed to be moving into got redlined before the sale to Cumulus, and, after a similar position opened a few months later, they offered it to someone else. So, I didn't spend much additional time discussing that potential project. That ship had sailed, and I had concluded I was never going to be boarding. I would, however, think they would've gone ahead with the KMAJ-FM move if they had found a viable way to get it on one of those candleabras at 435 and 70.

I would have downgraded it to a C2 and stuck it on the old KCKN-FM tower in Kansas City, Kansas. Sure, that's fantasyland, but even though that tower was a 500-footer, it also seemed to be a better than average site, with the KCKN-FM (later KFKF) signal getting out really well (this was before the move to the KLSI/KMXV tower near the Raytown-KC border). In any event, I agree, Copsidas figured out that Kansas City was the market to target. There was a proposal at one time involving a downgrade of KWWR in Mexico, Mo. (transmitter north of Centralia) that could have given the Ottawa (KC) 95.7 more room to maneuver but that didn't end up happening.

I know there was talk of downgrading 95.7 and moving it closer to the metro, but it didn't happen for several reasons. Not sure what all of them were, but I know it had maintain a minimum separation from 106.5 due to the 10.6 spacing rule. That was part of it. It also was going to have to find a new COL as it wasn't going to cover Ottawa from there, though I'm sure it could've found somewhere that needed a radio station on paper. I think we've talked about it before, but KWWR's move to accommodate 95.5's move to St. Louis from Bethalto likely made KCHZ's move closer to KC tougher, too. Seems like it moved a few miles west.

Far as I can remember, 105.9 was always a mediocre performer in Topeka. Before it went to the modern rock format, it was mostly running satellite CHR/Hot AC. The local drop-ins it had usually just said, "Locked in to 105.9," and the top of the hour ID made no mention of KC. I don't think it ever got great numbers in KC with the modern rock format, but it had a loyal audience and even sponsored a few concerts in the KC area. It also had a local request line in KC. Ironically, it was a Independence phone number.
There was a locally programmed rock format in the early 1980s, a little more adventurous than what KYYS was offering at the time. In the mid-1980s it went to an automated AC format, but still had local news and KU sports. The move to modern rock was in 1993. It would show up from time to time in the vanity numbers but still was primarily a Lawrence station. It did get national attention, though, including from that annoying self-appointed arbiter of coolness, Rolling Stone. When KISF (107.3) went to a somewhat hit-oriented version of modern rock in 1995, that also had an impact.

The KC request line was actually a cellphone number set to forwarding into the Lawrence number; the switch hosting what was then Cellular One service was based in Independence but served the entire Kansas City area. The forwarding wouldn't have cost KLZR anything extra; Cellular One had toll free calling from Topeka to the Lafayette County, Mo. line. I had a phone with that carrier also. If Southwestern Bell (as it then was) had been provisioning it, it would likely have come out of the McGee switch downtown.

Q104 got out quite well. You could hear it until it started getting interference from KMYZ-FM out of Tulsa. My grandparents used to live on a hill on the Rogers/Mayes County line along OK-28, and I could get 93.3, 94.9, 98.1, 100.7/101.1, and 102.1 from KC at their house until new stations started signing on and/or upgrading. I remember being a freshman in high school and disappointed to find an oldies station on 94.9. I figured Oldies 95 was a new station and was even more disappointed to find Power 95 was gone a few months later.
The KCMO properties went through a lot of turmoil in the 1980s with at least four different owners during that time. KCPW seemed to be doing well, so the switch to "Oldies 95" was a shocker. Ultimately, though, it turned out to be a pretty good move.

From Cumulus's standpoint, it probably was because the physical plant of KMAJ-FM was never moved, and all the moves had just occurred on paper. 107.3 has a slightly better signal in the KC area than it did before all of the changes. I doubt Cumulus would've gone through all the effort if it had known it was going to end up with Susquehanna, but, since it had already planned the moves, it got something for them. [...] I would, however, think they would've gone ahead with the KMAJ-FM move if they had found a viable way to get it on one of those candleabras at 435 and 70.
KMAJ (and KTPK) had surprisingly good reach into Kansas City, even on the Missouri side.

I know there was talk of downgrading 95.7 and moving it closer to the metro, but it didn't happen for several reasons. Not sure what all of them were, but I know it had maintain a minimum separation from 106.5 due to the 10.6 spacing rule. That was part of it. It also was going to have to find a new COL as it wasn't going to cover Ottawa from there, though I'm sure it could've found somewhere that needed a radio station on paper.
KZZC built a 990-foot tower at Basehor in 1983 before moving onto the KCTV tower in 1987, but possibly that tower no longer existed when these later chess moves were being considered.

I think we've talked about it before, but KWWR's move to accommodate 95.5's move to St. Louis from Bethalto likely made KCHZ's move closer to KC tougher, too. Seems like it moved a few miles west.
It looks like that would have been way back in 2000. While I was in Centralia a lot in the early 2000s when my aunt who lived there had her final illness (she made it to 92!), I don't recall that tower. I'll have to ask around. The original KWWR site was at KXEO on the east side of Mexico; Centralia is about 15 miles away. There was an application approved in 1985 to go up to 995 feet and change the transmitting site, but I don't know where that was. The Centralia site certainly would help the station get into Moberly better - and the Mexico and Moberly station were once head-on rivals - but KWWR was always more interested in Columbia audiences and advertising dollars (since Columbia is the regional center) than Moberly's KRES. The Centralia site may have helped a little there.

Galen Gilbert had KWWR (and KXEO) for a while - along with a bunch of other Missouri stations - before selling to Jerry Johnson, who passed away in 1989. In recent years, the stations seem to have stagnated.

Back
Top Bottom