• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WEEO 1130 Waynesboro

Anyone remember this station? Seems they went on the air sometime around 1970, 1 kw DA day, 3 tower inline on the property of the old Waynesboro airport, behind Keystone Homes. They were a Top-40 station, and seemed to have changed hands several times in the 80s and then were off the air by 1992, which was the year the license was cancelled.

Sorry- I don't recall that station. Same frequency as Bloomberg radio in NYC. ( The old WNEW ) Didn't Ephrata have an AM station at one time ? 1310 Khz ????

Apparently WNEW didn't take too kindly to having another station on 1130 that close to them either, since the FCC history card for WEEO that I found show that a petition to deny (the WEEO CP) was filed on behalf of Metromedia (then owner of WNEW) and there was some action back and forth between WEEO and WNEW over this, of course the history card just shows notes that this happened, but not why. Last record I can find on them shows a major modification was filed to move the transmitter and CoL to Greencastle, PA and increase power to 5 kw. This was filed in December 1988, accepted by the FCC in March 1989, and dismissed May 1992, which appears to be when the license was deleted as well. The coordinates for the proposed transmitter site would've put it adjacent to the transmitter site for WKSL-FM (now WQCM) at the north end of the Grove Manufacturing plant in Shady Grove, PA.

I remember WEEO...its where J.J. Randolph went after leaving 98YCR back in the day. If I remember correctly, he basically did everything there...live morning show, PD, MD and also sales...

IIRC it was the home of "Shotgun Johnny Ringo" name taken because i was one of the presung jingles in the package... ;-0

Another short lived AM'er in the area was WPVG 1160 licensed to Funkstown, 1KW ND station that began in the mid 80's that ended in the early 90's.

Remembering WEEO in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania

Anyone remember this station? Seems they went on the air sometime around 1970, 1 kw DA day, 3 tower inline on the property of the old Waynesboro airport, behind Keystone Homes. They were a Top-40 station, and seemed to have changed hands several times in the 80s and then were off the air by 1992, which was the year the license was cancelled.

Yes, I remember WEEO-AM in Waynesboro, Pa. I was an assistant to chief engineer Jim Hartzler (whose amateur radio call sign was W3EIJ at that time, now K8EIJ) from 1970 through mid-1972. The station manager's on-air name was "Jack O'Lantern." He threatened to fire me because he heard me say, "WEEO. We owe everybody."

I also remember 'Shotgun Johnny Ringo' because he always cranked up the volume to the maximum in the studio and in his headphones. (He's probably deaf now.) This would overheat the output transistors in the audio amplifier(s) and I had to replace them many times.

WEEO-AM, with their three tower array, had an exaggerated peanut type radiation pattern with a severe null to the northeast in order to protect WNEW-AM in New York City on the same frequency. The tuning in each of the 'doghouses' at the base of each tower was critical and had to be checked no less than weekly. During the late afternoons in the winter before sunset, you could drive about three or four miles northeast of Waynesboro, PA to Pen Mar, MD and be able to hear WNEW-AM in NYC. That's how tight we had to keep the station's radiation pattern.

I recall WEEO doing an AOR format toward the end - I probably was listening in the 1988-1990 timeframe while doing work in the area. Used to drive by its studios on the main drag in Waynesboro on the way to the work site.

Anyone remember Bob Spence at WEEO? Would have been a pre-college intern at the time (I think)

Was morning man in 80s

I’m travis Medcalf I worked at WEEO in a dark period. It had just returned to being 1130 WEEO as a top 40 station after being WBZT a business format with changing those famous call letters for the 2nd disastrous format change after joining the music of your life satellite bandwagon which 5 other AMs in the market did at the launch of satellite format staffing for radio.
The station had been an early LLC as it was leased to this guy who literally sold its record library and control room equipment out of the door. By the time I got there it had been retaken by its Carlisle cable company owners. I remember my paycheck came to me in recycled cable bill envelopes. The station was being sold.
It was a satellite music network AC format with local morning show.
WEEO was sold to these Missouri types who then drove it into the ground by not understanding WEEOs history or impact. Bill mcCary was there brightest light who stayed in the market and I’m sorry to hear of his passing here he was a good guy. The green castle station eventually bought the operation and its demise is documented here.
I have fond memories of WEEO I’m surprised it was so famous considering it was an AM day timer but it was the hit music station with stacks and stacks of wax and wax. And now keystone homes has more property. The studios were a beauty parlor last time I looked.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom