• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Weekend Countdowns

L

lowpower

with all the weekend countdowns that have debuted lately I thought a thread about them as a whole might be a good idea. Rate them on a scale of 1-10 and then give your opinion on them.

MTV TRL (8) The imaging has energy and the countdown seems to keep moving but the host drags it down.

AT40 w/ Ryan Seacrest (6) He's a household name which is good but it doesn't seem as fun as the days of Casey & Rick.

Ringtone Countdown (?) I heard Dave Ryan from KDWB was doing this one but I haven't heard it.

Weekend Countdown w/ Billy Bush (5) This guy sounds like a TV guy who wants to radio and can't. Not a big fan.

WT30 w/ Hollywood Hamilton (7) I've always liked this countdown but it's obvious age is catching up to him and he's starting to sound out of touch now. His energy is great but for being a major market jock he really pukes a lot.

MTV - 4
AT40 - 6 (lacks excitement)
Ringtone - 3 - Really? They are ringtones for a reason. And do they play the entire Mario Brother's theme song each week? This can and should be a 2 minute feature on your morning show. http://nineballradionetworks.com/ringtonecountdown/
Billy - haven't heard
Hollywood - 5
Rick Dees - 5 - cheesy

as one that produces both the Billy Bush weekly show and the countdown (with a plastic bag over my face hoping that i run out of oxygen) I find the countdown surpass dreadful. I'm not sure if it's recurrence of the same "stars" so frequently, his voice being the concerning medium between Tesh & Seacrest, or the inability to sound like there's more to the show than him...like his uncle when he addresses the nation. smug.

But countdown's seem to be over now. So much of the biz is homogenized that a lot of people don't have as much of a connection to the stations and jocks as they once did...I'm not giving a "back in the good 'ol days" speech but countdown's aren't really a highlight anymore.

With the advent of modern technology, a few things have happened.

1. Ryan Seacrest is on DAILY in so many markets now that there's nothing special to his AT40 show, anymore.

2. Local stations can (and some do) produce their OWN weekly countdown show that better represents the LOCAL listeners' song choice.

3. REAL fans of music can find out a WEEK in advance how a song's charting. The shows that come out arrive on FTPs or in station mailboxes with 1-2 weeks' old data.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom