• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDUV...why is it always top-rated?

Thanks for your intelligent reply. I was using that demographic group only as an example (you can pick any one you wish). Your point is well taken - that sales are based on the top of the list downward. I just wonder what some of the lower-rated stations have in mind when they try to copy the essentially same format that everybody else has. I guess they're just hoping for the best.

I know some dj's in New York, they tell me when they vacation in and around Tampabay tune to WDUV and give it good marks...
Here's my question...anyone remember WWBA 107.3 THE BAY? What are your thoughts? Ratings, format etc.

I liked the Bay. A lot better than the Eagle. They played currents and older stuff. Sort of AAA. I liked the acoustic Sundays. They had jocks 24/7 whether they were live or not. I miss it.

Oh yeah, i forgot about that format change...i was talking before that when it was DUVish..

WWBA The Bay as a beautiful music station had a very unique soothing and relaxing sound. I rate it second only to the original beautiful music WDUV Stereo 103.3.

The second incarnation of The Bay as WBBY had a unique AAA sound which I also enjoyed from time-to-time. However, I preferred the former all 70s Coast 107.3 that followed Warm 107.3 and was prior to the second Bay WBBY.

jmtillery said:
WWBA The Bay as a beautiful music station had a very unique soothing and relaxing sound. I rate it second only to the original beautiful music WDUV Stereo 103.3.

The second incarnation of The Bay as WBBY had a unique AAA sound which I also enjoyed from time-to-time. However, I preferred the former all 70s Coast 107.3 that followed Warm 107.3 and was prior to the second Bay WBBY.
Ed Winton owned both "the Bay" (WWBA AM-680 and WWBA-FM 107.3) and "The Ocean" (WOCN AM-1450 and I'm pretty sure WOCN had an FM counterpart); they did cross promotions.

Both were strictly instrumental with a liner that said "Music too beautiful for words"...... I think toward the end of their easy listening format, they might have relented on that.......( not sure). WWBA 680 was strictly a daytimer as most AM stations in the market were in the late 1960's and through the mid to late 1970's. When WWBA 680 signed off, they would remind listeners to switch over to the 107.3 on the FM band.

Both WOCN AM 1450 (still retains the same call letters) and the original WWBA AM-680 are now Spanish language stations.

drt

Indeed, WOCN was on FM too, 94.9, maybe until 1974 when "Zeta 4" (AOR) came on.

cd

cd637299 said:
Indeed, WOCN was on FM too, 94.9, maybe until 1974 when "Zeta 4" (AOR) came on.

cd
Thanks, CD; I can always count on you to know what is and has been going Miami/Dade/Broward and the Keys!

I was pretty sure WOCN was on FM and I was even thinking that it was 94.9, but wasn't sure enough to say so.

drt,
latitude 27.75 north

Thank you. If I only could have recorded airchecks of old FM in south FL in the 60s....they'd be collectors' items.

cd

Drt is correct - in their later days, WWBA did play some vocals. But at least 50% of the music was still instrumental. A little too narrow for my tastes. A good mixture is important, so long as it doesn't go to any extremes.

dwtpa97 said:
Drt is correct - in their later days, WWBA did play some vocals. But at least 50% of the music was still instrumental. A little too narrow for my tastes. A good mixture is important, so long as it doesn't go to any extremes.
Well, I had to be correct eventually! :)

Even a broken clock (in the 12 hour mode) is right twice a day!

drt

Last night WDUV played Al Greene, the Fifth Dimension, and Smoky Robinson back to back. Anybody who was around in the Seventies knows this music included core artists of Urban formated stations (before Hip Hop and Rap) and was in no way seen as fluff or filler music. I would venture that if you remove Anne Murray or the Carpenters, most of what they play was origionally played on major Urban's and CHR's through out the 70's and 80's. I don't see WDUV as some kind of geriatric joke, but as a serious oldies station that showcases American music of the past 50 years or so.

I agree, up to a point. But they are very selective as to the styles they play. They focus on jazzier or "hipper" selections (as opposed to more simple 3-chord music pieces), which clearly shows that the selecting is being done by a much younger staff who wasn't actually around at that time, but which rather is making selective choices based on styles that appeal to them personally.

It's not a bad mix, but it could be better.

What a train wreck. A very soft beautiful music liner going into "Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett? Oh come on now!

Mike Sheridan said:
What a train wreck. A very soft beautiful music liner going into "Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett? Oh come on now!

The automation system does not understand programming nor how to select the right sounding song following certain liners. It gives out whatever is placed within.

jmtillery said:
Mike Sheridan said:

The automation system does not understand programming nor how to select the right sounding song following certain liners. It gives out whatever is placed within.

It's easy to do if you care enough. Every song is in a specific category. Don't put songs from a certain category next to one of those liners. The other way to do it is bring the liners up a notch. They really don't match most of the format.

Mike Sheridan said:
jmtillery said:
Mike Sheridan said:

It's easy to do if you care enough. Every song is in a specific category. Don't put songs from a certain category next to one of those liners. The other way to do it is bring the liners up a notch. They really don't match most of the format.

Sure, it can be done. It takes time, and care, as you mentioned, but, yes, it can be done.

I don't think WDUV ever says "beautiful music" in any of it's liners but, they do use "relaxing ez favortes" alot...
Maybe next time it will play Midnight Hour at noon..

My question is how many songs are in rotation and what system do they use ie: OTS, SCOTTS ETC.

butchfm said:
I don't think WDUV ever says "beautiful music" in any of it's liners but, they do use "relaxing ez favortes" alot...
Maybe next time it will play Midnight Hour at noon..

My question is how many songs are in rotation and what system do they use ie: OTS, SCOTTS ETC.

To me Midnight Hour would not sound right played at noon on any station although, as you said, anything may happen. Then again, I don't believe Midnight Hour fits an "Easy Relaxing Favorites" formatted station, either. To me Easy Relaxing Favorites consists of artist such as Bread, Carly Simon, Neil Diamond, Barbara Streisand, Lional Ritchie, Earl Klough, some America, Melissa Manchester's Midnight Blue, Al Stewart's Year of The Cat (during drive time only) and so on. Drive time should be slightly more up tempo than the rest of the broadcast day. Nights should always be easy and relaxing with nothing anymore uptempo than Midnight Blue , Elton John's Rocket Man or Someone Saved My Life.

Beside Wilson Pickett,they play Fogerty and Boy George. Didja ever think WDUV is really a big joke on the radio audience?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom