• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDCN La Nueva 87.7 Interference on Car Stereo

I was recently talking to someone who lives in Northern Virginia, and she told me that WDCN 87.7 overtakes her car stereo to the point that she can hear it in the background anywhere on the dial. It sounds like she has this issue over a somewhat sizeable geographic area. Has anyone here experienced this same phenomenon, or a theory as to why it would happen? I've had not-very-selective receivers taken over by nearby 50 kW class B's, but nothing like this. And most car radios tend to be pretty selective.

The last time I drove through the idea I was surprised I was able to get traces of the station from Fredericksburg, VA to Frederick, MD. Much more range than I was expecting out of the Franken-FM. I see WDCN-LD is licensed for 3 kW, and I can't seem to find any guidelines on how that power should be divided up, only that the digital ATSC 3.0 video and analog FM audio should have similar coverage areas. Makes me wonder how much power they are really pumping out :unsure:

I was recently talking to someone who lives in Northern Virginia, and she told me that WDCN 87.7 overtakes her car stereo to the point that she can hear it in the background anywhere on the dial. It sounds like she has this issue over a somewhat sizeable geographic area. Has anyone here experienced this same phenomenon, or a theory as to why it would happen? I've had not-very-selective receivers taken over by nearby 50 kW class B's, but nothing like this. And most car radios tend to be pretty selective.

The last time I drove through the idea I was surprised I was able to get traces of the station from Fredericksburg, VA to Frederick, MD. Much more range than I was expecting out of the Franken-FM. I see WDCN-LD is licensed for 3 kW, and I can't seem to find any guidelines on how that power should be divided up, only that the digital ATSC 3.0 video and analog FM audio should have similar coverage areas. Makes me wonder how much power they are really pumping out :unsure:
Probably something to do with the lack of overlapping signals. I've been able to get WRME-LP from Chicago all the way out in Kenosha!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom