• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCNW 1560 Goes Dark. Forever.

I didn’t see this coming but have to admit, every time I dialed up 1560 they seemed to be tracking CDs. You’d hear the 4-5 seconds of silence in between tracks. Only occasionally would an announcer pipe in and it was always the same guy. Virtually no commercials and a notable lack of preaching programs In recent years. Not sure how the station was sustaining itself.

Sad to see the continued demise of AM. But when the land the towers and facilities sits on is more valuable than the station itself, as seems to increasingly be the case all over, I guess it only makes good financial sense.

Im sure the sale of WNLT to EMF helped.

And the commercial AM news talk they own helped

Imagine if atheists or agnostics started buying up stations and using slogans like that erroneous one! I can see an agnostic group going down to Ecuador, reviving the legendary HCJB, but changing its slogan from "Heralding Christ Jesus' Blessings" to "How Could Jesus Be?"
And this could be [or one time was] another thread...what call letters could stand for.: WBBM=World's Biggest Bowel Movement. WMMS=Weed Makes Me Smile.

Im sure the sale of WNLT to EMF helped.

And the commercial AM news talk they own helped
Of course, but apparently not enough. WCNW with its five tower array, separate studio building, and little income became too much of a drain even for WMOH to support. Or the income generated from the 104.3 sale.

It seems like WCNW had a better signal, but a lot more people used to listen to WMOH. I remember WMOH actually having a few listeners in northern Kentucky around the late '70s/early '80s despite the weak signal there. I remember when they had Bob Leonard's ridiculous countdown each Sunday.

Of course, but apparently not enough. WCNW with its five tower array, separate studio building, and little income became too much of a drain even for WMOH to support. Or the income generated from the 104.3 sale.
I suppose WCNW could diplex off 1450 with limited power but it might not be worth it. I can remember WMOH being one of the first Satellite Music Network affiliates in the 80s..

I suppose WCNW could diplex off 1450 with limited power but it might not be worth it. I can remember WMOH being one of the first Satellite Music Network affiliates in the 80s..
I remember that too. And we all moaned that it would be the end of local radio and development of future air talent via small market radio. 😄

Through the ‘70s WMOH was actually a pretty good sounding Top 40 station and spawned a couple of jocks that went on to WKRQ down the road in Cincinnati.

Anyone familiar with this concept? Basically, using a cell tower for an AM broadcast signal?

Cousin Vern is deceased, and she cashed out the 3 FMs she was LMAing to EMF by selling to them. She was probably more than happy to take the money for the tower site for WCNW.
Take what money? The property is still for sale. They also missed an opportunity to get FM translators for both WMOH and WCNW. They didn't even bother to apply for them.

Back
Top Bottom