• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCBS-WFAN same game??

Right now the FAN and NEWS88 are both airing the same Monday Nite NFL game. Can someone please explain this. WFAN jip'ed the game after the Mets game. When did 88 start ??

WCBS carried the NFL Monday night game in its entirety as an overflow for WFAN which carried the Mets game. WFAN joined the NFL broadcast once the Mets broadcast was done.

Actually, you helped explain what happened to me. I tuned into WCBS after 11-pm to check the news and was dismayed at hearing Monday Night football featuring two out-of-town teams. Thankfully, that's not going to happen every Monday night all season.

Apparently, and this is just an educated guess, WFAN is the regular Monday night Dial Global network affiliate in NYC for Monday Night Football, but until the end of the baseball season Mets games come first on The Fan.

So, to keep the revenue in the house CBS moved Monday Night Football to WCBS-AM, and as soon as the Mets game was over WFAN picked it up too. So, WCBS picked up the game from the get-go, and WFAN also took the network feed when it could.

WFAN has carried the Monday Night broadcast for as long as I can remember when there isn't a conflict with another team they carry.

They did something very similar during the Giants playoff run last season, with WFAN carrying the local broadcast and WCBS carrying the Dial Global broadcast for the NFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl. This seems like a new thing, since I remember 1130 and even 92.3 during the Free FM-era used as overflow stations for Monday Night games.

They should have sent the overflow Giants games last season to Bloomberg Radio 1130 for the national feed of the playoffs

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom