• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBZ Traffic Reporter

D

DaveyC

It's 11:03pm Saturday June 18 and just heard "Mighty Mike" Osborne doing "Traffic on the 3's" on 'BZ. What's up with that?

> It's 11:03pm Saturday June 18 and just heard "Mighty Mike"
> Osborne doing "Traffic on the 3's" on 'BZ. What's up with
> that?
>

Dont know whats up with THAT but I heard Mighty Mike doing his Oldies shift on Saturday morning.

Ummm.....do you really need a traffic report at 1103pm?? On what area(s) was he reporting??

If you don't think a major market news radio station needs traffic reports at night, try convincing WCBS, KYW, and WINS (just to a name a few) to ditch nighttime traffic reports. For example, most of the time, there is some kind of overnight construction project going on somewhere that ties up traffic. I think that is worth mentioning during a nighttime traffic report, if there aren't any other problems and/or traffic jams to mention.
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Shawn O'Domski on 06/19/05 06:22 AM.</FONT></P>

The usual Boston/Metro areas. He went by Mike Osborne...He dropped the "Mighty". With a previous post stating JJ Wright is doing the top of the hour 'BZ news intros, could it be we'll soon be hearing 'BZ staffers on WODS?

> For example, most of the time, there is some kind of
> overnight construction project going on somewhere that ties
> up traffic.

I stand corrected because that would pretty much be the whole city of Boston ;o)

YES... you need traffic reports... now, if you want to talk about how WBZ's reports sometimes are behind and not always quick to report problems, well that's another issue. But I want to know about the closures late at night when I'm coming home from something in town.

> > For example, most of the time, there is some kind of
> > overnight construction project going on somewhere that
> ties
> > up traffic.
>
> I stand corrected because that would pretty much be the
> whole city of Boston ;o)
>
Saturday morning - 2:48 am.

After arriving at Logan Airport, I made the mistake of taking the Ted Williams Tunnel only to find that all freeways in Boston were closed. Add in the very Boston habit on NO detour signs and overpaid (and underworked) detail officers, and we had ourselves a huge traffic jam trying to head north. I couldn't believe it - quarter to 3 in the am and it was 5 pm style traffic! Was stuck in it for 45 minutes.

And, guess what? WBZ's 3:03 am report did a horrible job with it. Only a mention of the "usual" detours and no mention of the big rollover accident that we saw being cleared on southbound 93 in Somerville.

So, yes traffic reports are necessary in Boston all night. And, no, they are neither timely nor particularly accurate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom