• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBMX calls transferred?

A post on the Chicago board states an application has been filed (as has been rumoured) to transfer the WBMX calls to 104.3 FM in Chicago.

It sounds like the transfer was approved. Without skipping a beat, I swear that Mix is now using the WWBX calls!

Call letter changes and LMA approvals are faster than ownership change approvals.The CBS into Entercom, iHeart, Beasley deals maybe get OK'd early next year.Don't know when KOX is put into trust/sold but that is holding up iHeart getting RKO.

Awhile back I looked at the site for WRVA Richmond VA which Entercom is getting and it still says iHeart (while stations like WBZ, WKAF and WZLX say iHeart) but their Jeff Katz said on Facebook people could hear him on the radio.com app (CBS, and now Entercom)

The Richmond and Chattanooga stations Entercom acquired from iHeart went on the Radio.com app on Monday 12/4. As of late last week, they hadn't yet been added to TuneIn and remain on iHeartRadio. Not sure when that part changes. WMJX remains on iHeartRadio as well, but it went on Radio.com within a few days of the Beasley/Entercom swap.

The Richmond and Chattanooga stations Entercom acquired from iHeart went on the Radio.com app on Monday 12/4. As of late last week, they hadn't yet been added to TuneIn and remain on iHeartRadio. Not sure when that part changes.

My experience with TuneIn is it may be a while. Small staff there, and adding new FM streams isn't really their main priority.

My experience with TuneIn is it may be a while. Small staff there, and adding new FM streams isn't really their main priority.

I'm inclined to agree. TuneIn seems to have cut staff over the last year to 18 months. It was around a year ago when it stopped accepting user submitted streams. Shortly before that, of course, it started pushing its own premium product. That seems to be a higher priority. Both the desktop and iOS apps are nowhere near as rich of an experience as they used to be either. I understand some of the features removed from both are available for premium users.

Shortly before that, of course, it started pushing its own premium product. That seems to be a higher priority.

That's correct...the unfortunate part is their own premium product is largely disposable. But they've invested a lot in it, and it will be make or break. It may be the last of that kind of multi-owner FM streaming source, as everyone seems to be building their own platform.

Speaking of what is now WWBX 104.1, Fybush's North East Radio Watch mentioned today that WAAF will be on the HD2 of WEEI-FM 93.7 (currently has WRKO on HD2, WAAF on HD3) and on the HD2 of WWBX 104.1. At some point RKO migrates to iHeart (maybe for now Ent. would put RKO on 93.7's HD3?)

WAAF is now on 104.1 HD2. No more "'80s Channel". HD3 is still Christian "Mercy Rock".

98.5 all HD appears to be completely off at the moment.

100.7 HD2 "Radio Mojo" is just a blank carrier right now. Could be an impeding change, or the playback computer could just have gone down. "The Lounge" is still on HD3.

Last edited:
As Eli said the 98.5 HD2 and 3 were off the air "at the moment"..but now someone noted on facebook WBCN was back on the HD2.I checked and it is.Marley " No woman no cry" then "This is the legendary Rock of Boston.WBZ-FM HD2" (did not say WBCN)

Correction: 104.1 HD3 is no longer Christian "Mercy Rock". It's now a CHR new releases channel called "Tomorrow's Hits Today" (or something like that).

As Eli said the 98.5 HD2 and 3 were off the air "at the moment"..but now someone noted on facebook WBCN was back on the HD2.I checked and it is.Marley " No woman no cry" then "This is the legendary Rock of Boston.WBZ-FM HD2" (did not say WBCN)

Don't understand why since Beasley owns the call letters WBCN.

BTW: Can there be three WBZ's all owned by different companies. AM, FM, & TV?

Also the HD is off on 103.3 but Oldies HD2 and The Cove HD3 are on Tune in.

Last edited:
Don't understand why since Beasley owns the call letters WBCN.

WBCN was owned by CBS when they killed it here in Boston.

To prevent a competitor from getting the calls they parked them on an extended band AM in North Carolina.

At some point not too much later, Beasley and CBS do a bunch of swaps, whole markets traded for other markets...

That is how Beasley got all their Tampa stations from CBS

WBCN was one of the stations involved in the swaps.

Beasley then decides to get into the big leagues and buys Greater Media, including the GM Boston cluster, and they already owned WRCA in the Boston market and bought the 106.1 translator CP from Radio One to pair with WRCA before the Greater Media sale closed.

Could Beasley bring back the calls to Boston?

Yes, but why would they. There is no upside to it.

Yes, but why would they. There is no upside to it.[/QUOTE]

When they did Patriots games on 104.1, they called it the WBCN radio network, but I was just talking about their HD2 channel on 98.5.

Yes, but why would they. There is no upside to it.

When they did Patriots games on 104.1, they called it the WBCN radio network, but I was just talking about their HD2 channel on 98.5.

The sweat equity of prettying up your HD channels is not a priority for any of the stations that are going through ownership changes, personnel moves, moving studios, etc. Plus, who knows if Beasley even cares about the WBCN brand on that HD channel in the long run. It could be something completely different once they get to that priority level on the things to do checklist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom