• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBLZ

alans613 said:
Jason Roberts said:
chrisalcorn said:
Yeah I wanted to mention WDAO 1077...what led to their demise??? It also was s great station that had a nice signal in the Cincinnati area. They always played "strong" songs that others wouldn't. Now its WDHT which is great and also a station I could pick up here easily until WPBK signed on and there went WDHT ughhh.

WDAO was owned by the WAVI Broadcasting Corporation (for which WAVI-AM, 1210 was the sister station).

Around 1984, they were sold to new owners, which had no intention whatsoever to own a black formatted radio station. (Still, I guess, the day and age when there were "no black dictates" among some advertisers and agencies). They saw more money making potential in an A/C format, which is where the station is today.

WDAO's intellectual property, and WAVI-AM however, was purchased by a former station sales exec named Jim Johnson, who put WDAO on the 1210 AM frequency...where it exists, as a daytimer, to this day.
I remember the WDAO flip back when I was a kid. I always loved WDAO. I remember them playing "Operator" by Midnight Star & "Basketball" by Kurtis Blow, & of course "The Freaks Come Out At Night". Who bought WDAO in 1984? I remember reading somewhere that before they named the station Star 107.7 that their intention was to name it Sunny 107.7, but changed their minds b/c of Sunny 95 in Columbus.

Wasn't it Stoner Broadcasting?

It was Stoner Broadcastiing. Here is the info from Wkipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WDAO#FM_History

Bud Crowl sold both WDAO-FM and WAVI-AM to Stoner Broadcasting shortly before his death in 1985. Stoner chose to move WDAO to the former WAVI AM frequency and rebranding the FM as adult contemporary WWSN "Star 107.7" (now Clear Channel-owned WMMX "Mix 107.7.") where both remain to this day. WDAO's morning soul gospel DJ and WDAO's top salesperson, Jim Johnson became station manager of WDAO while Alan Gray became General Manager for both stations. Johnson eventually purchased WDAO-AM from Stoner when they were no longer interested in the station. Stoner merged with Jacor in the 1990s and later with Clear Channel Communications in 1998.

How long was Dayton without an FM urban station once WDAO moved to AM? I thought WROUsigned on in 1993. Is that right? They had a similar sound as 107.7 had.

microbob said:
How long was Dayton without an FM urban station once WDAO moved to AM? I thought WROUsigned on in 1993. Is that right? They had a similar sound as 107.7 had.
WROU signed on in the Fall of 1991. Their first song was "I Love Your Smile" by Shanice.

Radio One destroyed U92 and that was a shame since they were locally owned and served the community. Getting back on topic, I would love to have the WBLZ calls back in Cincinnati again. 100.3 would have been a perfect spot on the dial if they didn't decide to go to a sports format.

I remember Tony Mann very well.

microbob said:
microbob said:
Anyone know the lineup at WBLZ in its Chr/Urban days? I remember listening to Mike Motley, Linda Shane, Not sure who was their morning news anchor but I think he stayed on when they flipped to oldies as WGRR and did commentary as well. I agree, the processing at the time was excellent. Very hot sounding.

Tony Mann is his name. He also did commentary with One Mann's opinion.

I was going to WSU in Dayton at time, it was around '93 in that ballpark.

microbob said:

Ok, I stand corrected, knew it was in that time frame.

alans613 said:
microbob said:
WROU signed on in the Fall of 1991. Their first song was "I Love Your Smile" by Shanice.

Does anyone know what happened to Mike Motley? Former morning guy on WBLZ. I know He went to 92X in Columbus and Hot 105.7/107.1 after that. If memory is correct He briefly hosted a video countdown show on the old WIII Ch64 that featured artists that WBLZ played at that time. According to wikipedia, Tony Michaels was the morning news anchor who did commentary. Not Tony Mann as I had thought. He was also part of the original WGRR lineup with Ken Mathews in morning drive.

Started my career there...GREAT learning experience working for Brian Castle and Steve Sloan...I remember "Shabadoo" training me my first night on-air in the old bank building in Hamilton, only to experience an earthquake while doing my FIRST BREAK LIVE ON-AIR...'BLZ was doing a Rhythmic CHR format before the business defined the format in the late 80's/early 90's...at the time I was there, 'BLZ and WTLC/Indy were sister stations...

Apparently, WBLZ played Men At Work more than the local AOR stations did. Not positive, but that appears to be the case.

I don't remember hearing Men At Work on WEBN or WSKS hardly ever (despite the band's success on the Album Rock Tracks chart).

See if you remember this line-up on WBLZ:

6 - 10 a.m. Mike Motley
10 a.m. - noon Brian Castle (Program Director)
Noon - 2 p.m. Joe Demma (Production Director)
2 - 6 p.m. Darrell Mitchell
6 - 10 p.m. Linda Shane
10 p.m.-2 a.m.- Gary Weiler (Music Directior)
2-6 a.m. Steve "Sha-ba-doo" Sloan

Remember Joe Demma and Darrell Mitchell.

TANKSBACK said:
See if you remember this line-up on WBLZ:

6 - 10 a.m. Mike Motley
10 a.m. - noon Brian Castle (Program Director)
Noon - 2 p.m. Joe Demma (Production Director)
2 - 6 p.m. Darrell Mitchell
6 - 10 p.m. Linda Shane
10 p.m.-2 a.m.- Gary Weiler (Music Directior)
2-6 a.m. Steve "Sha-ba-doo" Sloan

microbob said:
I remember listening to Mike Motley, Linda Shane
Where is Linda Shane today? I worked with her at WENS 97.1 in Indy in the early or mid 80's.

Darrell Mitchell sounded great in afternoon drive. The entire station was lineup was good. I think Brian Castle went to a station in Las Vegas and Linda Shane moved on to Indy. I'm not sure of the rest of the jocks are or if they are still in the biz.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom