• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wbeb

could Jerry Lee prefer to sell WBEB to an independent owner like himself ?

And avoid selling it to corporate radio.

Or-- will he get the most $$$ & sell to the highest qualified bidder ?

could Jerry Lee prefer to sell WBEB to an independent owner like himself ?

The answer to the "could" question is sure. But how many independent owners can afford to pay $70 million for a station, perhaps also assume a $20 million note, and continue to operate the station the way it's been run?

The obvious corporate owners are either maxed out as far as ownership limits, or stretched financially. Entercom just did a big deal with Lincoln Financial a few months ago. Of course CBS just did their trade with Beasley. It would be a big nut to swallow.

According to Tom Taylor, Jerry Lee had approached Dan Savadove former CEO of Main Line Broadcasting, a small group of 19 stations based in Philadelphia, but it was unsuccessful.

Last edited:
cbs might sell WPHT. And buy WBEB & keep AC on it.
Would the fcc approve that ?

I would think they should. WPHT is truly underperforming in all aspects. Now here's the question, do CBS take the Phillies off of 1210 WPHT and air the games on 94 WIP only, if the station is sold?

Not sure that it would be worth the money just to put a notch in a belt.

Their CEO just did a conference call yesterday with investors. I don't recall him talking about acquisitions at all. The main subject was making the current stations cost effective. WBEB operates very differently from Cumulus. I'd say that's an understatement.

Well maybe Lew Dickey didn't know WBEB was available. It's profitable right? How much would it sell for ?

Inside Radio is reporting:

No deal, and Jerry Lee’s in no rush to sell.

A pending deal to sell Jerry Lee’s “More FM” WBEB, Philadelphia (101.1) collapsed after a well-heeled billionaire backed away from providing the cash needed to finance the acquisition. For Lee, it’s now back to operating the station with no active sales effort underway to secure a backup buyer.

If Daniel Lerner sold out with Y-100, after he swore he would never abandon the Alternative format or the station, then sold to R1. I am sure Jerry would sell to the highest bidder no matter who it was...

Well maybe Lew Dickey didn't know WBEB was available. It's profitable right? How much would it sell for ?

It's Philly's most profitable station. With a reasoned estimate of the cash flow, it might be worth $65 to $85 million.

If Daniel Lerner sold out with Y-100, after he swore he would never abandon the Alternative format or the station, then sold to R1. I am sure Jerry would sell to the highest bidder no matter who it was...

One doesn't have anything to do with another, though. Different people, different circumstances.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom