• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WB/UPN Merger in Rochester, Syracuse and Utica

ShaunAndrews

Inactive
Inactive User
So who's gonna get CW (the new UPN/WB merger network) in our Upstate cities?

The WB is on cable only in Rochester and Utica, with UPN on low-power stations. Do you put it on the cable only or on the over-the-air signal(which are on cable too) no matter how low power it is. I mean every extra viewer helps, right?!

In Syracuse it's a fight between WNYS and WSTM's LP UPN. WNYS probably, if only becuase of the better signal.

I have no clue about the WB/UPN situation in Albany/Buffalo...

In Buffalo it is between WNLO 23 (upn) and WNYO 49 (wb).

My educated guess is that the new network goes to WNLO.

> In Buffalo it is between WNLO 23 (upn) and WNYO 49 (wb).
>
> My educated guess is that the new network goes to WNLO.
>

In Binghamton, there's WBPN-LP 10 (UPN) operated by WICZ-TV 40 (FOX) and WBXI-CA (WB) operated by WBNG-TV 12 (CBS).<P ID="signature">______________
Jon Scaptura
Binghamton Radio Archive
http://www.BinghamtonRadio.com
</P>

> > In Buffalo it is between WNLO 23 (upn) and WNYO 49 (wb).
> >
> > My educated guess is that the new network goes to WNLO.
> >
>
> In Binghamton, there's WBPN-LP 10 (UPN) operated by WICZ-TV
> 40 (FOX) and WBXI-CA (WB) operated by WBNG-TV 12 (CBS).
>

In Albany/Schenectady, you have WEWB-TV (WB) channel 45 in Schenectady and rimshot WNYA-TV (UPN) channel 51 in Pittsfield, MA. Tribune owns WEWB-TV. That plus the better signal in the Capital District should guarantee that channel 45 will be the new CW affiliate.
<P ID="signature">______________
#13 Dan Marino...2005 Football Hall Of Fame Inductee :)</P>

> > > In Buffalo it is between WNLO 23 (upn) and WNYO 49 (wb).
>
> > >
> > > My educated guess is that the new network goes to WNLO.
> > >
> >
> > In Binghamton, there's WBPN-LP 10 (UPN) operated by
> WICZ-TV
> > 40 (FOX) and WBXI-CA (WB) operated by WBNG-TV 12 (CBS).
> >
>
> In Albany/Schenectady, you have WEWB-TV (WB) channel 45 in
> Schenectady and rimshot WNYA-TV (UPN) channel 51 in
> Pittsfield, MA. Tribune owns WEWB-TV. That plus the better
> signal in the Capital District should guarantee that channel
> 45 will be the new CW affiliate.

It's already been announced as such, in the press release that apparently nobody's read all the way through.

In Rochester, the Time Warner ownership of "WRWB" cable 16 should be more than enough to keep the CW there, which leaves WBGT-CA stranded without an affiliation.

Syracuse and Buffalo will both depend on some larger group dynamics. The CW needs Raycom's WUAB in Cleveland (now UPN) in that large market, so that could be enough leverage for Raycom to get a group deal that also includes WSTQ. But the network also needs Sinclair in many markets (like Milwaukee, for instance, where Sinclair owns both WB and UPN outlets), and it's already shafting Sinclair in Pittsburgh and Tampa, where it will lose WB affiliations. So guaranteeing the CW to WNYS and WNYO may be in order so the CW can get Sinclair affiliates in other markets as well.

LIN, which owns WNLO, is also getting shafted by the CW in Indianapolis and Hartford, where it will be losing UPN affiliations to existing Tribune-owned WB stations. LIN may be peeved enough to want to drop CW in Buffalo as well, or it may be more determined to keep the network there.

In Binghamton, it's anyone's guess whether WBPN-CA or cable-only "WBXI" will get the affiliation; it all depends on whether cheapskate Stainless or super-cheapskate Granite digs deeper to reach an affiliation deal.

Elmira pits a cable-only WB against Clear Channel's WTTX-CA (UPN).

Utica puts cable-only "WBU" (operated by WKTV, if memory serves) against the UPN LPTV that's part of the WUTR/WFXV cluster.

I've lost track of what Watertown has.

And in Plattsburgh/Burlington, UPN is on WGMU-CA and its relays, while WB airs out-of-pattern on Fox affiliate WFFF.

Interesting times ahead...<P ID="signature">______________
Tower Site Calendar 2006 JUST RELEASED! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.fybush.com/nerw.html#calendar>www.fybush.com</a></P>

> Syracuse and Buffalo will both depend on some larger group
> dynamics. The CW needs Raycom's WUAB in Cleveland (now UPN)
> in that large market, so that could be enough leverage for
> Raycom to get a group deal that also includes WSTQ. But the
> network also needs Sinclair in many markets (like Milwaukee,
> for instance, where Sinclair owns both WB and UPN outlets),
> and it's already shafting Sinclair in Pittsburgh and Tampa,
> where it will lose WB affiliations. So guaranteeing the CW
> to WNYS and WNYO may be in order so the CW can get Sinclair
> affiliates in other markets as well.
>
> LIN, which owns WNLO, is also getting shafted by the CW in
> Indianapolis and Hartford, where it will be losing UPN
> affiliations to existing Tribune-owned WB stations. LIN may
> be peeved enough to want to drop CW in Buffalo as well, or
> it may be more determined to keep the network there.

Thats a good analysis.

But if was a betting man, I say that CW will go to WNLO but at the same time might also go to WNYS.

Syracuse / Utica / Watertown

> Syracuse and Buffalo will both depend on some larger group
> dynamics. The CW needs Raycom's WUAB in Cleveland (now UPN)
> in that large market, so that could be enough leverage for
> Raycom to get a group deal that also includes WSTQ. But the
> network also needs Sinclair in many markets (like Milwaukee,
> for instance, where Sinclair owns both WB and UPN outlets),
> and it's already shafting Sinclair in Pittsburgh and Tampa,
> where it will lose WB affiliations. So guaranteeing the CW
> to WNYS and WNYO may be in order so the CW can get Sinclair
> affiliates in other markets as well.

True on the "group dynamics," however, with some caveats. WNYS is a full-power station, whereas WSTQ is low-power. Time Warner isn't "required" to carry WSTQ, and could theoretically drop it at anytime... whereas WNYS is covered by the must-carry rules. If I were the network, I'd want the station that's guaranteed to continue receving cable penetration.

Also, WNYS has been affiliated with WB longer than WSTQ has even been in existence. I would hope that is considered as well.

Finally, it's been announced that WSTM/WSTQ are up for sale. Big article in the paper a few months ago about how Raycom is ready to unload them if/when an interested buyer comes along. The only "favor" CW could give Raycom in Syracuse would be to keep WSTQ somewhat "attractive" to a potential buyer... without a network, WSTQ is not much more than an outlet for infomercials all day, and a 10PM newscast to squeeze more work and profit out of WSTM's staff.

> Utica puts cable-only "WBU" (operated by WKTV, if memory
> serves) against the UPN LPTV that's part of the WUTR/WFXV
> cluster.

This one's a toughie. I was once told that TimeWarner and a former owner of WFXV had a grudge against each other, so when WPNY (the UPN affiliate) was launched, TW purposely snubbed it because WPNY was low power, and therefore, they don't "have" to carry it. To this day, they don't, even though do they carry low-power WSTQ.

TW also originally carried Utica's WBU, but dropped it when WNYS went to WB affiliation. Right now, WBU is only carried by Adelphia in/near Utica (but not Rome), and MAYBE on TW's Ilion system.

What happens when Time Warner takes over Adelphia? The "new regime" could opt to drop WBU altogether. After all, it's not a true TV station in the eyes of the FCC, so nothing requires TW to carry it... and since TW's Rome/Oneida/Sylvan Beach lineup already includes Utica full-power stations and Syracuse stations, it would satisfy must-carry for Utica, while also providing WSTQ and/or WPNY from Syracuse... but it doesn't include WBU.

If WBU doesn't have a home on the lineup in Utica, it doesn't have a home at all. That's why I would side with WPNY... even though TW doesn't carry WPNY, at least it's viewable over the air, whereas WBU is not, and probably never will be, unless it becomes a "subchannel" of the future WKTV-DT. And with new ownership at WPNY, maybe TW could eventually be persuaded to pick it up. Even if that never happens, at least people without cable would still have a station to watch CW network.

> I've lost track of what Watertown has.

If I remember correctly, there is a cable-only WBWT, which is paired with WWTI... and last I knew, UPN was on WLOT 66. Even though there's no massive changes coming to Watertown's cable setup, I would still side with WLOT because nothing concretely guarantees WBWT's slot on cable, whereas WLOT is still going to have an on-air signal whether it's on cable or not.

I don't think it's going to matter who ends up with CW in Binghamton. I still believe Malara will eventually purchase WICZ/WBPN from Stainless and move everything over to WBNG.

> In Buffalo it is between WNLO 23 (upn) and WNYO 49 (wb).
>
> My educated guess is that the new network goes to WNLO.
>

Naahhh.... I think it is going to WNYO. I just have a gut feeling they will get the affiliation.

In Rochester I think it will be WB16 on cable (due to Time Warner's influence)

In Syracuse I predict it will be WNYS.

In Utica I predict it will be WPNY.

> I don't think it's going to matter who ends up with CW in
> Binghamton. I still believe Malara will eventually purchase
> WICZ/WBPN from Stainless and move everything over to WBNG.

That would be a tough sell to the FCC. The Malara/Granite deals barely squeaked past Commission scrutiny in Fort Wayne and Duluth, and each of those markets had four commercial TV stations with three owners still standing even after the Malara/Granite LMAs took effect.

WBGH-CA doesn't count as a station in the FCC's math, since it's an LPTV, and it wouldn't count as a separate TV voice in the market anyway, since it simulcasts WIVT's news.

So by the FCC's math - and in reality, too - Binghamton would be left with just two commercial TV voices, WBNG/WICZ/WBPN and WIVT/WBGH, after such a merger.

Malara/Granite would have to show that WICZ is a failing station and that the only way to save it is to partner it with WBNG, and the opposition from Clear Channel would no doubt be fierce.

Do Malara and Granite have the regulatory pull to get something like this past the Commission, especially in light of the layoffs and consolidations in Fort Wayne and Duluth that opponents would no doubt point to?<P ID="signature">______________
Tower Site Calendar 2006 JUST RELEASED! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.fybush.com/nerw.html#calendar>www.fybush.com</a></P>

Re: Syracuse / Utica / Watertown

> True on the "group dynamics," however, with some caveats.
> WNYS is a full-power station, whereas WSTQ is low-power.
> Time Warner isn't "required" to carry WSTQ, and could
> theoretically drop it at anytime... whereas WNYS is covered
> by the must-carry rules. If I were the network, I'd want
> the station that's guaranteed to continue receving cable
> penetration.

Except that TW co-owns the CW, and thus would carry whatever has the CW, one assumes. (This assumes that TW controls most or all of the cable households at issue.)

The argument about working with Raycom, however, makes much sense in light of issues in other Raycom cities.

> What happens when Time Warner takes over Adelphia? The "new
> regime" could opt to drop WBU altogether. After all, it's
> not a true TV station in the eyes of the FCC, so nothing
> requires TW to carry it...

Again, except that TW will carry some CW station on its cable systems, be it OTA, cable-only or out-of-market import.

> > I don't think it's going to matter who ends up with CW in
> > Binghamton. I still believe Malara will eventually
> purchase
> > WICZ/WBPN from Stainless and move everything over to WBNG.
>
>
> That would be a tough sell to the FCC. The Malara/Granite
> deals barely squeaked past Commission scrutiny in Fort Wayne
> and Duluth, and each of those markets had four commercial TV
> stations with three owners still standing even after the
> Malara/Granite LMAs took effect.
>
> WBGH-CA doesn't count as a station in the FCC's math, since
> it's an LPTV, and it wouldn't count as a separate TV voice
> in the market anyway, since it simulcasts WIVT's news.
>
> So by the FCC's math - and in reality, too - Binghamton
> would be left with just two commercial TV voices,
> WBNG/WICZ/WBPN and WIVT/WBGH, after such a merger.
>
> Malara/Granite would have to show that WICZ is a failing
> station and that the only way to save it is to partner it
> with WBNG, and the opposition from Clear Channel would no
> doubt be fierce.
>
> Do Malara and Granite have the regulatory pull to get
> something like this past the Commission, especially in light
> of the layoffs and consolidations in Fort Wayne and Duluth
> that opponents would no doubt point to?
>

Scott,

Your assessment that the Malara/Granite deals "squeeked" through the FCC is false. Despite the bluster from Hubbard in Duluth, the arrangement went through quite easily. Even the folks at Hubbard knew they had little chance at scuttling the deal.

The failing station theory would only apply if Granite wanted to buy WICZ. Because Granite and Malara are completely separate entities, the two are considered separate voices. Take a look at Casper Wyoming. Every television station except the NBC affiliate is run out of the same building by the same people even though they are licensed to separate entities.

Unless the FCC is going to reverse every decision it made with Nexstar and Mission, Malara would have no problem acquiring WICZ.

Have any entertainment critics in Rochester, Syracuse or Buffalo made any predictions on this yet?

> Have any entertainment critics in Rochester, Syracuse or
> Buffalo made any predictions on this yet?

We would have to have entertainment critics in Rochester, first. The most the local monopoly excuse for a newspaper here could rouse itself to do was to run a wire-service story, without even localizing it with the names of the affiliates here. I wish there were some way I could cancel my subscription to the thing again. It's that bad.

The Buffalo News, by contrast, had a long Alan Pergament article interviewing the GMs of WNYO and WNLO, both of whom were as surprised by the news as everyone else. Nobody knows what'll happen there yet, and I stand by my contention that both there and in Syracuse, the decision will end up being made by larger group-wide deals involving Sinclair, LIN and Raycom.<P ID="signature">______________

> Your assessment that the Malara/Granite deals "squeeked"
> through the FCC is false. Despite the bluster from Hubbard
> in Duluth, the arrangement went through quite easily. Even
> the folks at Hubbard knew they had little chance at
> scuttling the deal.
>
> The failing station theory would only apply if Granite
> wanted to buy WICZ. Because Granite and Malara are
> completely separate entities, the two are considered
> separate voices. Take a look at Casper Wyoming. Every
> television station except the NBC affiliate is run out of
> the same building by the same people even though they are
> licensed to separate entities.
>
> Unless the FCC is going to reverse every decision it made
> with Nexstar and Mission, Malara would have no problem
> acquiring WICZ.

Sadly, you're probably right.

There are a few factors that could still make Binghamton a little harder to pull off than Duluth and Fort Wayne, though. The FCC would have to approve joint control of 2 of 3 commercial stations in Binghamton, versus 2 of 4 in the other markets (never mind that in both cases, the fourth station is an also-ran Fox with minimal local presence.)

There's also the politics behind it. It's one thing to tussle with Hubbard in Duluth or LIN in Fort Wayne, and I agree with you that the Hubbard opposition was more bluster than substance. In Binghamton, though, the ox that would be gored is Clear Channel's, and their lobbyists are a few cuts above whatever Hubbard or LIN can muster.

Having family in Fort Wayne, I saw firsthand the lack of local political outcry about the deal, which was no great surprise - with no track record to point to, there was no reason for the local politicos not to believe the spin that Granite put on the deal. By the time the locals figured out what was really happening, it was too late.

Binghamton could be different. There's now ample, and ugly, evidence of how bad the Granite/Malara deals were for news staffs - and, by extension, viewers - in Fort Wayne and Duluth, and no reason to think things would be any different in Binghamton. Maurice Hinchey's a loud enough voice in Congress to make some noise about the deal, if the locals press him to do so, and just imagine what a Governor Spitzer might say about it.

Of course, the saving grace here for Granite could be the lowly position of WICZ in the market. It's hardly a competitive operation as it is, and folding its lone half-hour nightly newscast into the WBNG fold wouldn't be as traumatic as the loss of WISE or KDLH were. There's even the valid argument to be made that a 10 PM standalone Fox newscast couldn't survive in much larger Syracuse, Buffalo or Rochester.

I suspect that the real argument to be made against a WBNG/WICZ deal would come not from the loss of a news voice but from the advertisers' perspective, since it would leave just two companies selling all the broadcast TV spot time in town.

It's also worth observing that there's presently a massive disconnect between the FCC's TV policy, as expressed in the Malara/Granite decisions, and its radio policy. In the radio arena, the Malara stations would be counted against Granite's ownership caps. If the FCC ever issues a coherent revision of its overall newspaper-radio-TV ownership rules, this inconsistency would have to be addressed somehow.

And depending on who ends up in the White House in 2008 (and controlling Congress this fall), this could all change again, anyway. <P ID="signature">______________

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom